Midori Ito @ 11 yrs old - as good as today's Baby Ballerinas. | Golden Skate

Midori Ito @ 11 yrs old - as good as today's Baby Ballerinas.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
she was so tiny! I have to say that her spins and flexibility were nowhere near some girls of the same age that are skating now. and she needed to stretch her free-leg out more entering the jumps. the jumps themselves though, and the speed are stunning.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Midori Ito was known for her great jumping ability. Her jumps were powerful. In fact, Kurt Browning used to say "Midori could compete with the men." She was often criticized for her lack of aritstry, but made up for that in her wonderful jumping technique. Who could forget her famous leap off the ice and almost taking out the camera man and then her quick recovery?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yG1B7SH-RbY&feature=related

Midori really was an amazing skater.

floskate

On the Ice
she was so tiny! I have to say that her spins and flexibility were nowhere near some girls of the same age that are skating now. and she needed to stretch her free-leg out more entering the jumps. the jumps themselves though, and the speed are stunning.

To be fair in 1980 - other than Biellmann, there weren't many skaters out there who could spin as well as Midori. The catchfoot Y spin was quite novel for the time and her scratch is terrific. Midori would have made a truly great CoP skater. Her transitions were terrific, she had very difficult step sequences and all her programs were full of steps and MITF.

But to even compare her to the so-called baby ballerina's is just wrong. Midori was the exact antithesis of this. Her magic came from speed, power, bags of personality plus a megawatt smile that simply carried along the audience for one helluav ride when she skated.

I totally love her and wish she was skating today. She added so much to this sport and IMO is seriously underrated by many as a skater. She was nothing short of a genius. :rock:

Wrlmy

Medalist
To be fair in 1980 - other than Biellmann, there weren't many skaters out there who could spin as well as Midori. The catchfoot Y spin was quite novel for the time and her scratch is terrific. Midori would have made a truly great CoP skater. Her transitions were terrific, she had very difficult step sequences and all her programs were full of steps and MITF.

But to even compare her to the so-called baby ballerina's is just wrong. Midori was the exact antithesis of this. Her magic came from speed, power, bags of personality plus a megawatt smile that simply carried along the audience for one helluav ride when she skated.

I totally love her and wish she was skating today. She added so much to this sport and IMO is seriously underrated by many as a skater. She was nothing short of a genius. :rock:

ITA. As a kid, I always rooted for Kristi Yamaguchi over her, but Midori Ito is greatness personified!

Bennett

Record Breaker

Was she like the current Joubert? His performances are very energetic and exciting and his jumps are very powerful and have "wow" factors.

I think her spins very strong. Her layback has a nice position. Her spins remind me of Miki's in that both have nice power to center the spin.

MasterB

Final Flight
I was just watching her yesterday on Youtube (a godsend) and couldn't get over how much I miss her.

Her biggest mistake was trying to be graceful. (91-92 season). She was raw power and energy personified. Music should have been compose to suit her speed and power. Skating to Rach brought down her performance level.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Ito was such fun to watch! Now, I'm not saying Yukari is another Midori, but Midori's leg wrap seems such a non-issue, and I wonder why such a big deal is made of Nakano's? I guess Midori did minimize it over the years, but still...

What a joy to watch. She has an artlessness and grace that are above art - it's the effortlessness of the angels. I adore her shy smile and courteous nods (in later vids, not these). Personally I like 11- and 12-year-olds to look their age, and not pretend to be "artistes" or little Jon Benet Ramsays.

I too think her spins are great. She doesn't twist like a pretzel, but she has great speed and revolutions.

Midori Ito - truly one of the greatest.

floskate

On the Ice
Midori had her crossed leg turned out at the hip when she jumped which meant she could manipulate the wrap depending on what kind of height she got. She was incredibly aware in the air and if you study her jumps closely you can see that she can minimise the wrap at will when she needs faster rotation. See her triple lutz at the beginning of the 1989 Worlds LP. Not as high as it usually was so she closed her legs a little more.

I always thought it gave her jumps an added aura of height and suspension, plus quite slow rotation which always drew gasps. Nakano wraps with her legs in the same position on lutz, flip and - when she does it - loop. The position never alters.

MasterB

Final Flight
I think Scott Hamilton said it best:

"It'll be 50 years before we see another skater like this"

16 down, 34 more to go.