Backspin advice? | Golden Skate

Backspin advice?

Yazmeen

On the Ice
Backspin advice, please

Since I'm just starting backspin, and I know its a skill that many skaters struggle/obssess/SCREAM over, I'd appreciate any advice and pearls of wisdom those of you who can perform this skill can offer. I just started it, and I'm getting the "three turn fold" and getting backwards at least. What do you suggest?

Thanks a bunch!!!

:) Yaz

Lanie

On the Ice
I feel your pain! I had a lot of problems with this one at first. Number one in PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE! Remember to get a good inside glide, and keep your arms in the correct position. Don't spin until you're in the perfect spot; if your rink's boards have little signs on them like mine do, point one out where you need to start spinning. Bring in the free leg tight. I hope this helps. :)

aly*cutie

On the Ice
I know these were bad for me too at first, remember to go in on an outside edge, bend, and snap. And just practice a lot! :)

megsk8z

On the Ice
A friend of mine with a truly killer backspin once said to me that I need to "get comfortable" when I first go into the backspin. Don't worry about pulling in until you feel secure on your skating leg (this doesn't take long after a while). He said to get the "set" position right and the spin will just naturally follow.

SugarCoated

Rinkside
im starting my backspin too. Gr it seems soooo simple and when my coach made me try it a couple of hundred times its way harder then i thought. I agree with megsk8z to get comfortable. My coach also said not to rock back onto my heel otherwise youll fall backwards. Kind of common sense but its nice to be reminded lol.

icedream

Rinkside
i'm learning the back scratch spin as well. I did it once, but i don't know how! Its so hard! ahhhh!!! :\

Lcp88

On the Ice
I have one word for this spin: YUCK! Try going into it from a left inside edge, stepping onto your right, and snapping around with your arms pulled in as tight as you can. I always ended up doing mulitple three turns instead of actually spinning when I first started it. It took me a solid year to finally be able to get it where it needs to be. Still, though, I can't do it consistently in any combonation.
Laura

Glacierskater

On the Ice
YAZMEEN,

I have been doing this spin for a while. I actually started it when I was learning the flip, and change foot spin. I have a new coach and we worked on this today in our first lesson. He said that I need to make sure that my arms are in the correct position (your coach should have shown you), and then make sure that you have the free leg up at the snap, and before you start to pull in, make sure that you are well balanced. I had to make sure that I was bringing my free leg around because I was resembling a boy dog lifting his leg at first. I will be practicing this right along with you, as I have not mastered this...just wanted to share my new info with you. I hope it helps...if not, this piece if advice will: make sure you have booty pads...I have been practicing so much lately that I am finding new places to hurt from falling on them.

Glacier

Cinderella on Ice

Bless you, Fairy Godmother, I'm Having a BALL!
On the Ice
Someone once told me their coach said to imagine as if you are just trying to spin on your little pinky toe, but not the other toes (so it keeps you from going up onto your toepicks). By concentrating on just the pinky toe, It helps you stay on the outside edge and more on the ball of your foot. It certainly helped me, as I too struggle with the back spin or back scratch and it sometimes comes and goes.

Glacierskater

On the Ice
I have been told the same thing be several people about the pinky toe...my coach will sometimes yell it across the ice and it sounds funny...but it does work.

Yazmeen

On the Ice
Thanks for all the advice, everyone!

Yes, Glacier, I have skatingsafe pads for knees, hips and tailbone, and I just found and bought his little glove pads to protect the hands and wrists, so now I feel much better about trying this. (My biggest falling fear with a backspin or eventually the loop is that I'll nail and break one of my wrist bones). I'll be back on ice tomorrow, although my coach isn't in this week and I think I'll ask my hubby's coach (who is giving me one lesson this week) to work on crossovers, not spins. I really like her crossover advice, so I think its MITF week for me!!!!

Glacierskater

On the Ice
I am going to have to invest in the wrist pads also. I have been working endlessly on my loop and flip and falling so much. I have bruised the pads on my hands from hitting them. I have been trained to keep them up, so that I do not break them, but I have not been quick enough. My hands are really sore. I don't want to break anything.

SugarCoated

Rinkside
all these tips, im deff going to have to use some once my lessons start up again. I should get some of those pads, aren't they restrictive?