View Poll Results: Who is the greatest lady figure skater (singles) of all time and why?

Voters
221. You may not vote on this poll
  • PEGGY FLEMING

6 2.71%
  • DOROTHY HAMILL

8 3.62%
  • JANET LYNN

12 5.43%
  • MICHELLE KWAN

117 52.94%
  • KATARINA WITT

20 9.05%
  • TARA LIPINSKI

5 2.26%
  • OKSANA BAIUL

12 5.43%
  • SARAH HUGHES

4 1.81%
  • IRINA SLUTSKAYA

9 4.07%
  • OTHER

28 12.67%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Greatest Lady Skater Of All Time

Whatever was I thinking of, Berthe's Ghost! That shows the folly of me trying to post when I am grousing about the likelihood that my local TV station was going to pre-empt the Cup of China coverage for an infomercial about investing in mutual funds, as they did for both Skate American and Skate Canada. After I shot off my blistering rant to the local ABC affiliate I still had enough spleen left over to spew it out on Sonja Hening and Ulrich Salchow, the two most outstanding competitors in the history of the sport. Talk about [color=red]*[/color][color=red]*[/color][color=red]*[/color][color=red]*[/color][color=red]*[/color][color=red]*[/color][color=red]*[/color][color=red]*[/color]!

Mathman

Custom Title

Thumbs up Greatest Ladies Skater of all time

I have three skaters that I think are great and maybe the greatest of all times.

Peggy Fleming
    Janet Lynn
    Michelle Kwan

Peggy, Janet and Michelle are wonderful skaters each with great artistic style, grace and beauty. These great ladies have brought dignity and a great sense of sportsmanship to figure skating and I am proud to be a fan.

diamond

Argentinian wonder ;)
    Sonja Heine

Mrs. Roman Kostomarov icedancingnut31's Avatar
    Sonia definately

Banned

best skater

I think Lucinda Ruh and Dianne Biellmann should be on the list.

How could you forget Kristy? Dick Button must know, he's seen them all.

Rinkside

the greatest

Michelle.

She has it all: technical prowess and presentation/artistic ability. Her longevity/success in the sport, in times of HEAVY competition (unlike Henie's time) is unmatched.

And she moves me like no other skater.

Keeper of Michelle's Nose berthes ghost's Avatar
    Her longevity/success in the sport, in times of HEAVY competition (unlike Henie's time) is unmatched.
    Does this strong statement have any thought behind it, or is it just one of those things people "feel" without any real proof?

IMHO, Henie had pelenty of competiton: from Austria, from US, from England and from Sweden. I wouldn't be so foolish as to assume that the other gals were sloutches just because Henie was able to beat them more often than not.

Yes, Henie was "special", but as you yourself said, so is MK. I wouldn't call Tara, Maria, Sarah, or Irina people who changed how we look at the sport or incredible artists who started a new style. IMHO, non of them are "legends", so your point of "HEAVY competiton" is lost on me.

Rinkside

first post ever

I had no intention of ever posting, just wanted to lurk, but I love polls!
    My favorite skater was always Janet Lynn, until Michelle. She can move me to tears because her skating,imho,is like watching an artist paint something beautiful. So I vote Michelle Kwan!

Banned
    Sonja Henie for the first Part of the century, Kristy Y for the later part.

Hi Skatefan46. I'm glad you decided to post. Now that you have taken the plunge, I'll be looking for you on the Edge.

Bijoux, as much as I like Michelle I can't fault anyone who likes Kristi for this honor. Do you have an opinion on why Kristi is so often left out, with all the kudos going to Peggy Fleming, Janet Lynn and Dorothy Hamill?

Maybe it will be Jenny Kirk for the first half of the twenty-first!

Mathman

PS. But I still like Michelle the best.

Hey Skatefan46, a kindred spirit.........my sentiments exactly....hope you continue to post......... 42

Ice Angel
    Besides Michelle Kwan, it should be Dorothy Hamill. Michelle keeps her eligible career for so many years while Dorothy Hamill keeps her professional career even longer. How many lady or man skaters have skated progessionally over 25 years? Only Dorothy has done. Over the years her spins, jumps, and edge flow are kept as same as her competing time.

On the Ice
    Hmmm...I wish you had Kristi Yamaguchi up there. I think she's the greatest...Maybe just because she's my favorite, but whatever.

Custom Title
    I agree, Kristi should definitely be considered. She had that "fire breathing dragon" quality of attack (just as I think Michelle does). She was so sublime during her amateur career (especially at the 91 Worlds and 92 Nationals), and her professional career was even more impressive because she sustained the same level of excellence in all aspects (and even made some improvements!).
    Last edited by BronzeisGolden; 03-29-2004 at 10:52 PM.

On the Ice
    I voted for Oksana. But for me, it is a really close choice between Oksana, Katarina Witt and Kristi Yamaguchi. There's just something about Oksana's skating that I've always loved. Even when her skating wasn't at its best, she still had something special.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast