Favorite Ladies Olympic Bronze Performance | Golden Skate

Favorite Ladies Olympic Bronze Performance

Which Olympic Bronze Medal Performance Was the Most Memorable For You?

• 2002 - Michelle Kwan

Votes: 5 10.2%
  • 1998 - Chen Lu

Votes: 42 85.7%
  • 1994 - Chen Lu

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1992 - Nancy Kerrigan

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • 1988 - Debi Thomas

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
Okay, everyone seemed to be interested in the Silver Medal thread, let's go with Bronze. Which Olympic Bronze Medal performance was the most memorable for you and why?

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
This is a fairly easy one:

1. Chen Lu, 1998 - Chen Lu was one of my favorite ladies of the 90s (and ever) and she became a legend with her "Rach" from the 1996 Worlds. Everyone had counted her out for Nagano (even I was worried), but she pulled it together and left the amateur world with a set of beautifully performed programs at one final Olympic competition. It was wonderful to see, especially after such a disasterous pre-Olympic year, and I'll always remember the emotions she displayed as she left the ice.

2/3 - Kwan (02) and Thomas (88) - I really thought that both would challenge for Gold. Michelle's performance wasn't the worst in her career, but it lacked spark and was flawed. Poor Debi just couldn't seem to focus and there were so many mistakes. Both were surprising and memorable for that fact that I didn't expect either woman to be on the bottom step of the podium. Michelle and Debi were and are special skaters and it was difficult to see them both experience such disappointment on the Olympic stage.

4. Chen Lu (94) - This was never my favorite program for Chen Lu, the music just seemed too heavy for her, but she made the most of it and skated brilliantly. I thought her "Claire De Lune" (even with the mistake) was a classic...so light and beautiful. She managed to rise above the Nancy-Tonya-Oksana fray and make a little history for her country and herself...China's first Olympic figure skating medal. Also, lol, I can't help but remember her standing with Kerrigan before the medal ceremony. Nancy was making those now infamous comments about Oksana, and poor Chen just smiled politely and look terrified! (I can only imagine she was thinking..."Thank Goodness I didn't beat her.")

5. Nancy Kerrigan (92) - I always enjoyed this program, but her Olympic performance was flawed and not as strong as her 92 Nationals or 91 Worlds showings. Nancy once again benefited from others mistakes. It's wonderful to know that Albertville wasn't her defining performance....she was a different, far more superior skater in Lillehammer.

dewet

Final Flight
Chen Lu 1998! It was a great step up for her from the last year.

Last edited:

ouridol

On the Ice
Definantely Lu Chen's in 98. I was watching her back in China for a family reunion and my whole family was going crazy. The program was speechless. I need it on tape!!

Second would be Michelle's. Not for the actual performance but the way she handled herself with such class, grace, and just WOW!! The emotions itself was strong enough to make the performance wonderful. I loved how she skated without any pressure and just put it all out there even if it was perfect. And who could forget how she "never gave up".

Rebecca

qoo

Rinkside
LULU'S 98 program! It was the most touching program I've seen in my life.

Last edited:

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Lu Chen in 1998 Nagano without a doubt! One of the highlights of any Olympics IMO.

Michelle in SLC would be second for me. To me, she started off stiff and slow, but after the fall on the flip, she just let go and performed the rest of the program with emotion. A lesser skater would have just gaven up and make more errors, but not Michelle. Her attitude after the performance on the ice and in the Kiss n' cry showed her true character.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Lu Chen in 1998 all the way. Where some would think winning a bronze medal at the Olympics is the "ultimate" let-down, Lu Chen showed the true meaning of sportsmanship and humility. Who can forget her "tears of joy" when she realized that her come-back performance won her yet another Oly medal........what a wonderful memory for skating fans............42

Chele615

Rinkside
I love watching people's reactions to things!!! That is why I picked Chen Lu's 1998 performance. She was so excited and so happy for herself so you couldn't help but cheer for her as well!