Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: My site

Yep It's me!
    Originally posted by skatepixie
    perhaps its that I burst into tears at the thought................. However, any time it DOES get mentioned, its like a dagger streight to the heart. It was wrong of me to expect you to read my mind about this.

Hey, many of us are not naturally gifted at spelling. I, for one, am a horrible speller. I don't make excuses (such as implying have a learning disability) or just give up. I use spell check where available, or a dictionary if I must.

I was going to say, don't worry about it, it's no big deal if it doesn't bother you, but it obviously does, as your post above indicates.

I would think that anyone who "bursts into tears" or has a feeling such as "a dagger straight to the heart" would want to take a little more care to use punctuation when typing "Ive" or type the word "you" instead of "u" as noted in a post in another part of this forum.

But like I said, it isn't really a big deal to the rest of us, we can simply ignore your posts if it bothers us too much. I am only thinking of all the anguish you state it is causing you.

Skating Soprano
    well, i think there are a few posters who are out of line with this, in that perhaps the comments they made were more than a little out of line. I dont have a problem with "chat speak" is you will, nor to i consider it a spelling error. Im instead of I'm shouldnt be annoying. If it is, I think there would be very few people that wouldnt be irritating.

The dagger to the heart is remarks like this:

Originally posted by Grgranny
    I think Toller changed the sport for the better, myself. And I love Michelle's smile. But then consider the source of someone who can't even spell cheat.
    that imply that I dont have a right to an opinion because I cant spell.

I run important things through spell check. My story gets run through. A dictionary wont help because I cant sound out. I also dont catch my own errors so i would have to look up almost evry word. I didnt run my journal though. I will though when Im less pressed for time and with future entries. I dont run message board posts because it just takes too much time, although I do read them over.

How many times do I have to say I'm sorry? I really am. If I can be of any help, let me know.
    Can we just let it go now and be friends?
    I am wondering if you might have other options to get help. I have no idea what kind of help it would take but I think there might be some way to get help instead of just saying I can't do it. There are always a few people (teachers, etc.) who just give up but most of them will try and look for different answers. I would really hate for you to quit trying. There really should be some kind of teachers that would have the knowledge to help with these kinds of situations.
    I wish the best for you and hope you keep looking for better answers for this problem.

Spellings not my best subject... (I've never been a good speeler ) but I agree with the spelling and grammar thing... I really don't enjoy going to websites with a lot of short hand and what not. It's good for a journal once in a while... but at the same time it really shows you worked hard...

instead of using tripod use your word program and check words that way...

I'm a huge reader and that's how I've learned to spell... but like GrGranny said, you can't get by without some spelling skills

Skating Soprano
    How many times do I have to say I'm sorry? I really am. If I can be of any help, let me know.
    Can we just let it go now and be friends?
    I accept.

I am wondering if you might have other options to get help. I have no idea what kind of help it would take but I think there might be some way to get help instead of just saying I can't do it. There are always a few people (teachers, etc.) who just give up but most of them will try and look for different answers. I would really hate for you to quit trying. There really should be some kind of teachers that would have the knowledge to help with these kinds of situations.
    I wish the best for you and hope you keep looking for better answers for this problem.
    [/B]
    I had all the best people on it trying to find out if I was disabled. 10 one on one teachers. Im at grade level. Im happy. Thats what matters. I can fix it, just not without giving it 3 hrs a day for the next 5 years. A skater attending high school cant give that and still have time to just mess around or spend time with friends. My mom is always saing work harder (not on spelling though) and spend less time online, but its a way to unwind.

Hi SkatePixie,

Spelling was my worst subject in school, too. I was so bad that my teachers thought I was faking it just to make them crazy: "You're so smart in math, why can't you spell C-A-T?!"

When I was in the first grade they were just starting to experiment with the "look-say" method of teaching reading, where children are taught to recognize whole words rather than to sound out each syllable. My parents blamed this non-phonetic approach for my difficulties in spelling later on, but I don't know if this is right or not. Everybody is good at some things and not so good at others. I went on on to get a PhD in mathematics and to become a college mathematics professor. But I still can't spell without a dictionary at hand or running spellchecker all the time.

I keep working at it though. Here's a tip that I recently learned. When does a word end in "ence" rather than "ance?"

Answer: if it comes from a Latin verb that ends in "ere" then it's "ence" and if it comes from a Latin verb that ends in "are" then it ends in "ance." My parents made me study Latin in high school just so I would learn things like that.

But it still didn't make me a better speller.

Mathman
    Last edited by Mathman; 08-18-2003 at 07:20 AM.

Skating Soprano
    Im taking latin-itll be Latin II starting a week from today- and it helps somewhat.

This is just trying to help. On words that need an apostrophe, can you remember if it's two words rolled into one and the apostrophe goes where the letters are missing? In other words, when you say it's the i from is is missing and so it would be it's.
    Don't - do not
    it'll - it will
    Hope I explained it ok.
    Last edited by Grgranny; 08-19-2003 at 12:03 PM.

Skating Soprano
    i remember and do it for school and in handwriting. I just really hate reaching over to that side of the keyboard because of the wy my desk is I have to type on my lap at a slant. I do school stuff on my dads computer so I can type properly. if you notice, most of my typos are on the right side of the key board.

Custom Title
    Originally posted by skatepixie
    As far as spelling goes, I should be honest and up frount about my background here. I learned to read by age 5 and so reading and spelling were never connected because all I can do is sight read, Ive never learned to sound out.
    Skatepixie,

I'm a little confused on why you've connected reading at age 5 with spelling problems. This is not a criticism just curiosity. My older sister wanted to play school and taught me to read at 4 1/2 and I haven't had problems learning to spell. I'm just wondering if there is something else.

Don't feel too bad about it, there are a lot of people dealing with several types and severity of learning disabilities. My roommate struggled all the way through to her junior year in college before they diagnosed dyslexia. I wish they could have helped her sooner. She really had to fight her way through and her chosen field is far too picky about the grade average. She has plenty of practical experience and intelligence, she just doesn't have straight A's.

I think my dad had to deal with a minor learning disability which has never been diagnosed. He would never bother going to get tested anyway. No one expected him to even go to college much less end up with post graduate degrees and teaching! Way to go dad!

Edited: Don't let it stop you from doing what you're doing with the website. Just be really careful with spellcheck. My brother-in-law found out that he is really good at pubic speaking instead of public speaking.

Hey GrGranny: "apostrophe"

Skating Soprano
    I was never taughted to read is what I meant. Theyre sure thats theres nothing wrong exactly except that I cant sound out words.

Custom Title
    No pop ups for me but it helps that I block them with a pop up program from Norten:\

Nice site Pixie. Good luck on your spins!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2