Ideas for Mclaughlin and Brubaker | Golden Skate

Ideas for Mclaughlin and Brubaker

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
So we did Davis/White, Belbin/Agosto and Virtue/Moir.

what about our national champions who will compete thier first full year as senior skaters next season and (hopefully) make the world team which is right here in LA.

Rockne expressed an intrest in spanish music... I could definitely see that. She wants Swan Lake, which IMO is very underused for pair teams and would make a lovely SP. Of course we want to save somthing for the olympics.

I think that Concerto de Aranjez would make a great LP. Not the version that Michelle used, but the much more passionate, sensual, classical version.

It would also be nice to showcase their speed, something they certainly have. Not many pair teams can get away with skating to fast music and make it look good, but I think Keauna and Rockne could. Perhaps West Side Story? Or did somebody already suggest that?

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Keauna and Rockne seem like really good people and they are definitely talented, but I find myself wishing that Brubaker had body line and style of presentation similar to the Russian pairs' skaters. Smirnov and Trankov have a gymnast's body and present with a more classical, balletic style whereas I see Brubaker and think wrestler due to his stocky physique and rushed style. The Russians present a much more pleasing body line, IMO, and I prefer them over the Americans. I hope to see Brubaker soften his presentation style. They're still young and have plenty of time to improve. I wish them luck!

Variety is the spice of life though and not all body types and styles are the same. The Russian body line and style is just my personal preference. :)

As for their particular style, I think "Carmina Burana" would work well for McLaughlin/Brubaker.

Last edited:

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
You're right--I like the bravura music for them.

Some of you old timers may remember the Cuban commposer Lecuono's "The Breeze and I". I do not know the real spanish title. I heard it like in a classical version years ago. It has some real lyrical passages as well as some Spanish zapateados. That could work if they really want spanish music.

I have seen many bodies not ideal for dancing but if one knows how to dance superbly, then a not built for dancing body does not matter. You go Rocky!!

btw. His brother who competes in Skate Dance does have the body some people will prefer. Just a tid bit of trivia.

Joe

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
How about Leyenda by Albeniz? I remember Z&Z doing a nice (but still underwhelming) job with it a couple of seasons ago, and can definitely see M&B skating to it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XY_DVDGYwLU

Very good idea! I heard this music, but never knew the name, so thanks for that!

I also like Paint it Black..although I am positive that somebody has skated to this recently other than Fumie... can't remember who though, and it certainly doesn't make this music over used.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080424&content_id=47913&vkey=ice_news
Several weeks ago, [Lea Ann] Miller traveled to Colorado Springs to choreograph the couple's short program to a modern version of "Malaguena." During their time in Connecticut, she created their long to selections from West Side Story, music that has been used by dance and pair teams including France's Isabelle and Paul Duchesnay; Tanith Belbin and Ben Agosto; and Miller and Fauver themselves, back in the early 1980's.

"We have [our programs] all laid out, with the transitions, and we're going to come back to Lea Ann and add the second layer to them later on," Brubaker said.

"We're doing basically the same elements as last year, plus we're adding another set of side-by-side triples -- the toes -- to the Salchows we [already] have. It's going to be hard, but after we train the program all summer, people are really going to see a difference."

Although the couple is playing the parts of the star-crossed young lovers Maria and Tony, they said they were taking a unique approach.

"Our program is a lot of fun; we're skating to 'Maria,' 'Tonight,' and the 'Gym Mambo,'" McLaughlin said.

"We're trying to use pieces people have rarely used before to tell a different side of the story, not the rumble and the dying. Most people have used 'Somewhere' and maybe 'America.' It's so energetic and youthful; we're telling the story of young love."

LeeAnn Miller broke the hold of Russian dominance in Pairs, and S/Z would have won the 2006 Olys except for an injury. A very solid team.

Miller is good and they should listen to her. Whatever she wants them to use, so be it. West Side Story has some Spanish music in it. (America is more Spanish than PuertoRican).

When you think about this team will they become one of the elites along side of :

Savchenko/Szolkowy
Zhang/Zhang
Dube/Davison
Kawaguchi/Smirnov
Pang/Tong

Pairs, imo, are HOT for Cleveland.

Joe