Most 6.0s in international comps! | Golden Skate

Most 6.0s in international comps!

All that Jazz

Rinkside
Hi, I'm new here and really interested in one question: I know Torvill/Dean are lightyears away here, even though I have no idea about the exact number. But which skater/s come/s next? And where in the net can I find a topical statistic about it? Thank you!

sk8guy2k2

On the Ice
I remember reading that Miori Ito had the most for ladies in one competition. Not sure though since its as quite a while ago.

Last edited:

tdnuva

On the Ice
Sorry - I only know the record by T&D - altogether 155 sixes and the record of 29 at a single championship (worlds 1984):

3 for compulsory dance Westminster waltz
4 for compulsory dance Rhumba
9 (artistic) for the OSP "Capriccio espagnol"
4 (technical) + 9 (artistic) for the Free dance "Bolero"

There is a page about 6.0s at worlds - but it wasn't updated for quite a while:

http://www.usfsa.org/worlds01/history/6-0.html

All that Jazz

Rinkside
Thank you! :)

Too bad the list is only about Worlds and not updated. Nobody seems to have a statistic about 6.0s at all major events like Olympics, Worlds, Euros, Four-Continents and Grand Prix?! :(

Germanice

On the Ice
Numbers!

Based on the events above and because of a similar thread which has been before on another board I'm able to deliever at least two further "numbers": Alexei Yagudin was decorated with nineteen 6.0s (plus seven 6.0s at so called "fluff" competitions) at the following "big" events:

- One 6.0 for presentation, SP "Circus" at Euros 1999 in Prague
- One 6.0 for technique, LP " Lawrence of Arabia", at Worlds 1999 in Helsinki
- Two 6.0s for presentation, LP "Gladiator", at Skate Canada 2000 in Missisauga
- Three 6.0s for presentation, LP "Gladiator, at Trophy Lalique 2000 in Paris
- Four 6.0s for presentation, LP "Man in the iron mask", at Olympics 2002 in SLC
- One 6.0 for technique, SP "Winter", at Worlds 2002 in Nagano
- Five 6.0s for presentation, SP "Winter" at Worlds 2002 in Nagano
- Two 6.0s for presentation, LP "Man in the iron mask", at Worlds 2002 in Nagano

I assume Plushenko's "number" is similar, maybe a few more, maybe a few less, which makes anyone of them THE single skater with the most 6.0s, no matter in which order!

BTW, correct me if I'm wrong: If I remember it right, Kwan got so far eight 6.0s at major events .... :D

Anke

Last edited:

heyang

Record Breaker
If I recall the American coverage of 6.0's correctly, Michelle has received more than 20 6.0's - that may be at only US Nationals. Not sure about that. The 2nd runner up in this category is Brian Boitano with 9(?)

mzheng

Record Breaker
Re: Numbers!

Germanice said:

BTW, correct me if I'm wrong: If I remember it right, Kwan got so far eight 6.0s at major events .... :D

Anke

You are quite close for Kwan's 6.0 in International competetions. However who else the LADY skater got more than Kwan? You don't need nipping her in every your posts. Besides male to male, pair to pair, dance to dance, lady to lady, if there is a need to mention Kwan as a comparision in your post why compare apple with pear.

Sorry to bust the bubble, but I like beautiful skating from anywhere by anyone whether or not the judges for any given competition thinks that this performance was PERFECT

Joe

Germanice

On the Ice
Reality bites!

mzheng said:
You are quite close for Kwan's 6.0 in International competetions. However who else the LADY skater got more than Kwan? You don't need nipping her in every your posts. Besides male to male, pair to pair, dance to dance, lady to lady, if there is a need to mention Kwan as a comparision in your post why compare apple with pear.

Sorry, but as long numerous worshipping us Kwan-fans are allowed to consider her "... the best and/or the greatest skater (NOT Lady skater!) EVER ..." on and on it must be allowed to me to set exactly the same measure and compare her with every other skater ("Is she really that great?"), NOT only with other Lady skaters.

But if you prefer: According to another poster here and a link mentioned above Midori Ito got ten 6.0s - only at Worlds! :p ;)

Anke

Last edited:

Skating is fun

Rinkside
Well, Anke, as we all here know, you just hate Kwan, but worship Yagudin, so it doesn`t make sense to discuss anything related to Michelle with you.
But it is alright to count her perfect scores at Nationals, because you should count that competition just like Europeans. The standard is very similar and if you compare the number of skaters in most categories...well, I guess you`ve got it. And I don`t think you insist that Russian Nationals should count as well...as far as I recall Yags never really skated well there and at least once was even lucky to make the team at all. Btw, I`m European and not too crazy about Michelle myself!

rtureck

Final Flight
Re: Reality bites!

Germanice said:
Sorry, but as long numerous worshipping us Kwan-fans are allowed to consider her "... the best and/or the greatest skater (NOT Lady skater!) EVER ..." on and on it must be allowed to me to set exactly the same measure and compare her with every other skater ("Is she really that great?"), NOT only with other Lady skaters.

But if you prefer: According to another poster here and a link mentioned above Midori Ito got ten 6.0s - only at Worlds! :p ;)

Anke

Anke, I am sure some Kwan fans think she is the best ever, but they are not posting here at GS. If you want to give a rebuttal go to those boards and fight.

I think most posters here are fans of skating and some skaters. Go ahead and do a search at GS, and see if you can find anyone who has made such a claim. At least in this thread, no one is making such a claim.

Last edited:
Easy on the accusations.

6.0s are given for a skater who happens to be better in the eyes of the judge THAT Night. The judge in question had already given a previous skater at 5.9. The 6.0 then is not for perfection but for scoring purposes.

Joe

tdnuva

On the Ice
Joe - I think it's half of the truth. Yes, judging as it has been until now is relative and basically just means 6.0 is 0.1 more than 5.9 the same as 5.4 is 0.1 more than 5.3 and that's all that matters for the results.

But anyhow - at the competitions I watched, the judges reserved not only the sixes for one (perhaps last) performing skater. They nearly always reserved a top score like two times 5.9 PLUS the sixes if (!) there was still coming a top skater. And after that critical performance they still had the choice to score those 5.9s OR 6.0s. And it really seems to me the 6.0 was only chosen if that judge thought it was "perfect" (whatever that term might mean).

But if anyone would want to compare numbers of 6.0s in a career it really matters which competitions you include. At major international competitions 6.0s are much more rare than in small internationals and national competitions - at least that seems to be the case imho. (btw - T&D's record of 155 include nationals and one Richmond competition)

Germanice

On the Ice
Well, I'm not gonna comment any personal remarks in my direction here, I'm already used to that :D. If I understood it right, this thread is about "most 6.0s at international competitions", and I only delievered some FACTS. Some may like them, others not! ;)

Anke

Last edited:

icenut84

Final Flight
Skating is fun said:
But it is alright to count her perfect scores at Nationals, because you should count that competition just like Europeans. The standard is very similar and if you compare the number of skaters in most categories...well, I guess you`ve got it.

Um... I don't agree! The standard at US Nationals is the same as Europeans? Not sure about that. Are you talking about ladies only? Yes, the US ladies field is very good (as I've read many times), if somewhat inconsistent? But there are a lot of very talented ladies at Europeans too, many of which could make the top 10 at Worlds if they could improve consistency. I don't believe that the 5-10 ranked US ladies could be at the same/slightly higher level as the 5-10 ranked ladies at Europeans. And if you mean in the other 3 disciplines too - no way.

NOT a bash, I just don't agree with this statement.

Lisa

On the Ice
Skating is fun said:
Well, Anke, as we all here know, you just hate Kwan, but worship Yagudin, so it doesn`t make sense to discuss anything related to Michelle with you.
But it is alright to count her perfect scores at Nationals, because you should count that competition just like Europeans. The standard is very similar and if you compare the number of skaters in most categories...well, I guess you`ve got it. And I don`t think you insist that Russian Nationals should count as well...as far as I recall Yags never really skated well there and at least once was even lucky to make the team at all. Btw, I`m European and not too crazy about Michelle myself!

Skating is fun, I won't comment on your personal attacks .... nor on your remark about Alexei and Russian Nationals.

To your comparison between US Nats and Europeans:
Nationals and international competitions don't work the same way, and though US Nats have got an excellent level in the ladies field, one cannot easily compare the results to Europeans where such things as nationality and patriotism do count, though they shouldn't.
And I agree with icenut.

Personnally, I would like to have somebody add the results of the international junior competitions, too. Has anybody got a clue?

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
Anke,

I have to agree and say that if it is a pack of Kwan-crazy fans you want to argue with, you should be on another board. I didn't see anyone in this thread worshipping the skate goddess Kwan or giving you any grief over your opinions until your Kwan comment. The first reference to Michelle made in this thread was made by....you. So, in the future, if you don't want to be lambasted with Michelle praise I might advise not mentioning her name in a thread where she isn't relevant. You don't like Michelle. You'll find that most people on this board can get past that and discuss things rationally. For those fans that can't get to that point, just be mature and ignore them. They won't stay long anyway. You love Alexei (and so do I, lol!) and I'm sure it bothers you when non-Alexei fans repeatedly take every opportunity (and make opportunities) to throw in jabs and criticisms. It's pointless and potentially spoils a board where rational people can discuss their favorite sport and skaters intelligently. You get what you give. If you make off-the-subject jabs, you'll find someone that will give you a response in the same style. If you don't like Kwan and wish to address that on this board, start a thread and discuss it there. Otherwise, on to the subject at hand!

I was always under the impression that Midori had the most 6.0s in international competitions. Katarina Witt also had quite a few that I can remember (many at Worlds I think). Also, I don't think Europeans would be considered an international event since it excludes 3/4 of the World, lol. Both Alexei and Evgeny have had many in the Grand Prix events as well.

tdnuva - You are absolutely correct about the number of 6.0s in whatever competitions. American judges tend to give them out freely to American skaters and European judges do the same for the Europeans. That's the subjectivity in figure skating.

But for me, pesonally, I don't consider 6.0s as anything special. It does amuse me to see them, but I am a stickler about perfection and 6.0s are just a biased mark unless it is required to put someone above a previous skater he/she gave a 5.9.

No one is perfect, and we all know that. Not even Tiger Woods.

I am having a bit of trouble on why this thread is comparing US Senior Ladies to the whole of European Senior Ladies. I'm not so pro-American to get involved in such a comparison. Certainly not when I compare beautiful skating to beautiful skating. Love Kwan, yes, but I also love Jenna McKorkle, Sarah Meier, Dan Fong, and so many more non-American skaters - and that's just the Ladies. My list of Men's skaters is even larger from all over the world.

What does the most 6.0s mean anyhow. That some skater should have won the Olys and didn't?

Joe

Lisa

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
... 6.0s are just a biased mark unless it is required to put someone above a previous skater he/she gave a 5.9.

No one is perfect, and we all know that. Not even Tiger Woods.

You are absolutely right - technically speaking. A judge gives a skater a 5.9 for an excellent performance, and then another skater skates even better and logically obtains the 6.0 - though his performance might not have been totally flawless.

But still, 6.0 is legend. It's the illusion of absolute perfection. I understand the skaters who dream about this mark, and also the choreographers. Figure skating is a sport, of course, and we all know that a performance in the eighties without quads wouldn't get a 6.0 today. But there is also this artistic part, and to know that one has created or performed one of the very best programs ever (and this is what 6.0 stands for) is certainly one of the highlight in any skaters and choreographer's career.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Another thing that needs to be mentioned is that the last one or two skaters in the last flight are more likely to get 6.0's than the first skaters in the flight. And the skaters in the previous flight, even when wonderful, do not get 6.0's. The best case in point would be perhaps Midori Ito in the 1988 Olympics on the technical marks. Or perhaps Denise Biellmann in the 1980 Olympics.

The only time the fact of a 6.0 impresses me is when all or nearly all the judges come up with 6.0 for the same skater. (T&D, World's 1984). Then it is a true accolade of perfection. Otherwise I agree with Joe. It's a place marker.

dpp