Lack Education | Golden Skate

Lack Education

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
As I look through some of the job descriptions lately that are out there, I realize how limited my chances are due to lack of some skills and education. I have a "smattering" of experience here and there, but it seems to me employers are demanding more and more education. Oh bother....

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
Lad-
It doesn't hurt to inquire about those jobs. You never know what you will fall into so look at all your options.

Kara Bear

Final Flight
LAD, I totally understand your feelings. It is soo frustrating trying to find a job. I have the opposite problem. I have the degree but no experience, thus no job. :(

Keep plugging at it though. I'm sending you good luck wishes.

Norlite

On the Ice
Perhaps you should check into continuing education.

There are many courses that are linked to EI, that is, allowing you to collect while attending school.

RoaringMice

On the Ice
Kara Bear said:
LAD, I totally understand your feelings. It is soo frustrating trying to find a job. I have the opposite problem. I have the degree but no experience, thus no job. :(

Keep plugging at it though. I'm sending you good luck wishes.

For my students who are in the same boat, I recommend that they look into doing some volunteer work. Even if it's just once a week, so long as it's in your field, it counts as work experience and you can put it on your resume. A couple of my students and a few of my friends have done this, and it's really worked out for them.

RoaringMice

On the Ice
Ladskater said:
As I look through some of the job descriptions lately that are out there, I realize how limited my chances are due to lack of some skills and education. I have a "smattering" of experience here and there, but it seems to me employers are demanding more and more education. Oh bother....

This is absolutely true. In tough economic times, employers can afford to be much more picky. Still, often the qualifications they list are for their "ideal" candidate. If you don't meet 100% of what they want, you can still apply, and you never know - if you meet many of their needs, but not all, you may still get hired.

Education is a tough one, though. I used to be a recruiter, and found that, if an employer required a BA in something, you'd need to have a heck of a lot of work experience in that field in order to make up for your not having that BA. So, if you have neither the degree nor the experience, getting that type of job would be very difficult.

Are you interested in going back to school? There are a lot of schools that cater to adults out there, and might be right for you. It's expensive, but often worth it. Just be careful to pick the right school and the right program. Especially as an adult, you want to major in something useful if you expect the degree to lead to a certain type of job, and go to an accredited school with a brick and mortar presence and a decent reputation in your area.