Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Most 6.0s in international comps!

On the Ice

Question Most 6.0s in international comps!

Hi, I'm new here and really interested in one question: I know Torvill/Dean are lightyears away here, even though I have no idea about the exact number. But which skater/s come/s next? And where in the net can I find a topical statistic about it? Thank you!

Gold Medalist
    I remember reading that Miori Ito had the most for ladies in one competition. Not sure though since its as quite a while ago.
    Last edited by sk8guy2k2; 08-16-2003 at 07:33 PM.

In the void
    Sorry - I only know the record by T&D - altogether 155 sixes and the record of 29 at a single championship (worlds 1984):

3 for compulsory dance Westminster waltz
    4 for compulsory dance Rhumba
    9 (artistic) for the OSP "Capriccio espagnol"
    4 (technical) + 9 (artistic) for the Free dance "Bolero"

There is a page about 6.0s at worlds - but it wasn't updated for quite a while:

http://www.usfsa.org/worlds01/history/6-0.html

On the Ice
    Thank you!

Too bad the list is only about Worlds and not updated. Nobody seems to have a statistic about 6.0s at all major events like Olympics, Worlds, Euros, Four-Continents and Grand Prix?! :(

Eville Eastern Bloc Poster

Exclamation Numbers!

Based on the events above and because of a similar thread which has been before on another board I'm able to deliever at least two further "numbers": Alexei Yagudin was decorated with nineteen 6.0s (plus seven 6.0s at so called "fluff" competitions) at the following "big" events:

- One 6.0 for presentation, SP "Circus" at Euros 1999 in Prague
    - One 6.0 for technique, LP " Lawrence of Arabia", at Worlds 1999 in Helsinki
    - Two 6.0s for presentation, LP "Gladiator", at Skate Canada 2000 in Missisauga
    - Three 6.0s for presentation, LP "Gladiator, at Trophy Lalique 2000 in Paris
    - Four 6.0s for presentation, LP "Man in the iron mask", at Olympics 2002 in SLC
    - One 6.0 for technique, SP "Winter", at Worlds 2002 in Nagano
    - Five 6.0s for presentation, SP "Winter" at Worlds 2002 in Nagano
    - Two 6.0s for presentation, LP "Man in the iron mask", at Worlds 2002 in Nagano

I assume Plushenko's "number" is similar, maybe a few more, maybe a few less, which makes anyone of them THE single skater with the most 6.0s, no matter in which order!

BTW, correct me if I'm wrong: If I remember it right, Kwan got so far eight 6.0s at major events .... :D

Anke
    Last edited by Germanice; 08-15-2003 at 05:53 PM.

If I recall the American coverage of 6.0's correctly, Michelle has received more than 20 6.0's - that may be at only US Nationals. Not sure about that. The 2nd runner up in this category is Brian Boitano with 9(?)

Custom Title

Re: Numbers!

Originally posted by Germanice

BTW, correct me if I'm wrong: If I remember it right, Kwan got so far eight 6.0s at major events .... :D

Anke
    You are quite close for Kwan's 6.0 in International competetions. However who else the LADY skater got more than Kwan? You don't need nipping her in every your posts. Besides male to male, pair to pair, dance to dance, lady to lady, if there is a need to mention Kwan as a comparision in your post why compare apple with pear.

Sorry to bust the bubble, but I like beautiful skating from anywhere by anyone whether or not the judges for any given competition thinks that this performance was PERFECT

Joe

Reality bites!

Originally posted by mzheng
    You are quite close for Kwan's 6.0 in International competetions. However who else the LADY skater got more than Kwan? You don't need nipping her in every your posts. Besides male to male, pair to pair, dance to dance, lady to lady, if there is a need to mention Kwan as a comparision in your post why compare apple with pear.
    Sorry, but as long numerous worshipping us Kwan-fans are allowed to consider her "... the best and/or the greatest skater (NOT Lady skater!) EVER ..." on and on it must be allowed to me to set exactly the same measure and compare her with every other skater ("Is she really that great?"), NOT only with other Lady skaters.

But if you prefer: According to another poster here and a link mentioned above Midori Ito got ten 6.0s - only at Worlds!

Anke
    Last edited by Germanice; 08-16-2003 at 03:43 AM.

Rinkside
    Well, Anke, as we all here know, you just hate Kwan, but worship Yagudin, so it doesn`t make sense to discuss anything related to Michelle with you.
    But it is alright to count her perfect scores at Nationals, because you should count that competition just like Europeans. The standard is very similar and if you compare the number of skaters in most categories...well, I guess you`ve got it. And I don`t think you insist that Russian Nationals should count as well...as far as I recall Yags never really skated well there and at least once was even lucky to make the team at all. Btw, I`m European and not too crazy about Michelle myself!

Custom Title

Re: Reality bites!

Originally posted by Germanice
    Sorry, but as long numerous worshipping us Kwan-fans are allowed to consider her "... the best and/or the greatest skater (NOT Lady skater!) EVER ..." on and on it must be allowed to me to set exactly the same measure and compare her with every other skater ("Is she really that great?"), NOT only with other Lady skaters.

But if you prefer: According to another poster here and a link mentioned above Midori Ito got ten 6.0s - only at Worlds!

Anke
    Anke, I am sure some Kwan fans think she is the best ever, but they are not posting here at GS. If you want to give a rebuttal go to those boards and fight.

I think most posters here are fans of skating and some skaters. Go ahead and do a search at GS, and see if you can find anyone who has made such a claim. At least in this thread, no one is making such a claim.

Last edited by rtureck; 09-14-2003 at 10:42 PM.

Easy on the accusations.

6.0s are given for a skater who happens to be better in the eyes of the judge THAT Night. The judge in question had already given a previous skater at 5.9. The 6.0 then is not for perfection but for scoring purposes.

Joe

In the void
    Joe - I think it's half of the truth. Yes, judging as it has been until now is relative and basically just means 6.0 is 0.1 more than 5.9 the same as 5.4 is 0.1 more than 5.3 and that's all that matters for the results.

But anyhow - at the competitions I watched, the judges reserved not only the sixes for one (perhaps last) performing skater. They nearly always reserved a top score like two times 5.9 PLUS the sixes if (!) there was still coming a top skater. And after that critical performance they still had the choice to score those 5.9s OR 6.0s. And it really seems to me the 6.0 was only chosen if that judge thought it was "perfect" (whatever that term might mean).

But if anyone would want to compare numbers of 6.0s in a career it really matters which competitions you include. At major international competitions 6.0s are much more rare than in small internationals and national competitions - at least that seems to be the case imho. (btw - T&D's record of 155 include nationals and one Richmond competition)

Well, I'm not gonna comment any personal remarks in my direction here, I'm already used to that :D. If I understood it right, this thread is about "most 6.0s at international competitions", and I only delievered some FACTS. Some may like them, others not!

Anke
    Last edited by Germanice; 08-16-2003 at 02:08 PM.

Rooting for the Kerrs!
    Originally posted by Skating is fun
    But it is alright to count her perfect scores at Nationals, because you should count that competition just like Europeans. The standard is very similar and if you compare the number of skaters in most categories...well, I guess you`ve got it.
    Um... I don't agree! The standard at US Nationals is the same as Europeans? Not sure about that. Are you talking about ladies only? Yes, the US ladies field is very good (as I've read many times), if somewhat inconsistent? But there are a lot of very talented ladies at Europeans too, many of which could make the top 10 at Worlds if they could improve consistency. I don't believe that the 5-10 ranked US ladies could be at the same/slightly higher level as the 5-10 ranked ladies at Europeans. And if you mean in the other 3 disciplines too - no way.

NOT a bash, I just don't agree with this statement.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast