Thread: Anyone Else Just Skating For Fun?

Hybrid View

Medalist

Anyone Else Just Skating For Fun?

Anyone else out there just skating for "fun"? It seems like everyone on the rink is training for Nats/Adult Nats/Tests etc... I think I may be the only one at my rink who is a "practice skater." Is there anyone else, or is everyone competiting (or hoping to)?

Custom Title
    I take tests and enter competitions when it's convenient -- for fun. I also practice some skills that I enjoy practicing but would not need for any tests or competitions in the immediate future.

I don't have enough money or competitive drive to focus my skating on achieving results.

Medalist
    I admire you for getting out there and preforming.
    So...you would be someone who, generally, is a practice skater, (but competes/tests occasionally).
    Maybe I should have worded it differently. I didn't mean to imply that the "testing/competition" skaters weren't having fun.

I skate for fun. But testing helps me improve my skills.

Medalist
    Yes, I think most skaters test in order to compete (since they have to) or to have a standard to train up to (as you do). Also, if you have a coach, he/she probably encourages it.

Also, if you have a coach, he/she probably encourages it.
    I'm coachless now, but my recent coach introduced the idea of testing and let me decide what I wanted to do and when. No pushing. I just like the challenge of testing. I haven't competed yet, but that would be up to me too.