Houston Animal Cops - Not for the weak stomach | Golden Skate

Houston Animal Cops - Not for the weak stomach

mpal2

Final Flight
Was anyone watching the Animal Planet Channel?

They had the Houston Animal Cops on and I started watching because I was thinking along the lines of police dogs and such. I didn't realize that it was about cops chasing down people who abused and neglected animals.

They rescued some horses, cows and pigs on tonight's episode. They animals were in bad shape and I got so sick when they showed what was wrong with the horse. It had two holes in it's neck. As in, you could look throught two places in it's neck when you looked at it in profile. I had to run out of the room it made me so sick so I didn't hear what the vet had to say about it's condition. Did they say if there was anything they could do for it? Will it be all right? :cry: :(

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I have not seen the show, but we have had a couple of cases right here in BC where dogs were so abused they had to be rescued. It was horrible - the condition they were in. They showed it on the news. Definitely not for the weak stomached!

aly*cutie

On the Ice
oh man, that's terrible :( I love animals a lot. Its so sad that people can be so cruel to them. I'm glad I didn't see that, I would have gotten really sick, it makes me sick thinking about too, I hope all these animals are ok.

windspirit

On the Ice
I had seen the promos for it, but I missed it.

But I watch Animal Precinct often, so I can imagine... It certainly isn't for everyone. I hardly can watch it myself, but I do like to know what some people are capable of. But most of all, I think it's reassuring to see that someone's looking out for those animals, and people who hurt them will pay for what they've done.

Last time I watched AP they had bunch of newly born puppies (found in the garbage). Two of which were found by the neighbors, who contacted the police. When they arrived on the scene they found the rest of the puppies in a plastic bag that was still in the garbage. From 13 (I think) three were already dead when they brought them to the clinic. Eventually only two survived. Btw, when the police knocked on the door of the woman who threw them into garbage, she said, "At least I didn't kill them like other people do." Duh! What did she think would happen to them? They'd magically go to puppies heaven without dying from cold, hunger, thirst and lack of air first?

But the worst thing in that episode was a dog that was just barely alive when they found it. It looked like a bag of bones and was lying on one side, unable to move or even turn its head, just waiting for death. But when the police arrived its tail began to move, very slowly, but it was clear it was happy to see those people and that moving tail was the only reason the police thought the dog might survive. Like it knew the help was there... It really was a heartbreaking sight. :cry: :cry: Unfortunately it was too late. The dog died on the table in the hospital.

Let's just hope that AP and other programs like this will teach people that it's WRONG to hurt an animal. Well, those who don't know that yet. Like some kids whose parents didn't bother to teach them that (among other things).

(Edited to correct typos)

Last edited:

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
mpal2:

One of the most sickeningest news item I saw was the other night about a black bear some poachers killed and only removed the paws and gall bladder! They showed the gruesome pictures on the news! Scum!

mpal2

Final Flight
I got a partial answer to the horse's condition at another forum. Apparently it will be ok. I don't know how they were able to care for it though.

That was just a bad episode to watch especially if you're not aware of what the show is really about.

Cinderella on Ice

Bless you, Fairy Godmother, I'm Having a BALL!
On the Ice
We have four Shar Pei dogs at our house, all of whom came from a rescue group. Two of them truly were "rescued" from situations like you saw on the news. Mr. Coal was part of a breeding mill where they basically neglected the animals they were not selling, and he was covered with filth, excrement, sores, etc. Though he had been fed, his muscular condition was so bad, they surmised that he had never been out of his tiny cage in all 2-1/2 years except for the time he was used for breeding!!! When they raided the mill, he was so afraid of people that he was considered unadoptable because when you went near him, he began to shake until he "shut down" and turned into a black puddle of fur. No one wanted to adopt a dog they could not touch and who was afraid of the slightest thing (coughing, moving your hands, walking too fast). So we agreed to take him, since we had two dogs already, and lots of patience. To make a long story short, today he is a healthy, happy, GORGEOUS fat-faced boy with very few remnants of his former self.

Bijou was part of over 110 dogs that were seized from a puppy mill where a mother and daughter severely neglected all of the dogs. She, too, was covered in over a year's worth of muck, had open wounds and was so skinny she was just bones. She was so frightened that for three days after being rescued, all she did was "scream" and projectile vomit. She would bite at anyone who came near her, and she was marked to be destroyed because they thought otherwise she would slowly dehydrate and die a painful death. But because they had so many dogs to care for and find homes, she sort of existed in the background at the kennel for over a year. She got along with the other dogs, but no human could approach her. At that time, the rescue folks heard what we had done with Coal, so they agreed that we should give it a try. Again, long story short, today she is healthy, happy, LOVES to be petted, and is one of the most joyful dogs we've ever owned.

There is no excuse for people's cruelty like you have described. The only sympathy I've ever felt in a situation like this was a horse farm near us where the couple was quite elderly (in their 80s) and things sort of got away from them (and dementia had set in). While I don't condone what they did, it was easy to see they weren't competent or capable enough to stop the downward spiral, and intervention was necessary. That case was just sad all around. Otherwise, I think there should be very stiff penalties for these people.