Can the ladies use a 3A for their triple requirement in the SP? | Golden Skate

Can the ladies use a 3A for their triple requirement in the SP?

exNyer2

Rinkside
I notice that there are approx a handful of senior ladies who have included a 3axel in their LPs.
Do the rules allow them to use a 3axel as their triple jump out of steps requirement?

gkelly

Record Breaker
Yes, that would be allowed. They could choose that if they're better at doing the triple axel immediately preceded by steps or other skating moves than they are at putting a double toe afterward.

gio

Medalist
Why Mao Asada doesn't include the 3A in the SP, rather than doing a flutz? Same with Nakano. Why she doesn't try it, since it is her major weapon to distance herself from others?
Maybe cause the 3A puts to much pressure on them?

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
yes. I think that they could also use it as their combination jump. Personally I think Yukuri should do this if her 3 axel is as solid next season as it was this season. She could use those extra points. If she does a 3 axel-2 toe combo, 2 axel and perhaps a 3 loop (she dosen't wrap on that jump) she could win a lot of SPs.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Harding was the first to try the 3A in the short. She said it was more consistent than the 3Lz. She didn't hit it and kept herself off the podium in 92.

Mao's 3A is not all that consistent. She got credit for full rotation only 2 or 3 times this year out of all the competitions she skated in and those had negative GOEs. Why try something you have < 50% chance of landing and possibly put yourself out of contention for any kind of medal with the under rotation call, the negative GOE and the possible -1 total on a fall?

Bennett

Record Breaker
I agree with the previous poster that Mao's 3A appears too inconsistent to be included in SP. She got the full credit of 3A only once this season (4CC) and once in the previous season (Nationals). I hope it gets better next season. But in the meantime, focusing on fixing flutz would be the first priority.

Yukari seems to be good at landing jumps, by which I mean she barely falls on any jump. IIRC, she at least landed all 3A attempts this season. But she URs. So it may be a bit risky. But she URs in a lot of other jumps as well. She also got the edge call on her lutz at least once and clearly doubled it at least once this season. So I don't know which is better. For her, it may be worth taking the risk.

Last edited:

mskater93

Record Breaker
Yukari also got an edge call on her flip at least once this season! I believe the callers are just inconsistent with some skater.

Skating under IJS is a risk-reward management process. You weigh your risk on missing (what percentage are you likely to miss an element) versus the reward (points gained for full credit).

Bennett

Record Breaker
Yukari also got an edge call on her flip at least once this season! I believe the callers are just inconsistent with some skater.

Right. But I don't know if it was judges that were inconsistent. You might lip and flutz.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Usually you do one or the other, not both, as it's typically a problem with technique on one or another.