Greatest Lady Skater Of All Time | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Greatest Lady Skater Of All Time

Who is the greatest lady figure skater (singles) of all time and why?

• PEGGY FLEMING

Votes: 6 2.8%
  • DOROTHY HAMILL

Votes: 8 3.7%
  • JANET LYNN

Votes: 12 5.6%
  • MICHELLE KWAN

Votes: 113 52.8%
  • KATARINA WITT

Votes: 19 8.9%
  • TARA LIPINSKI

Votes: 5 2.3%
  • OKSANA BAIUL

Votes: 11 5.1%
  • SARAH HUGHES

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • IRINA SLUTSKAYA

Votes: 8 3.7%
  • OTHER

Votes: 28 13.1%

• Total voters

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Now don't get mad but I find that you are mixing apples with oranges due to have Olympic medalists mixed with non Olympic medalists, so I voted for Peggy.

Dee

amykaren

On the Ice
Michelle Kwan!!! I've heard alot of great things about Janet Lynn, but it is so hard to judge skaters that were before my time. So, based on my knowledge, Michelle Kwan wins hands down!

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I voted for "other" (Sonia Henie), because the greatest lady skater of all time has to have won the Olympics AT LEAST once.

Marjaana

Sadie

On the Ice
I think Michelle is the most reliable. She has been a steady competitor for years now. YOu can count on her to not make the mistakes others make.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Olympic games. It's a wonderful pageant. Flags waving, bands playing, fireworks going off -- there is even some figure skating!

But one thing for sure -- if you win an Olympic gold medal, you will have won an Olympic gold medal. Ta da!

Your pal, Mathman:p

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Jaana said:
I voted for "other" (Sonia Henie), because the greatest lady skater of all time has to have won the Olympics AT LEAST once.

Marjaana

Hate to be snarky, but the Olympic Gold medal certainly hasn't made Oksana Baiul's or Tara Lipinski's figure skating career that..."influential". Well they are used as examples of what not to do now, so that is influential...but not in a good way.

One could also argue that Kurt Browning is more influential than most of the men out there, even though he never even won an Olympic medal...but I guess according to some people the Olympic silver and Bronze medal is the same as not winning a medal at all.

Dustin

Custom Title
Rinkside
...Sonja Henie by far. No skater has given anything near as much as she has to the sport, she changed the world's perception of figure skating in ways no other skater has - along with winning 3 Olympic Golds and 10 World Titles.

Germanice

On the Ice
VIETgrlTerifa said:
Hate to be snarky, but the Olympic Gold medal certainly hasn't made Oksana Baiul's or Tara Lipinski's figure skating career that..."influential". Well they are used as examples of what not to do now, so that is influential...but not in a good way.
One could also argue that Kurt Browning is more influential than most of the men out there, even though he never even won an Olympic medal...but I guess according to some people the Olympic silver and Bronze medal is the same as not winning a medal at all.
Completely censored! I guess it's better this way, it could've been
blasphemy! :D :laugh: Where's my courage gone? :(

Anke

Last edited:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
VIETgrlTerifa said:

Well, I was not suggesting that Tara or Oksana are the greatest lady skaters of all time. Sonia Henie is the name I gave. She won THREE Olympic gold medals and TEN World gold medals.

What I mean is, that the greatest lady skater of all time has to have gotten a gold medal in EVERY competition (Worlds and Olympics), in my opinion. Besides Henie won her gold medals, three in the Olympics and ten in the Worlds, in a row. She did not lose a competition during that time to anyone.

Marjaana

Last edited:
Germanice said:
Completely censored! I guess it's better this way, it could've been blasphemy! Where's my courage gone? -- Anke
Who are you, and what have you done with our Anke?:laugh:

Mathman

PS. It is impossible to argue against Sonja Henie's claim as the most influential person in the history of the sport.

mzheng

Record Breaker
Mathman said:

PS. It is impossible to argue against Sonja Henie's claim as the most influential person in the history of the sport.

Really? I guess in 20 years, or even now, no young girl skater say 'I just want to skate like HER'. :laugh:

Germanice

On the Ice
Mathman said:
Who are you, and what have you done with our Anke?:laugh:

Mathman
It doesn't matter who I am, just call me "Michelle's revenge", OK? All I can say now: The infamous GI is doomed!!! I've bound her in her armchair in front of her TV. Since I took all my tapes with me I condemned her to watch all of Michelle's glorious performances from 1994 until now for the next few days. Believe me, and after chiseling: "Michelle is Goddess and the greatest skater of all times, always and forever!" at least 1000 times in the walls of Rome's St. Peter, she'll turn into a nice, clean and political correct little poster, always rooting for the right one's. And be assured: Of course I already took care for the fact she won't worship that eville, naughty Russian (ya know, the one who's always drunk!) anymore! I've made her watch his "One Banana" program for about 100 times, hehe! :D

PS: Please let me know how to change her avatar (Michelle in a "Statue-of-Liberty" pose!!!) and costum title! Do you think "Michelle Kwan's one and only fan in Europe!!!" will do it? :laugh:

Last edited:
Dear Michelle's One and Only Fan in Europe (MOOFE):

MOOFE, MOOFE! Is that you? Don't you remember me? It was the spring of 1996. I was scouring Europe searching (alas, in vain) for Michelle fans, when one day, lost in the mist on the heather somewhere in the Scottish highlands, I chanced upon a charming old-fashioned little village. Imagine my surprise when I was told that this village (Brigadoon) appeared only once every 200 years, on the anniversary of the ice skating injury to Saint Lydwina, Patron Saint of Figure Skating (buy her medallion for $175 U.S. at

http://www.rainbosportsshop.com/figuregifts1.htm

scroll down, third from the bottom on the left).

The curse could be broken, and Brigadoon would become a normal town existing in real time, only if they found the True Incarnation of Saint Lydwina. The True Incarnation would be recognized by being the most adored and worshiped skater in the world.

Of course I told them about Alexei.

But one young woman, radiant in her beauty and wisdom, cried out, "No, it’s Michelle! It’s Michelle."

Oh, since we were in Europe, this solitary voice was drowned out by the tumultuous chorus, "Alexei! Alexei! Alexei!"

The village instantly disappeared, leaving me alone with the lovely MOOFE.

We have since gone our separate ways, but how wonderful to hear that you are still doing your best to convert the world to Kwandom.

I remain

still your heart’s slave,

Mathman

PS. But if you have even the least drop (or "drap" in Scottish) of mercy in your soul, at least let Germanice loose long enough for her to vote on the "most boring skater" poll. It would be cruel and unusual punishment to deny her that!

Germanice

On the Ice
Sorry, Mathman, I know this is gonna be a huge heartbreak for you - I'm NOT Moofe! But I've met her in Glasgow lately, where she's just received her weekly welfare for her and her five kids (yours?). I've to say she looked quite grey and depressed. You see, being that much heroic isn't always a smart moofe. :( Don't get me wrong, the ignorant behavour of those dump people in Brigadoon against our magnificant and unique Michelle deserved the most severe punishment, but I wonder if disappearing for another 200 years is the right one. I mean, who wants to be a "normal" little Scottish village in dangerous and mundane days like this?

But back to GI now. What can I say, she's lost, totally lost! There's nothing I can do. Remember? I've tried to convert her with boatloads of tapes of our great and precious Michelle. But when I removed the gag from her mouth the last time she was in sheer agony, almost begging me on her knees to play "One Banana" again. So now, she's still a slave of that Russian boozer! I guess it's not her fault, she never had a real choice after all. You know, in many ways she's just a typical example of a stupid, stubborn, barbarian and ignorant European skating fan. They'll never learn: Instead of gushing over our glorious and gorgeous Michelle we graciously brought to them they just prefer flesh & blood on ice and certain plastic dolls in pink boxes only. :( So what did I expect?

What shall I do now? Execute her? Let her go? But no way, knowing her she'll participate in that disgusting "Boring skaters" poll right after that! But then, so what, I've just noticed the recent results, it doesn't matter anyway. :(
Oh my, I give up! Michelle impossible!

BUT SAVE MOOFE AT LEAST!!!

Last edited: