Custom Skates Advice | Golden Skate

Custom Skates Advice

icedancingnut31

On the Ice
I am in ISI FS3 and I have so many foot problems my doctor reccomended customs. What brands do you reccomend? I am considering Klingbeil now but I have heard good things about harlick too. I need advice

mskater93

Record Breaker
What kind of boots are you currently wearing? What do you like/dislike about them? That can point you in the right direction for customs. I was in stock Harlicks and had a few issues that needed fixing that only a custom could fix (my split width was too far apart to get a semi custom). Go see a good boot fitter!!

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
I have custom Klingbeil's that I like very much. I do have a issue with my right boot being a little to big (I need to send it back to get fixed). My left boot is fine, it's my left foot that is not. I have a big bunion and all sorts of bones that stick out. This makes it painful at times to skate. I've tried all different things to make it more comfortable, but the bottom line is I need to have surgery.

Kristin

Rinkside
I am in Jackson elites. They give me bunions corns and blisters and kill me when I skate.

Sounds to me that you weren't fitted well in the first place. Jacksons shouldn't cause all those problems because they are heat-molded in a small oven & are supposed to conform to your foot shape. Who fitted you for these boots?

I know know this because I was in Jacksons for years & loved them because I had massive bunion problems which were from a previously "ill-fitted" pair of skates. My bootfitter put me in the Jacksons to help me skate without pain. Eventually, once I got much higher in skating levels (I'm an Adult Silver FS level who is working on Juvenile & Adult gold moves), I needed a special custom boot & had to change brands (I'm in a custom Harlick now). It wasn't because the Jacksons were a "bad" boot, it was just because I had other unique issues that had to be addressed with my feet. Harlick meets my needs now, but maybe in the future that may change? Who knows. As we continue to go up in levels, sometimes you run into new problems. You have to go with the flow.

Everyone is different so what works for one person won't necessarily work for your feet. Find a few high-level skaters at your rink (people landing doubles or triples) and ask them WHO they go to to get fitted for their skates. Then make an appointment with that bootfitter & see what he/she recommends for your unique foot problems! THAT will be the best boot for you. :agree:

megsk8z

On the Ice
Lots of people seem to go with Klingbeil these days because they take less time to break in, but I wear custom Harlicks and wouldn't trade them for anything. My boot choice may be partly sentimental; I wore Harlicks when I was a kid and could actually get air when I jumped.

You might want to check out the prices, too, before you come to a decision.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Boots are pretty much the same cost across the board for customs these days - all within approximately $50 for the equivalent boot. I say find a fitter who is well respected and recommended. I think you are in CA since you watched a competition there last weekend - you have the benefit of being able to work with either Harlick or SP Teri directly for a fitting if you choose that route. Good luck!