So how was the U.S. broadcast of men's LP? | Golden Skate

So how was the U.S. broadcast of men's LP?

decker

On the Ice
I wouldn't know. Neither the ABC affiliate nor the cable provider (ESPN1 and 2)saw fit to show it in my viewing area. I had it marked for ABC, but I certainly checked ESPN 1 and 2 when I realized ABC was showing 2.5 hours of infomercials after the basketball game.

Johnny finally wins a medal :clap: But all I get is the YouTube version :mad:

Susan

In Detroit it started late because of baskeball, but then they did show the whole thing, I think. The actual skating was kind of a disappointment until the last two. Lambiel and Takahashi made enough mistakes to keep them behind a competetnt but lackluster performance by Weir. But then Joubert rocked the house, and even after Buttle's flawless skate the audience, and certainly the commentators, thought that Brian had won it.

Paul Wylie did a superb job commentating. He gave several little inside details that added a lot to the broadcast. For instance, in Van der Perren's footwork, instead of just saying that it wasn't anything special, Paul said that one of the problems was that Kevin was not completing the full lobe on his turns.

Dick Button was off form, in my opinion. Paul disagreed with Dick quite forcefully several times. Dick came off as very much against the whole philosophy of the CoP, complaining often that the skaters are just going after point, points, points, without regard to quality and without trying to present a complete program.

Judy

Rinkside
Does anyone else think that Dick Button maybe needs to move on? I have not watched U.S. coverage in a long time (because I don't get it not because I don't want to watch it) but he is so old fashioned and behind the times.

CalebsMom

Rinkside
Does anyone else think that Dick Button maybe needs to move on? I have not watched U.S. coverage in a long time (because I don't get it not because I don't want to watch it) but he is so old fashioned and behind the times.

I think he is not only old-fashioned and behind the times but way too much biased; he shows too much favoritism. When he repeated exactly the same phrase right after the commercial break and hurriedly added that he was an old man or he was getting old (I forgot what his exact words were though), however, it broke my heart. But ITA that it's time for him to move on.

gold12345

Medalist
The broadcast was good, but I wish ESPN had had a camera backstage so that we could have seen Johnny's reaction when he knew for sure he was getting a medal and so that we could have seen Brian's reaction to getting knocked out of first by Buttle. That would have made it better.

sillylionlove

Medalist
I think one of my favorite Paul vs. Dick moments was when Dick was saying something he needs to get his act together now or it's over and Paul was like...what are you talking about (they were talking about someone who was falling apart and needed to get his act together. I think it might have been during Verner's skate.) Then he mentioned during the kiss and cry scene how Nicole bobek and Sasha Cohen were great skaters who could never get their act together for the big competitions. While I like Dick...I really like Paul's commentary much more. At times, I feel like Dick is somewhere in la la land and Paul really knows what he is talking about. Will I miss Dick...maybe...will I miss Paul...definitly. And please....if you are going to come back...have Peter do commentary....he stinks doing interviews.

I also agree that they should have interviewed Johnny after he won the bronze. I would love to have heard what he had to say.

Last edited:

decker

On the Ice
Thanks, mathman! I flipped among the 3 possible channels for over an hour but no luck. March Madness is a huge deal here so there may have been a local option to pick up an extra basketball game instead of skating. Yesterday I was so hacked off, all I really noticed was round ball, no ice LOL. But nobody died, and there was no nuclear holocaust. I'll get over it ;)

Dick was on a roll about CoP in all the broadcasts. Unfortunately, he misspoke about some things IMHO -- claimed that scratchy, icky jumps get the same credit as awesome jumps, for example.

Susan

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
It was OK. They did not show stephen carrire, even though he placed higher than Abbott, they did not show either of the french men besides Joubert. As for Dick... I am so glad to have him back and I actually agreed with him most of the time!

momjudi

On the Ice
I definitely was looking forward to seeing Johnny's reaction when he realized he had won a medal. But I guess ESPN was too busy runnning the same commercials over and over to include it.

taylorfax

On the Ice
I definitely was looking forward to seeing Johnny's reaction when he realized he had won a medal. But I guess ESPN was too busy runnning the same commercials over and over to include it.
If you haven't seen it, look for videos from the Eurosport broadcast, they show him backstage a lot. :)

Angela V

Rinkside
The broadcast was good, but I wish ESPN had had a camera backstage so that we could have seen Johnny's reaction when he knew for sure he was getting a medal and so that we could have seen Brian's reaction to getting knocked out of first by Buttle. That would have made it better.

CBC did show the reactions. Right after Jeff's skate they showed Brian's face and he looked a bit in shock. I had to tape the skating this weekend because of family so just got to this forum yesterday. I was surprised to see the stuff about Brain complaining about the judging because the look on his face gave me the impression that he was regretting how he skated. I understand know that he thought Jeff was NOT a threat. I was so puzzled after his skate, why he did what he did. Also Jeff later said that he didn't watch anyone. In the past we all know nerves can get to him and he will bomb. He decided to not know how everyone else did and just skate to his best. There was a brief shot of Johnny looking really happy when he knew he would medal.

Bennett

Record Breaker
I like both Dick and Peggy, especially Peggy because she is more ladylike whereas Dick can be harsh and too talkative. But they are such characters with great skating philosophies. They are very respectable commentators.

Nonetheless, it would be nice if they knew the CoP better. Dick was wrong in his analysis about who won the game in men and ladies. He thought that Joubert won it in his technical elements, which was completely wrong. They also couldn't see many of the URs.

I also like the British Euro but they also could be wrong in edge calls. They said that Mao's flip taken off at outside and flutz taken off at outside when Mao was the famous flutzer. But I still love their gentlemanlike commentary.

Among Japanese commentaries, young skaters like Shizuka Arakawa, Takeshi Honda, Yaginuma, and current coaches like Mr. Yutaka Higuchi are very good. Midori Ito is bad at analysis. She could be wrong too often.

Are Shiz and Honda doing a lot of commentary now? I seem to mostly hear Ito - at least I'm guessing that's who it is.

Bennett

Record Breaker
Midori is very cheerful and most emotionally involved in the program. Although her analysis is not always reliable, she is good at conveying the lively excitement and makes me feel happy.

Shizuka speaks calmly and is barely emotional. She talks pretty objectively. Some ppl think her too objective. But I like it. She would be perhaps one of the best at CoP analysis.

Yuka Sato has mature voice that is very comfortable to hear. She is most experienced in commentary and is good at analysis. She also knows very well when to talk and when to remain silent. I like her the best.

I also hear Chika Suguri. Fumie's younger sis. She has very young, gentle voice. Like Fumie, she sometimes makes cute comments without intentionally trying to be funny. She is also good at analysis.

I think that younger generations who experienced CoP themselves or the coaches who teach under CoP would be the best to serve as commentators now. We need the commentators who could help the audience understand it. It is better to hear sound analysis of CoP than to hear how complicated CoP is and how much they dislike it.

Last edited:

waxel

Final Flight
The ESPN coverage was good- although it was delayed 20 mins. by a ladies basketball causing some skaters to be chacked. But there was sadness for me while watching the exciting event. Will we ever get coverage like this again? Yes, it was taped and not live- but I could watch it on my nice TV. Internet coverage is certainly better than nothing, but even though I have respectable equipment and a high speed connection --- it ain't the same as watching on TV. I'm really wondering if the ISU will be ever be able to secure future coverage.

I still like Dick. Yes, he may mis-speak from time to time but I don't find him overly biased about specific skaters. Biased aagainst CoP? Sure. So am I.

Even though I do like Dick, I also really enjoy Paul's commentary. He has done a GREAT job this season. Interesting, informative and self-depracating.

I just hope someone, anyone, will have a job commentating at all. Sigh.

Bennett

Record Breaker
I watched other broadcasts on YOUTUBE.

German---I couldn't comprehend the language:p

British---They expected either Jeff or Joubert would win because Joubert's skate was more championlike (don't know what that means...the quad? the self-assurance?). But they also very highly appreciated and absolutely loved the beauty of Jeff's program and the quality of the performance.

EPSN---Dick was SO sure about Joubert's win in the technical score, which was totally wrong.

CBC---They were completely convinced of Jeff's victory. Kurt rightly acknowledged the importance of combinations in CoP.

J-Sport---Mr. Yutaka Higuchi (ex-Olympipia and coach) and I think that the young one was Yamato Tamura, if not Takeshi Honda. They thought that Jeff might win, but was not sure. They were aware of the combinations, two 3 axels, and better PCS that should be awarded. Mr. Higuchi highly appreciated Jeff's transitions, difficulties of complex moves, and choreos.

Last edited:

mycelticblessing

Final Flight
Even though I do like Dick, I also really enjoy Paul's commentary. He has done a GREAT job this season. Interesting, informative and self-depracating.

I just hope someone, anyone, will have a job commentating at all. Sigh.

I love it whenever Paul commentates, cos he is so encouraging, yet he always gives an honest point of view too!

champs

Final Flight
Midori is very cheerful and most emotionally involved in the program. Although her analysis is not always reliable, ... (omitted).

I'm curious, could you give examples of her analyses that are not reliable.

jyshin

On the Ice
I loved the little clips about the commentators' own performances that ESPN (NBC?) showed in between.
My favorite was Paul's words... "serendipitous"... almost too intellectual... yet... the perfect word... It was his one word answer to how he felt while his score was going up. Was it the Olympics?

Last edited: