Del/Schoen FD Question | Golden Skate

Del/Schoen FD Question

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
I've been puzzled -- with D/S incorporating sign language into their "The Piano" FD, are they using the same system of sign language used in the film?

Does anyone know what system WAS used in the film? Holly Hunter's character was Scottish, the film took place in NZ in what, the 1700s or 1800s? What systems of sign language would have been in use then, by Hunter's character? Or did she use an idosyncratic system, since she had her daughter as a primary interpreter?

Just wondering because it seems to me D/S would have to be careful in their research, or maybe they are just being anachronistic and no one is bothered by it.

But I doubt the Hunter character in the movie was using modern ASL or international sign language???

all that

Final Flight
I think I read somewhere that D/S are using modern International Sign Language in their program. They want people who can understand ISL to understand what they are saying. They also want the judges who can't understand what they're saying to understand it, so they hand out a piece of paper to the judges that details all they are saying when they are signing each other.

MarieM

On the Ice
They were, at first using the french one, then decided that it would be better to use the international one. The change was done before Euros.
I don't have a clue about what they are saying.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
I guess what I'm saying is that, unless they are using what was used in the movie, it's not really accurate to the story they are portraying, is it?

Especially since the character in The Piano was NOT deaf. She CHOSE not to speak, was mute by choice, but not hearing impaired at all.

all that

Final Flight
But the real question is, do they need to be accurate to the story to win Worlds gold? ;)

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
I keep thinking there must be something I'm not getting, because I'm not seeing the point.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I think I read somewhere that D/S are using modern International Sign Language in their program. They want people who can understand ISL to understand what they are saying. They also want the judges who can't understand what they're saying to understand it, so they hand out a piece of paper to the judges that details all they are saying when they are signing each other.

that's cute!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
maybe they are not just copying the story from the movie?

I don't care what the reason, it's a beautiful program

anya_angie

Final Flight
For once I agree that interpreting the film in this particular manner (inaccurate interpretation, but only slightly) makes more sense than interpreting it spot-on. For the audience's sake, at least, it pays to have the audience and judges understand what is being signed to get the whole point. Otherwise, only those who saw and remember The Piano would get it.

I think it's a wonderful fd, definitely the most memorable in a long time for me.

equestrianguy

On the Ice
The soundtrack to The Piano is brilliant and beautiful.. I only remember hearing it a few times in FS competitions/exhibitions before.. Funny, since the movie was made in 94 I think.. I think Katarina Witt used it once?

Matt

On the Ice
I haven't seen The Piano (at least not all of it, just bits and pieces), so I can't speak for how accurate their SL is compared to w/e they used in the movie (they got pretty darn accurate with everything else, even down to the fake tattoo on his neck). I think it's an incredibly innovative idea to used hand motions that are more than just mere choreography b/c it means the program transcends more than just the competition season it's performed in. It's also nice to see that they're thinking about creativity as more than a way to get higher levels and and higher base value for their elements