Yuri Larionov Banned for Two Years | Golden Skate

Yuri Larionov Banned for Two Years

sillylionlove

Medalist
Wow that's a shame. They really were a promising team. I saw them at Skate America. I wonder what Vera is going to do? She is only 14 years old.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Vera turned 15 in January. If the RFSF finds her a younger partner, she could do another year in the JGP to get up to speed with the new partner.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
I really think that if the ISU is going to make this sort of thing available on the internet for anyone to find, they should NOT be putting the skater's home address on it.....

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I really think that if the ISU is going to make this sort of thing available on the internet for anyone to find, they should NOT be putting the skater's home address on it.....
ITA. But I guess internationally privacy doesn't matter quite that much.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Wasn't 2 years the suspension they gave Ina & Zimmerman? Two years seems to be the typical penalty these days.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Kyoko Ina was originally banned 4 years because she was said to have refused a drug test. She appealed and the ban was reduced to 2 years.

The length of the ban depends on the transgression, and any extenuating circumstances may permit the ban to be reduced.

Several years ago, Elena Berenzhnaya was banned for testing positive for a substance in a cold medicine she had been prescribed. She had taken the medicine after asking the team doctor, who said it was OK, but it turned out the drug was on the IOC banned list. Because she had followed the rules, she was given only a one-year ban.

There were no extenuating circumstances in Yuri Larionov's case.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Several years ago, Elena Berenzhnaya was banned for testing positive for a substance in a cold medicine she had been prescribed. She had taken the medicine after asking the team doctor, who said it was OK, but it turned out the drug was on the IOC banned list. Because she had followed the rules, she was given only a one-year ban.

IIRC, it wasn't even a year. I think she got dinged for it at Euros, sat out the Worlds, and she & Anton were back for the GP the next season; that would have been what, 8 months??

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
IIRC, it wasn't even a year. I think she got dinged for it at Euros, sat out the Worlds, and she & Anton were back for the GP the next season; that would have been what, 8 months??
Actually, the official suspension was for 3 months. But it really was different. An athlete must ask their team physician before taking any medicine. Elena did that, so punishing her was really cruel, hence a light sentence. Larionov, even if we accept that he did not want to take any banned substance, did not follow the rules by asking the physician for a prescription.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Well, I don't think Elena should have been suspended at all. She did everything she was suposed to and was then punished for someone else's mistake.

Personally, I feel that in the attempt to fight against doping, some of the measures taken are unfair and in certain cases downright cruel. For instance, last month a cyclist was forced to submit to a test as he was preparing for his child's funeral (http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/cycling/news/story?id=3296288). While a two-year suspension against an athlete who made a procedural error but had no intention of taking a banned substance is not on that level, it is still ridiculous and excessive. And it may have just ended the guy's career. I have to wonder if some of the anti-doping measures are becoming more damaging than the actual doping.

Mafke

Medalist
Personally, I feel that in the attempt to fight against doping, some of the measures taken are unfair and in certain cases downright cruel. For instance, last month a cyclist was forced to submit to a test as he was preparing for his child's funeral
While a two-year suspension against an athlete who made a procedural error but had no intention of taking a banned substance is not on that level, it is still ridiculous and excessive. And it may have just ended the guy's career. I have to wonder if some of the anti-doping measures are becoming more damaging than the actual doping.

ITA. For me, the last straw was the Sydney gymnastics case which brought me off the fence and into the camp that despises these petty little dictators who think they have the right to micromanage other peoples' bodies.
And for all their dictatorial powers they haven't cleaned up the image of sport one iota and never will. It's just a new racket.

Kyoko Ina was originally banned 4 years because she was said to have refused a drug test. She appealed and the ban was reduced to 2 years.

The length of the ban depends on the transgression, and any extenuating circumstances may permit the ban to be reduced.

There were no extenuating circumstances in Yuri Larionov's case.
Presume it's whimsical. A caught cheating judge does not get banned.

Joe

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
Speaking of banned-- have the bans for Marie France Legougne and Didier Gailhauget been lifted?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Gailhuguet has resumed being the head of the French fed. Let the games begin.

I don't know if Legougne's status has changed.