Worlds Preview - GS Article | Golden Skate

Worlds Preview - GS Article

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This year's competition will see the continuation of some heated rivalries battled out on the ice, while new ones are in the beginning stages of formation. It is a changing of the guard of sorts, a blend of 2006 Olympic-era skaters hoping to stay at the top for two more seasons with young upstarts clawing their way towards the podium. This could be one of the most competitive championships in recent years with a large group of skaters who have the potential to stand on the podium on any given day.

MORE

What's your take?

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
"At this competition, Rochette will attempt a triple flip-triple toe combination in the freeskate."

I wonder about the accuracy of this . . . I know she attempts the 3flip+3toe in the SP, but she hasn't attempted it in the LP all season long.

Last edited:

Medusa

Record Breaker
I like the preview, it's well written, not judgemental - I don't agree with everything (e.g. I think Brian doesn't need three Quads in his free to make the podium - perhaps two will be enough) - but it's a very good article.

Last edited:

layman

On the Ice
QUOTE:

"Khokhlova, 22, and Novitski, 26, are the artistes of the top group, creating beautiful shapes as they contort their bodies throughout their programs, but their attention to art has often sacrificed precision. The European bronze medalists will need to bring their fiery passion to the ice as usual, but will need to remember that clean skating is rewarded. Their free dance to Peer Gynt is particularly exciting to watch, and this team has the potential to bring the house down if they skate up to their abilities."

Since when are Khoklova & Novitski skating to Peer Gynt in the Free Dance?

They have skated to "Night on Bald Mountain" all season...most recently at Europeans.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Actually, part of their FD is to In the Hall of the Mountain King from Peer Gynt

tennis289

Spectator
The second half of Jana and Sergei Free Dance is skated "In the Hall of the Mountain King" from Peer Gynt by Edvard Grieg while the first half is skate to "Night on Bald Mountain" by Mussorgsky.

MissCleo

On the Ice
I'm surpised that Yukari Nakano was predicted to be third. Thrilled, but still surpirsed.

jennylovskt

Medalist
Great article! I really enjoyed reading it. It's very informative and well written. To the men's discipline - the only discipline that I am familiar enough not to say any thing too off the track, I totally agree with what E. Walker said. Can't wait for the World starts.

Last edited:

EWalker

On the Ice
I wonder about the accuracy of this . . . I know she attempts the 3flip+3toe in the SP, but she hasn't attempted it in the LP all season long.

These words came straight from Joannie's mouth at a press conference I attended last week. I can't say for sure if she will do it, or even attempt it, but she said that she would. :clap:

all that

Final Flight
I thought this was a most interesting description of V&M's FD:

Visually, the program is reminiscent of a scene from the movie Pleasantville...

This is probably not how you meant it, but I do feel that Tessa's expression in this dance is strangely artificial...like the characters in Pleasantville, or better yet, "The Stepford Wives." It's strange, because I thought her expression in "Valse Triste" looked so natural, so I'm not sure why they want her to go in this direction in this dance.