Yukari is now sponsored by the Prince Hotel!!!! | Golden Skate

Yukari is now sponsored by the Prince Hotel!!!!

Bennett

Record Breaker
I am very happy to hear that Yukari finally found a sponsor, The Prince Hotel!!! The article says that she now "belongs to" the company, by which I understand that she is perhaps hired by that company for her amature skating activities, which would probably give her a stable financial source to much or all of her expenses for skating and for the daily life. I am very very happy for her that she can now skate without financial strain. Her efforts and improvements are deservingly acknowledged.

http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20080402-00000170-mai-spo (Japanese)

She has just finished her undergrad at the Waseda Univ and will be in grad school at Waseda while skating. I have no idea how graduate studies and skating can be pursued simulteneously because grad studies certainly deserve the fill-time or even 120%-time commitment so does being a top skater. But perhaps it might depends on how much Waseda----as a private school----values her skills, talent, and potentiality as a skater. Perhaps they would be proud of having an Olympic medal contender, judging from the way the school and almuni were excited about Shizuka's Gold (Shizuka also did her undergrad at Waseda). Now that Yukari has the company to belong to, I feel that her commitment to graduate school could be even more flexible.

Daisuke has also started grad school at the Kansai Univ, the same univ. from which he has just graduated. Kansai Univ is extremely proud of him. They gave him a special award at his graduation. Staying at Kansai Univ also would be good for him because of the good university rink that they built for Dai, Nobu, and others. I wonder if he doesn't find a company to belong to. He has appeared at multiple commercials. But I don't think that he has a specific company to belong to. Yet, sometimes one could earn more by doing so (like Mao does; Miki also used to so before), than belonging to one specific company (like Miki and Kozuka now do).

As for Yukari, I think that belonging to just one company would work for her better. I simply cannot imagine her appearing all the commercials because she is known for being serious by nature and all the media exposures could be too much distraction for her. She looks like a very decent, reliable young lady whom you would like to see belonging to an ordinary school or a company rather than as an individual star who gets attention in TV. So I am happy for her that she now belongs to such a decent, dependable company as The Prince Hotel. She could focus on her skating and studies calmly and steadily.

Last edited:

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
This is indeed very good news. I remember the article a few months ago where she states she regrets the financial burden her skating puts on her family. She really deserves this.

My browser doesn't print Japanese characters, just little squares like this.

"今年のフィギュアスケート世界選手権4位の中野友加里(22)がプリンスホテルの所属となったことが2日分かった。中野は今春に早大を卒業。早大大学院に進んだが、今後は大学院に通いながら競技を続ける。"

But those little squares sure look happy. :biggrin:

Bennett

Record Breaker
This is indeed very good news. I remember the article a few months ago where she states she regrets the financial burden her skating puts on her family. She really deserves this.

My browser doesn't print Japanese characters, just little squares like this.

"今年のフィギュアスケート世界選手権4位の中野友加里(22)がプリンスホテルの所属となったことが2日分かった。中野は今春に早大を卒業。早大大学院に進んだが、今後は大学院に通いながら競技を続ける。"

But those little squares sure look happy. :biggrin:

On my browser, I can see these characters that you pasted here.

Wrlmy

Medalist
Do you happen to know what she's majoring? Anyway, she is a very accomplished lady. There are not many world class athletes who pursue high aducation at such prestigeous university at the same time. Good for her!

Mafke

Medalist
I'm very glad that this awesome performer and athlete is starting to get the support she so richly deserves.

I didn't like her skating (when by all accounts it had already improved a lot), but she's improved a huge amount in the last couple of seasons (past the age that most skaters stop developing). Okay, the wrap has gotten worse and I wish she'd fix it (at least go back to the Ito demi-wrap) but she's become one of the most exciting female skaters going.

Best of luck to her in the coming months and seasons on and off the ice.

Prince Hotels is the biggest sponsor of figure skating tours in Japan. At least this will mean that Yukari will get to appear in all of their shows. :clap:

Bennett

Record Breaker
Prince Hotels is the biggest sponsor of figure skating tours in Japan. At least this will mean that Yukari will get to appear in all of their shows. :clap:

Shizuka also belongs to The Prince Hotel and has a lot of ice shows. So perhaps Yukari could work as a pro skater after finishing up her grad school? I remember her saying that she'd like to become a journalist though.

It would be nice if other talented, artistic skaters like Yukina Ota and Akiko Suzuki can be hired there.

Last edited:

Kasey

Medalist
Good for Yukari, she deserves it. I hope that it will help her to have even more success next year. She's a young lady who deserves to be on the world podium.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
Good for Yukari, she deserves it. I hope that it will help her to have even more success next year. She's a young lady who deserves to be on the world podium.

Yes, but does she deserve to be on the 2009 podium? .....................

......................... or the 2008 podium? :biggrin:

tidesong

Spectator
I remember the article sometime back when she mentioned having difficulty finding a sponsor. I am glad that she has something worked out now!

Skye

On the Ice
Shizuka also belongs to The Prince Hotel and has a lot of ice shows. So perhaps Yukari could work as a pro skater after finishing up her grad school? I remember her saying that she'd like to become a journalist though.

It would be nice if other talented, artistic skaters like Yukina Ota and Akiko Suzuki can be hired there.

Yes, the first thing that came into mind when encountering this news was how both skaters are Waseda graduates and now belong to the same company. I'm sure Yukari would serve as a perfect pro skater - she has gorgeous spins, wonderful musicality, and she doesn't have to do the leg-wrapped jumps in ice shows!

OT, but is there any information on Yukina Ota and Akiko Suzuki regarding their plans for the new season? I'm worried, with the current depth in the Japanese ladies, they might be easily discouraged being unable to compete in major internationals.