Really good, long Morosov interview | Golden Skate

Really good, long Morosov interview

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Really nice interview, thank you Doris. It's nice that he has only good words to say about TT. I am sure it's not so rosy in real life, but I like it when people do not do their dirty laundry in public.

BTW, he mentions Raitsin being a physical trainer for TT's group, and how he hopes to work with him. According to TT's site, Ratisin has just been denied a US visa.

Lcp88

On the Ice
That was a really great interview. He was very thoughtful and insighful throughout. ITA with him when he said,
"In singles skating, the particular skate is decisive, in dance, a lot depends on politics. I'm sure, if Shae-Lynn skated for Russia she would be two time Olympic Champion and multiple World Champion. And it's a question whether the best Russian team would stand on the podium if they skated for Canada."
Thanks Doris!
Laura

rachelstarlet

Rinkside
Thanks for the link. I didn't know much about Morosov before the 01-02 season and this year especially I was interested in his work. It'll be interesting to see his influence in the upcoming season.

bleuchick

On the Ice
Now..I am confused

If Morosov is saying politics is part of dance as though this is business as usual in skating then why should non-favourable skaters bother *competiting* at all.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I guess he would say the same thing TT herself says: yes, there is unfair judging, but if a skater is head and shoulders above the competition, they win. B&K won when they were head and shoulders above L&A -- the Russians made a fairly sloppy program, and the Canadians were clearly better (mind you, I was never a B&K fan). The unfair judging only comes in when it is close (they only example I can think of in recent years when results were so unfair it was not even close is 2002 Worlds in dance -- C&S vs. D&V).

Thanks so much, Doris - What a nice man as well as a first rate choreographer/coach. His love for figure skating is so evident when he works with financially prohibited skaters for free.

One point for the Russian posters here. I presume Antoniojevna is the same Tarasova. Am I correct?

I know Russians have so many interchangeable names. When I read Crime and Punishment I kept a name chart to follow the story.

Joe

windspirit

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
I know Russians have so many interchangeable names. When I read Crime and Punishment I kept a name chart to follow the story.
Joe, I had to do the same thing with Marquez's "One Hundred Years of Solitude". :laugh:

As for your question, yes, Tatiana Anatoljevna (not Antoniojevna, mind you; her father's name was Anatoly, that's where she got that second name from -- if someone didn't know that) is the same Tarasova.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Thanks for the link! A very interesting interview of a sensible sounding man with class and without melodrama.

Marjaana

Lisa

On the Ice
It's a great interview! Thanks for the link! :)

Morozov not only seems to be a nice and sensible man, he also gave good answers to the rumors spread after his "divorce" with TT.

Quote:
Many people simply do not know what happened. Tatiana Anatoljevna's friends still socialize with me. With exception of only Maya Usova. But she started to work in our group only last summer, she doesn't have a right to judge me not knowing all the circumstances.

Well, he still seems to be friends with Yags, otherwise he wouldn't call him "Lyosha" (Russian nickname of Alexei, used only by friends and family). Good for both of them. :)

What happened between Morozov and Usova? Has anybody got a clue?

curious

Final Flight
I'm sure Alexei keeps in touch with Nikolai. He worked more with Alexei than Tatiana and got along great with him. He is sensible and clever without like someone here said MELODRAMA.

Good question, Bleuchick. I think after the disclosure of the "fixing" of the Pairs at the Olys, that all that previous talk about the 'fixing" of the Dance for so many years is now more than just talk. Dance has always been the most questionable discipline in judging. I must say, however, the Canadian team that won the Worlds was a big departure from the norm of the European judges. Maybe there is hope for honesty in Dance.

Joe

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
Well, not that many. We just have a first name, a patronimic, and a last name. Saying Tatiana Anatolievna is equivalent to saying Mrs. Tarasova in English. This is THE polite was of addressing your elders. I find it funny that Sasha Cohen and Johnny Weir refer to her as Tatiana, whereas her Russian students always say Tatiana Anatolievna.

The real confusion only starts once you take into account all the variations of the first name: Tatiana is formal, Tanya is standard, Tan'ka would be VERY familier, Tanechka or Tanusha would be very tender, etc.

Thanks Pitchka - I do indeed learn more about Russian names. What about yours. I'm sure it is a diminuitive of a larger name. Am I correct?

Joe