2008 Marshalls? | Golden Skate

2008 Marshalls?

I don't think there is going to be one. Last year it was just an exhibition. I think the cheesfest era is over. :cry:

Lissy

Medalist
I know that everybody seems to hate cheesefests, but I love them. I love watching skaters skate to something other than just a competitve piece and it is fun to see them interact with each other in a non stressful envoirnment. I still prefer watching competitions but if it is true, I will miss the cheesefests

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
yeah Marshalls was just an ABC thing. NBC doesn't seem to have picked it up. I actually liekd Marshalls and Campebells. Just the freeskates, all the top names, and everybody skated competitive programs even though it didn't really amount for much. I guess the skaters are happy... thier freetime starts early this year. No COI, no Marshalls. Vacation time!

The skaters are not happy. Skaters want to skate. Plus, they need the money. If skating were not losing its audience, you can bet Marshalls and other companies would be sponsoring the cheesefests this year.

Sorry to be a grouch. I'm feeling bad for the COI skaters who lost their livelihoods as well as the current competitors who needed that income. Skating jobs are hard to replace. :eek:hwell:

gio

Medalist
I'm really sad. FS is declining year by year. No Marshalls, no Campbells, no COI, no Ice Wars. Every year is worse. I miss those events.

CB1AB2

Medalist
do you mean == COI = Champions on Ice == is no more ?? since when ?? == I didn't know

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
do you mean == COI = Champions on Ice == is no more ?? since when ?? == I didn't know

there was a thread about this about two months ago...i will try to find it in the archives for you. sad right?

visaliakid

Final Flight
Country
United-States
The Japan Open in April will be the only event after worlds this year. Next year the new ISU sanctioned $1,000,000.00 Team Challenge will be hosted in Japan in April.

In addition, ISU has announced that a new International Novice Festival will be innaugurated and held every two years to help prepare Novice skaters for the new IOC Youth Olympics (the winter edition) which will commence in 2012.

Source: New post worlds competition kicks off in '09: ISU World Team Trophy to feature top six nations and $1 million in prize money - by Lynn Rutherford, IceNetwork News

Cheesefests are done.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I think the only "fun" skating left besides SOI is the Disson Shows, and I think they will continue to air until at least 2011. So at least there's still plenty of skating on US TV during the season. Maybe not nearly as much as what used to be on, but it could be worse- look at gymnastics, I think it's on only once a year or so except during the Oly's. Skating is still very well off compared to other Olympic sports...its national championships are still shown live on primetime network TV.

Japan is the hot spot now, I hear they're even getting their own ISU spring event.

Last edited:
Source: New post worlds competition kicks off in '09: ISU World Team Trophy to feature top six nations and $1 million in prize money - by Lynn Rutherford, IceNetwork News
Thanks for the update, Visaliakid. :yes:
"Of course, the ISU will distribute this money to the team federations, and then they will be so kind as to split it among the athletes," Cinquanta said.
So...the kind Mr. Piseev will be in charge of this distribution for the Russian team. For France, it will be the kind M. Gailhauget. :)
[Mr. Cinquanta] stressed that should a country be unable to field a pair, it would lose out on possible points.

"One of the motives behind this team competition is a kind of action to force member federations to create skaters of all disciplines," he said. "For example, I am sure, knowing the character of the Japanese, that its federation will quickly prepare a pair."
:clap: There is a method to the madness after all! :clap:

Will Italy be in the top six? To bad they can't substitute their second dance team for a men's entry.

What about Switzerland. Do they have any pairs or dancers to go along with their strong men and ladies?

They should let smaller countries band together. For instance, Korea and Greece could have Nam and Leftheris (along with their two ladies, Kim Yun-Na and Kim Na-Yun).

Last edited:

Wrlmy

Medalist
They should let smaller countries band together. For instance, Korea and Greece could have Nam and Leftheris (along with their two ladies, Kim Yun-Na and Kim Na-Yun).

I know Leftheris has Greek heritage, but are they skating for Greece? Have I messed something?:eek:

gio

Medalist
Thanks for the update, Visaliakid. :yes:So...the kind Mr. Piseev will be in charge of this distribution for the Russian team. For France, it will be the kind M. Gailhauget.

Money to the federations! This is the reason of this stupid competition. I had to understand it more quickly.
So the already reach federations will receive more money (Russia, Japan, USA, Canada, France and an ipothetical sixth federation that could be Italy since $peedy is Italian).
No help to the skaters of other poorer and smaller federations! Booooo to Ottavio 50! :disagree:

I know Leftheris has Greek heritage, but are they skating for Greece? Have I messed something?:eek:
No, they are both American. But Naomi's family came from Korea and Themi's from Greece, so I think that ought to count! ;)

By the way, IIRC when Naomi won the U.S. silver medal in singles in 1999 and was expected to be the new Michelle, she was very well promoted in Korea, getting some big commercial endorsements there.

Geesesk8

On the Ice
Neither Marshalls nor Campbells are US Figure Skating "Partners" / sponsors anymore, so why would they put their names and money into sponsoring a cheesefest, a competition, anything. According to USFS's website, the only "Partner" remaining is Smucker's. State Farm is gone, and I think Olay also used to be a partner/sponsor (not positive). Until USFS can sign-on some new partners/sponsors and get some much needed money, the exhibitions are over.

http://www.usfsa.org/ (scroll down to bottom of page for list)

Last edited:
There are no soup cans or Marchalls advertising on the Boards of the skating arenas. Face it, the sport has fizzled out in Amercia and whether you enjoyed the silly antics of the competitive Sunday afternoons, the public didn't. And for me, if there is no competition, I'm not interested in the Disson School of the usual programs.

Regarding Cinquanta's proposal to show the best of the best in a competition rings well witth me. But..is he just picking top skaters from the powerful Federations or is he picking the top skaters in the world? I would not appreciate Carolina, Stephen, and Kevin, to name a few, left out of the draw so as to watch the Chinese Men and Ladies, or the Japanese Pairs, or France's Ladies and Pairs - oh well you get the picture.

If there really is a 1million dollar purse, this will not be a cute Disson show.

Joe

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Japan already has a Pairs team---Takahashi/Tran. They competed in the JGP this season. Tran is a Canadian of I believe Vietnamese descent.

A million dollar purse is actually cheap compared to the prizes that were up for grabs in the old cheesefests. Both the Marshalls and Campbells events paid $50,000 to the men's and ladies' winners.

Six national teams of eight skaters each will compete. The top prize is $200,000 for the team. If they split it 8 ways, each skater on the winning team will get $25,000 (maybe they will give relatively less to the dancers and pairs skaters, as the ISU does for World championships, etc.)

That's assuming the national federation doesn't take a cut off the top.

Actually, Italy can field a pretty strong team.

Ladies: Carolina Kostner (silver medalist)
Men: Karel Zelenka (16th at Worlds)
Pairs: Magitteri & Hotarek (13th)
Dance: Faiella & Scali (5th), with alternates Cappellini & Lanotte :love: (10th).

They need a second man and a second lady to fill out the squad.