What college did/do you attend? Major? | Golden Skate

What college did/do you attend? Major?

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
First, I got a BA from Massachusetts College of Art -- Art History major, fashion design minor.

Than, I got an Undergraduate Certificate in Computer Science from Boston University.

Lucy25

Final Flight
Michigan State University - English major
Madonna University - teacher certification & history minor
Madonna University - Masters in Teaching and Learning (just finished! :))

aly*cutie

On the Ice
I don't go to clollege yet, but I either want to go to the Art Institute of Pittsburgh or Penn State University.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
I have a B.A. in Theater Arts & English from Wesleyan University in CT, and Bachelor of Music and Master of Music degrees in Vocal Performance from CSUN (California State University, Northridge).

Now I actually make a REAL living selling real estate!
:laugh:

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I attended Camosun College in Victoria, BC - Office Administration program - no major! I work for Kwantlen University College in Surrey, BC. - just an ordinary "working stiff."

Hi SkatePixie.

When you say you haven't made up your mind on school, I hope you mean that you haven't decided yet which college to attend. After all, as Sasha says (in your signature quote): "Shoot for the stars. Even if you miss, you will land among the stars."

Did you know that this quote, usually attributed to motivational speaker Les Brown, was actually coined many years ago by jazz singer Ella Fitzgerald? There was an even earlier version that went, "Reach for the sky, but if you miss, fear not, for you will still be among the stars." I don't know who was the true originator of the quote, but it's a good one.

Mathman

Norlite

On the Ice
I had always heard that quote as "Shoot for the moon, even if you miss, you'll land among the stars"

I just did a search on it, and it is attributed to Les Brown. :laugh:

I meant "moon." That was a typo, LOL. I did that search, too. It wasn't clear whether it was Les Brown the motivational speaker or Les Brown the big band leader (who might have gotten it from Ella Fitzgerald? Or from Sasha Cohen; that part wasn't made clear in my search.):)

Actually, this quote always seemed backward to me. The stars are higher than the moon. So it seems like you should shoot for the stars, then if you fell short you still might land on the moon.:)

Mathman

Last edited:

RoaringMice

On the Ice
I got my BA in studio art from the University of Massachusetts at Amherst, worth every $$$. I got my MBA from Fordham University in NY, paid for by my employer!

I am currently an adjunct professor in computer science and applications at SUNY Purchase and at the Westchester Business Institute, part time evenings. I work full time in marketing.

I've taken continuing education courses at MassArt, the School of the Museum of Fine Arts (Boston), the Fashion Insitutute, and right now in violin at the Mannes College of Music in NY. I am busy, but I love learning new things.

skatepixie

On the Ice
I partly mean I dont know which school. But there is a part of me that doesnt want to go. Its a small part though.

gezando

Final Flight
skatepixie said:
But there is a part of me that doesnt want to go.

You are only 15, you have time to ponder about your future , maybe you will be Karen Kwan's coaching assistant, or even Michelle Kwan's assistant :D ;)

BTW, pixie, never say never, the college gods, and skating gods work in mysterious ways.

Last edited:

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Actually, I think there is nothing wrong with a move among many college age kids to work for a year or two after high school and then go on to college. As I said in my previous post, my first degree came from MassArt -- that's a school where only those who really want to learn go. At BU, I mainly took evening course -- same as MassArt, that's for people who really know what they want. However, when I took a couple of day classes at BU I was positively shocked -- many of those kids only went to college because their parents told them to either go there or get a job! They could see no connection between what they were doing and their futures, and only tried to get by enough to stay there. That, I think is not a good attitude for higher education.

Lynn226

On the Ice
I graduated from Marshall University in Huntington, WV with two degrees. My B.A. is in International Relations and my M.A. is in Political Science. If I had it to do over, then I'm certain that I would change my major.

Edited for mistakes.