Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Massive Power Outage - From NY to Ottawa

Custom Title
    forgot to mention that Ontario BUYS power from NY. It used to be the other way around not too long ago.

it seems like the cause of this blackout is from the US whereas that of the 1965 blackout was from Canada.

Btw, someone needs to tell these damn politicians on both side of the border and the media to stop pointing fingers and talk about ways to prevent more blackouts

Yep It's me!
    Originally posted by bleuchick
    forgot to mention that Ontario BUYS power from NY. It used to be the other way around not too long ago.

Yes, this is true. Ontario has been supplementing their power with power from NY state, and Quebec. (approx. 5%) Because of the price cap to consumers implemented by the provincial gov., it is more cost effective to buy power from outside the province rather than bringing shut down nuclear reactors in Ontario back online.
    Last edited by Norlite; 08-16-2003 at 05:43 PM.

Master Procrastinator
    There were lots of cities on this power grid whose system did what itwas supposed to do, block the problem before it affected them. Pittsburg is one of them. I don't care where the problem started; it's the fact that so many systems failed to block the problem. I live in the suburbs of Detroit and was without power for about 20 hours. Just enough to be inconvenienced, but certainly barable. It was an interesting learning experience, to be sure. If situations like this don't occur every once in a while, how else would the people know how to handle them?

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar

Massive Power Outage - From NY to Ottawa

Norlite:

Perhaps, it was outdated equipment that caused this power outage, but if Ontario did not depend on the US as its ownly major power source, they might have been spared.

BC Hydro supplies power to the US, but so far it still belongs to the people of BC. We have no desire to see it ripped apart and sold off. Sure we could have a blackout here as well, but according to the powers that be with BC Hydro it would be fixed within about a half an hour.

Even the "big wigs" in Ontario admitted they are too dependent on the US for their power.

Just a thought.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2