Articles about Men SP | Golden Skate

Articles about Men SP

Ximena

Final Flight
http://www.lematin.ch/fr/sport/divers/stephane-lambiel-c-est-dramatique-ce-qui-s-est-passe_19-120106

If I understand correctly (my french is rusty) it said that Stephane threatened of withdrawing from the FS due his SP marks (according to his coach). It says Stephane's combo (4-3), the triple got deducted to a double. Lambiel has questioned the objectivity of the judges considering how he is been marked in other events.

Well, one has to agree that this Worlds' marks had been lower than any other events but it has not been just on Lambiel. I mean you could Takahashi face, he was totally shocked of his marks because in previous events he has gotten way higher marks for the same program.

But I didn't know Lambiel's 3t was marked as 2t, I can't remember his performance well but it did look as a triple to me.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
In the modern world of figure skating, the best we can hope for is that the judges be equally unfair to everyone.

Ximena

Final Flight
Here's a bit more about Lambiel
http://www.lematin.ch/fr/sport/divers/stephane-lambiel-sous-pression-avec-son-5e-rang_19-120017

The one writing the article said that the judges didn't give Lambiel the PCS scores he deserved as a punishment for his jump problems.

Some quotes

Lambiel

"Until now, I have never complained about my marks, but here I have to question the objectivity of the judges"

"I don't understand why the judges do not reward taking risks (talking about his in-between elements and that very few skaters do a quad). I have the impression that I always need to do more than the rest to get the same results, and that makes me feel bad!"

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
http://www.lematin.ch/fr/sport/divers/stephane-lambiel-c-est-dramatique-ce-qui-s-est-passe_19-120106

If I understand correctly (my french is rusty) it said that Stephane threatened of withdrawing from the FS due his SP marks (according to his coach). It says Stephane's combo (4-3), the triple got deducted to a double. Lambiel has questioned the objectivity of the judges considering how he is been marked in other events.

Well, one has to agree that this Worlds' marks had been lower than any other events but it has not been just on Lambiel. I mean you could Takahashi face, he was totally shocked of his marks because in previous events he has gotten way higher marks for the same program.

But I didn't know Lambiel's 3t was marked as 2t, I can't remember his performance well but it did look as a triple to me.

Oh my! I had no idea his 3toe had been downgraded to a 2toe. That's insane! I see 3 full, clean rotations on that jump. What in the world has this sport come to? Brian's music deduction and Stephane's unjustified downgrade . . . both are not right, IMO. I hope this does not affect their confidence in the LP.

_Ladybug_

On the Ice
Looks like he was screwed too. Honestly, I was enjoying is SP so much (it is beautiful) I didn't even pay attention to how many revolutions he did. Lucky him they didn't find "ilegal" lyrics on his music too...

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Looks like he was screwed too. Honestly, I was enjoying is SP so much (it is beautiful) I didn't even pay attention to how many revolutions he did. Lucky him they didn't find "ilegal" lyrics on his music too...

Many of the judgments in this championship have been debatable and controversial . . . that is for sure! From Pang/Tong being marked low to Yu-Na's and Joannie's low PCS marks to Brian's and Stephane's baffling deduction/downgrade . . . I'm more confused than ever at what the tech caller and the judges are watching/hearing on the ice - makes no sense to me at all!

Last edited:

Ximena

Final Flight
Well I've watched Lambiel's SP combo 4 times already and it looks a 4t-3t to me, yes because of the hand down he travel half the rotation by the time he has to hit the triple but from where he takes off for his triple, it's a full triple.

Wrlmy

Medalist
There were signs he was not happy to begin with coming to Sweden. Perhaps there are unknown drama we're not aware of? I thought his low pcs was little dubious and had no idea about downgrade.
:confused: Could there be any more drama this year?

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
ROBBERY! Maybe all the skaters should band together and threaten to quit this sport if all these problems with the judging system and tech caller are not resolved. All of this is really disturbing to me . . . this is not the sport I fell in love with back in 1992.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I really hope the French and Swiss federations are demanding thorough reviews of these controversial calls on Brian and Stephane . . . I cannot believe this and I am SO MAD!

Ximena

Final Flight
I really hope the French and Swiss federations are demanding thorough reviews of these controversial calls on Brian and Stephane . . . I cannot believe this and I am SO MAD!

Well I don't know how willing the French fed would be to team up with the Swiss fed considering Lambiel's coach said that the only reason Joubert got those PCS marks was to keep him on the fight for a medal. And the Swiss press has been not very nice with Joubert's pres marks either.

ETA: All and all, Lambiel should feel more confident tomorrow, his FS will always get huge PCS marks and he will probably leave out the 3ax so everything works clean.

If I understand correctly (my french is rusty) it said that Stephane threatened of withdrawing from the FS due his SP marks....
I hope he gets over it by tomorrow night. Maybe feeling like he is being picked on will spur him on to greater heights in LP!

gold12345

Medalist
These underrotation calls have become somewhat of a joke. Maybe unless they are completely blatant, the judges shouldn't bother deducting, because it's getting a little ridiculous now. Nobody's getting their ruler out to measure exactly how cheated these jumps are, and this is resulting in so many of these calls becoming questionable.

feraina

Record Breaker
Well, I just went to youtube and paused Stephane Lambiel's 3T around the time of touch-down, and made a still of it. It does look under-rotated just about 1/4 turn, so I don't know how much success he'll have with an appeal.

Maybe he should concentrate on preparing for the LP instead of worrying about this downgrade. The tech panel has been tough all week. They downgraded a lot of jumps in the pairs and ladies competitions that didn't look more under-rotated than Stephane's 3T.

Let me see if I can figure out a way to upload my still... Can anyone give me a bit of help?

Last edited:

escaflowne9282

Rinkside
Well, I just went to youtube and paused Stephane Lambiel's 3T around the time of touch-down, and made a still of it. It does look under-rotated just about 1/4 turn, so I don't know how much success he'll have with an appeal.
?
Isn't 1/4 of a turn allowed?

feraina

Record Breaker
Up to .25 turn is allowed, but with a jump that looks just about 1/4 short, it's liable to be downgraded (maybe it looks just over .25 on the tech panel's monitor, which apparently gets a different stream than us viewers; they also get slow-motion). I've looked at a lot of downgraded jumps this season (Caroline keeps on getting them), and many look just about 1/4 short on these fuzzy youtube videos.

Now that I've made stills of both Lambiel's take-off and landing, though, he actually looks just slightly over 1/4 turn short.

Now, how do I upload images to GS?

feraina

Record Breaker
Ergh. Can't upload to my website tonight either for some reason... I guess if anyone wants to see the stills, they can PM me.

kandidy

Final Flight
This vocal thing is stupid. I still remembered Funie Suguri's LP 2097. It was added vocal ,too and it was ok.
I think if next year they are still having this kind of judge, no one will pay for the ticket and this sport will be just an internet watching online competiton.

bekalc

Record Breaker
Honestly, I think Stephanie needs ot keep quiet and stop complaining. He had several mistakes in a lot of his jumps, and so as far as I'm concerned he shouldn't be in the lead. In fact, I would have put Joubert over him quite frankly.

As for Joubert's presentation marks. I actually think Joubert has done a fine job of improving his Presentation, he really know just has to work on his expression. Besides Joubert's basic skating skills are better than Lambiel's.