The Jumps in Figure Skating | Golden Skate

The Jumps in Figure Skating

(This is just something to mull over while waiting for Worlds)

With the exception of little jumps like a half loop or any jump that ends in a bunny hop, all jumps look the same in the air, rotate in the same direction in the air, and all land on the same one foot on a back outside edge. Some jumps end on a back inside edge but not when it is a Triple Jump - not that it can't, it's just too difficult and is not rewarded in the base values of scoring.

I think the problem with many jumps is caused by a faulty take off. The take off is, imo, the most important part of a jump, and it gives the jump a name, It is totally obvious in the Axel. One can see a problem at the take-off. There is a loss of proper posture in the air giving way to a fall or a screwed up landing.

The edge jumps do not seem to present much problem because prerotation is not a fault and it gives time for the skater to find that solid edge for a take-off. The Sal Chow has become much safer by keeping their legs together before tak-off but it also lost the beauty of the jump, imo. I just prefer to see a sweeping salchow and not a mintsy one. However, the points dictate which the skater will do sweeping or mintsy.

In take-off jumps by toe pick, and over extended back outside edge for Toe Loop can cause a bad miss that shouldn't have happened. There has been enough discussion about the Flutz and the Lip which do not cause accidents. Same could be said for taking off on a Flat. Skaters seemed to have learned them early in their career and it became a habit. Correcting the bad habit does not seem important to most skaters.

In Pairs, the side-by-side take offs are problematic because of the take offs. I think - not sure - the problem lies on which skater is on the inside and which is on the outside. One seems to be taking off at an awkward angle. This should be corrected.

Also the Throw Jumps in Pairs have their problems. Is it the man partner or the lady partner at fault because it's not unusual. Regardless of who's fault it is, I believe it is Timing problem. Not sure and I would like someone knowlegeble about this move to reply.

Any other Jump Take-Offs which may cause poor landing jumps?

Joe

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Hey Joe, you have pretty much "hit the nail on the head." Everything in figure skating is about good preparation before execution - even this could be applied to spins as well as jumps. It's true it does start with the basics. One simply must learn good basics before moving on to the more challenging moves. Also, bad habits are hard to break. That is why it's difficult for some skaters to make progress. I think one of the hardest habits to break is two footing a landing. You think you are doing the jump properly, but somehow that foot sneaks in to secure the landing.

Good observation!

Skate@Delaware

On the Ice
You are right. My coach has me spend 90% of jump prep working on set-up. Get that right and the jump is all yours. I see so many kids at my rink just wailing away at jumps and falling on them then wondering what happened??? Have them run-thru it and stop before they jump it and they are befuddled-they just can't do it.

Look on the ice at any rink and you will see most skaters working on "tricks" and hardly anyone working on the basics. Why? Because it's boring. Except for a brief warmup they don't hit edges, 3-turns, moves, etc. (unless they are getting ready to test, then they do hit it for a bit longer). The exception may be ice dancers.

ps-I wouldn't call a half-loop a "little jump"; altho some people are confused and tend to lump it with the 1/2 lutz and 1/2 flip it is a full-blown loop jump with 3/4-1 full rotation (depending on your coach and the technique used) it just lands on the opposite foot from the take off.