My site | Golden Skate

My site

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I went to that page and won't go back. Too many pop ups and whoever posts on it can't even spell.

Norlite

On the Ice
I understand Grgranny's concerns! :cry:

Skatepixie: You seem to really have an interest in writing. You might want to invest in a dictionary. There are even on-line ones! Try this site: Dictionary

Using the proper spelling and punctuation will make your stories more pleasant for others to read.
:)

Just a thought.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I'm sorry if she found it hurtful but if she can't spell LOSING and HATING correctly and still says there are no spelling errors, she has a problem. And I did get pop-ups when I went back. :D

Last edited:
This post does not belong in The Edge. It belongs in Annoucements. The Edge is for discussion of figure skating - not for advertising other websites unless there is an important figure skating item.

Joesitz

windspirit

On the Ice
I'm with Grgranny on that. If someone wants others to take their writing seriously, they should work on their spelling. Well, they should work on it even if they write only to communicate with others. But I also think we should cut the girl some slack, since she's only 15. (I must've missed her post where she said there're no spelling errors...?)

As for pop-ups, I tried my new Google toolbar on that web site, and it woooorks! No pop-ups! :D I had their toolbar before and liked it, but yesterday I noticed they had a new version -- with a pop-up blocker (among other things). If someone wants to try it:
http://toolbar.google.com/

Joe, maybe someone could move it to the Annoucements forum? Can't mods do that?

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
Well, I guess I should apologize. When I went to school you had to learn to spell and could spell those words in the 2 or 3rd grade. Anyone who is 15 should know better. The point is:
If you want to get ahead in life, especially when you go to get a job or something, how seriously are they going to take it if you can't spell? The first thing they are going to look at is your grammar and then when they read your resume, etc. your spelling.
So, I apologize for coming down too hard on her and for posting in the wrong forum. I take things hard when they come down on me but try to learn from them and go on. This time I am not taking it hard though as I think one should learn from these things and I am never too old to learn. So, instead of hurt feelings, try to learn.
I was never very smart in school, or anywhere, but could learn to spell and read very well. I could spell down all the older kids by the time I was in 3rd or 4th grade. And I was dumb!!! I also never was very good at being tactful. Since I never went to college I don't know how much it works against you if you were not good at spelling. I sure can't believe it would be at all helpful. To me, it is important as when someone reads your posts it is coming across as part of your character. If I am wrong, please, please, correct me.:cry:

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
p. s.
The remark about her saying she checked and her spelling was correct was in a private message.

skatepixie

On the Ice
As far as spelling goes, I should be honest and up frount about my background here. I learned to read by age 5 and so reading and spelling were never connected because all I can do is sight read, Ive never learned to sound out. They tried to teach me. They even tried for hours one-on-one to teach me. I just cant learn to sound out. My dad is the same way. Finally they gave up by about 6th grade. In 7th one of the teachers helped me bring it to california state level and in high school I transfered to catholic school. It hasnt been buch of an issue because I have spell check for everything.

As for not putting ' in my contractions, when I went to pase my story from word to tripod page bulider it told me I had illegal things and removed those and " from everything. i added the " back in but I decided not to add the ' back because it would have become a long drawn out process.

Cinderella on Ice

Bless you, Fairy Godmother, I'm Having a BALL!
On the Ice
I agree that good spelling and proper punctuation are important, and Skatepixie would do well to work on those.

But I'd also like to encourage Skatepixie to continue journaling and building her website as expressions of her creativity. Skating is such a fabulous sport, and putting your thoughts in writing is sure to help you improve your abilities. Getting a website started is hard work, but continuing to feed it with content and substance is a major undertaking. So good for you for wanting to make a commitment to doing so, and I wish you the best as you make additions and improvements. Thanks for sharing it with us.

skatepixie

On the Ice
thank you.

I just hope you all understand that, short of causing myself to go crazy, there really isnt anything I CAN do about the spelling.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
Pixie, I really wish I could be of help to you. I don't understand why they say you can't learn that. It's sure not my forte. Does that mean you cannot memorize anything either? I have a really hard time memorizing. (Actually, I have a hard time remembering.
:laugh: )

Last edited:

sk8guy2k2

On the Ice
Grgranny said:
I'm sorry if she found it hurtful but if she can't spell LOSING and HATING corriectly and still says there are no spelling errors, she has a problem. And I did get pop-ups when I went back. :D

Speaking of spelling....you spelled correctly wrong. :laugh: lol

skatepixie

On the Ice
perhaps its that I burst into tears at the thought. Ive been through a lot about spelling. I can remember things like facts, dates even, but I cant unless there is a flow to it. Therefore, spelling, mult tables, and math formulas are lost on me. I live. Its not such a big deal in my life. However, any time it DOES get mentioned, its like a dagger streight to the heart. It was wrong of me to expect you to read my mind about this.

Norlite

On the Ice
skatepixie said:
perhaps its that I burst into tears at the thought................. However, any time it DOES get mentioned, its like a dagger streight to the heart. It was wrong of me to expect you to read my mind about this.

Hey, many of us are not naturally gifted at spelling. I, for one, am a horrible speller. I don't make excuses (such as implying have a learning disability) or just give up. I use spell check where available, or a dictionary if I must.

I was going to say, don't worry about it, it's no big deal if it doesn't bother you, but it obviously does, as your post above indicates.

I would think that anyone who "bursts into tears" or has a feeling such as "a dagger straight to the heart" would want to take a little more care to use punctuation when typing "Ive" or type the word "you" instead of "u" as noted in a post in another part of this forum.

But like I said, it isn't really a big deal to the rest of us, we can simply ignore your posts if it bothers us too much. I am only thinking of all the anguish you state it is causing you.

skatepixie

On the Ice
well, i think there are a few posters who are out of line with this, in that perhaps the comments they made were more than a little out of line. I dont have a problem with "chat speak" is you will, nor to i consider it a spelling error. Im instead of I'm shouldnt be annoying. If it is, I think there would be very few people that wouldnt be irritating.

The dagger to the heart is remarks like this:

Grgranny said:
I think Toller changed the sport for the better, myself. And I love Michelle's smile. But then consider the source of someone who can't even spell cheat.

that imply that I dont have a right to an opinion because I cant spell.

I run important things through spell check. My story gets run through. A dictionary wont help because I cant sound out. I also dont catch my own errors so i would have to look up almost evry word. I didnt run my journal though. I will though when Im less pressed for time and with future entries. I dont run message board posts because it just takes too much time, although I do read them over.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
How many times do I have to say I'm sorry? I really am. If I can be of any help, let me know. :cry:
Can we just let it go now and be friends? :love:
I am wondering if you might have other options to get help. I have no idea what kind of help it would take but I think there might be some way to get help instead of just saying I can't do it. There are always a few people (teachers, etc.) who just give up but most of them will try and look for different answers. I would really hate for you to quit trying. There really should be some kind of teachers that would have the knowledge to help with these kinds of situations.
I wish the best for you and hope you keep looking for better answers for this problem.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Spellings not my best subject... (I've never been a good speeler ;)) but I agree with the spelling and grammar thing... I really don't enjoy going to websites with a lot of short hand and what not. It's good for a journal once in a while... but at the same time it really shows you worked hard...

instead of using tripod use your word program and check words that way...

I'm a huge reader and that's how I've learned to spell... but like GrGranny said, you can't get by without some spelling skills :)

skatepixie

On the Ice
Grgranny said:
How many times do I have to say I'm sorry? I really am. If I can be of any help, let me know. :cry:
Can we just let it go now and be friends? :love:

I accept.

Grgranny said:
I am wondering if you might have other options to get help. I have no idea what kind of help it would take but I think there might be some way to get help instead of just saying I can't do it. There are always a few people (teachers, etc.) who just give up but most of them will try and look for different answers. I would really hate for you to quit trying. There really should be some kind of teachers that would have the knowledge to help with these kinds of situations.
I wish the best for you and hope you keep looking for better answers for this problem.
[/B]

I had all the best people on it trying to find out if I was disabled. 10 one on one teachers. Im at grade level. Im happy. Thats what matters. I can fix it, just not without giving it 3 hrs a day for the next 5 years. A skater attending high school cant give that and still have time to just mess around or spend time with friends. My mom is always saing work harder (not on spelling though) and spend less time online, but its a way to unwind.