Greatest Lady Skater Of All Time | Golden Skate

Greatest Lady Skater Of All Time

Who is the greatest lady figure skater (singles) of all time and why?

• PEGGY FLEMING

Votes: 6 2.8%
  • DOROTHY HAMILL

Votes: 8 3.7%
  • JANET LYNN

Votes: 12 5.6%
  • MICHELLE KWAN

Votes: 113 52.8%
  • KATARINA WITT

Votes: 19 8.9%
  • TARA LIPINSKI

Votes: 5 2.3%
  • OKSANA BAIUL

Votes: 11 5.1%
  • SARAH HUGHES

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • IRINA SLUTSKAYA

Votes: 8 3.7%
  • OTHER

Votes: 28 13.1%

• Total voters

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
I know it's like comparing apples and oranges. If you had to pick just one... the one who made the most impact on you, who would it be? Why? Technical superiority? Artistry?

My own personal vote goes to Janet Lynn, who, in my opinion, was the most amazing artist I've ever seen. If I could cast a second vote, it would be for the Oksana who won gold in '94.

I just realized that I should have added Kristi Yamaguchi to that list, but it's too late now!

Last edited:

mpal2

Final Flight
That's a great list of names anyway.

I had to go with Michelle because I can't think of any skaters that have had as many "skate of a lifetime" moments. You could argue for days about what her best performance/program is and still change your mind 5 seconds later.

Rachael

On the Ice
Being that I always have to be different, I voted for other. I had to go with Carol Heiss. 4 time US champion plus 5 time World Champion. One of the few skaters to have more the one Olympic medal.

Rachael = If you are going with Carol then I am going with Tenley. Now there was a heated rivalry. Carol's technical v. Tenley's artistry. How can one decide?

Joe

ouridol

On the Ice
I would have to say either Michelle, Oksana, or Katarina. I can't decide!! Oh and Irina as well. I chose Katarina though.

Rebecca

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
I probably should have added Sonja Henie to that list as well! Oh, well. The maximum options for a poll is 10.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Sonja Henie, definitely. She truly did wonders for the sports of FS.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I voted for Janet

but if Kristi had been on there she'd have been my pick... how many years out of olympic competition and she's still got her jumps?

Antilles

Medalist
I voted for Katarina. All those medals, plus people outside of the skating world liked her and got to know her (before Playboy :) ). She also is still a well known name 15 years after she turned pro. It's hard to say about Michelle, because she's not done yet.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
If you go by staying power, medals and events won, longevity in the sport, you'd have to go with either Kat or Michelle. My personal fav, however, of the ladies listed would be Janet.....42

LilyBerg

Rinkside
Personally my favourite is Irina. In a weird way I just love her, I’ve seen her grow up from a little girl to a young lady. So that plays in on my decision.

/Lily