Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My site

Skating Soprano

My site

http://skatepixie.tripod.com/

Its really new, ivillage deleted my old one and xanga is down. So bare with the construction.

I went to that page and won't go back. Too many pop ups and whoever posts on it can't even spell.

Yep It's me!
    I understand Grgranny's concerns!

Skatepixie: You seem to really have an interest in writing. You might want to invest in a dictionary. There are even on-line ones! Try this site: Dictionary

Using the proper spelling and punctuation will make your stories more pleasant for others to read.

Just a thought.

I'm sorry if she found it hurtful but if she can't spell LOSING and HATING correctly and still says there are no spelling errors, she has a problem. And I did get pop-ups when I went back. :D
    Last edited by Grgranny; 08-17-2003 at 11:24 AM.

This post does not belong in The Edge. It belongs in Annoucements. The Edge is for discussion of figure skating - not for advertising other websites unless there is an important figure skating item.

Joesitz

I'm with Grgranny on that. If someone wants others to take their writing seriously, they should work on their spelling. Well, they should work on it even if they write only to communicate with others. But I also think we should cut the girl some slack, since she's only 15. (I must've missed her post where she said there're no spelling errors...?)

As for pop-ups, I tried my new Google toolbar on that web site, and it woooorks! No pop-ups! :D I had their toolbar before and liked it, but yesterday I noticed they had a new version -- with a pop-up blocker (among other things). If someone wants to try it:
    http://toolbar.google.com/

Joe, maybe someone could move it to the Annoucements forum? Can't mods do that?

Well, I guess I should apologize. When I went to school you had to learn to spell and could spell those words in the 2 or 3rd grade. Anyone who is 15 should know better. The point is:
    If you want to get ahead in life, especially when you go to get a job or something, how seriously are they going to take it if you can't spell? The first thing they are going to look at is your grammar and then when they read your resume, etc. your spelling.
    So, I apologize for coming down too hard on her and for posting in the wrong forum. I take things hard when they come down on me but try to learn from them and go on. This time I am not taking it hard though as I think one should learn from these things and I am never too old to learn. So, instead of hurt feelings, try to learn.
    I was never very smart in school, or anywhere, but could learn to spell and read very well. I could spell down all the older kids by the time I was in 3rd or 4th grade. And I was dumb!!! I also never was very good at being tactful. Since I never went to college I don't know how much it works against you if you were not good at spelling. I sure can't believe it would be at all helpful. To me, it is important as when someone reads your posts it is coming across as part of your character. If I am wrong, please, please, correct me.

p. s.
    The remark about her saying she checked and her spelling was correct was in a private message.

Skating Soprano
    As far as spelling goes, I should be honest and up frount about my background here. I learned to read by age 5 and so reading and spelling were never connected because all I can do is sight read, Ive never learned to sound out. They tried to teach me. They even tried for hours one-on-one to teach me. I just cant learn to sound out. My dad is the same way. Finally they gave up by about 6th grade. In 7th one of the teachers helped me bring it to california state level and in high school I transfered to catholic school. It hasnt been buch of an issue because I have spell check for everything.

As for not putting ' in my contractions, when I went to pase my story from word to tripod page bulider it told me I had illegal things and removed those and " from everything. i added the " back in but I decided not to add the ' back because it would have become a long drawn out process.

Bless you, Fairy Godmother, I'm Having a BALL! Cinderella on Ice's Avatar
    I agree that good spelling and proper punctuation are important, and Skatepixie would do well to work on those.

But I'd also like to encourage Skatepixie to continue journaling and building her website as expressions of her creativity. Skating is such a fabulous sport, and putting your thoughts in writing is sure to help you improve your abilities. Getting a website started is hard work, but continuing to feed it with content and substance is a major undertaking. So good for you for wanting to make a commitment to doing so, and I wish you the best as you make additions and improvements. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Skating Soprano
    thank you.

I just hope you all understand that, short of causing myself to go crazy, there really isnt anything I CAN do about the spelling.

Pixie, I really wish I could be of help to you. I don't understand why they say you can't learn that. It's sure not my forte. Does that mean you cannot memorize anything either? I have a really hard time memorizing. (Actually, I have a hard time remembering.
    )
    Last edited by Grgranny; 08-17-2003 at 11:23 AM.

Gold Medalist
    Originally posted by Grgranny
    I'm sorry if she found it hurtful but if she can't spell LOSING and HATING corriectly and still says there are no spelling errors, she has a problem. And I did get pop-ups when I went back. :D

Speaking of spelling....you spelled correctly wrong. lol

Of course, I know better. It was a typo. I usually don't miss them.

Skating Soprano
    perhaps its that I burst into tears at the thought. Ive been through a lot about spelling. I can remember things like facts, dates even, but I cant unless there is a flow to it. Therefore, spelling, mult tables, and math formulas are lost on me. I live. Its not such a big deal in my life. However, any time it DOES get mentioned, its like a dagger streight to the heart. It was wrong of me to expect you to read my mind about this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast