Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: What college did/do you attend? Major?

I'm from Spokane! I went to Shadle Park High School. Go Highlanders!

Mathman

Skating Soprano
    I partly mean I dont know which school. But there is a part of me that doesnt want to go. Its a small part though.

Custom Title
    Originally posted by skatepixie
    But there is a part of me that doesnt want to go.
    You are only 15, you have time to ponder about your future , maybe you will be Karen Kwan's coaching assistant, or even Michelle Kwan's assistant :D

BTW, pixie, never say never, the college gods, and skating gods work in mysterious ways.
    Last edited by gezando; 08-20-2003 at 09:26 AM.

Actually, I think there is nothing wrong with a move among many college age kids to work for a year or two after high school and then go on to college. As I said in my previous post, my first degree came from MassArt -- that's a school where only those who really want to learn go. At BU, I mainly took evening course -- same as MassArt, that's for people who really know what they want. However, when I took a couple of day classes at BU I was positively shocked -- many of those kids only went to college because their parents told them to either go there or get a job! They could see no connection between what they were doing and their futures, and only tried to get by enough to stay there. That, I think is not a good attitude for higher education.

Custom Title
    I graduated from Marshall University in Huntington, WV with two degrees. My B.A. is in International Relations and my M.A. is in Political Science. If I had it to do over, then I'm certain that I would change my major.

Edited for mistakes.

Rogue Leader
    Wilfrid Laurier University, Waterloo, Ontario. BA in psychology.

Skating Soprano
    thing is, my desire to learn isnt there. I only want to go because of money and because thats what you are supposted to do.

To Lynn226

Lynn, why would you change your major if you had to do it all over again? Just curious. Is your current job related to your degrees?

Custom Title
    At first, my degrees did not seem to be of much use. I was planning to go to law school and then decided against it. I was accepted to a doctoral program, but I could not afford it at the time. Now, they are proving useful in helping me to get promotions. I work for Uncle Sam. The pay isn't great, but the benefits package is excellent and I've started to reap some rewards after several years of service.

When I was a college student, there was a school on my campus for autistic children. I used to go by there quite often. I frequently considered changing my major to psychology, so that I could work with them.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    I went to University of Vermont (UVM). I had a double major in Latin and Physics, MS in Solid State Physics. I am probably the only person ever to use a Latin TA to pay for my Physics/math courses. Minors in Ancient Greek and Math.

So what did I do at work mostly? Programming. Go Figure.

dpp

Doris, here is something that I always wanted to know. Is ancient Greek about the same as modern Greek, or is it much different? Would a twenty-first century Greek citizen be able to pick up Plato in the original and read it, or would it be like an English-speaking person trying to read Beowulf?

I am curious about this because when the Rosetta tone was discovered, and one of the languages was Greek, this immediately broke the code of Egypian hieroglyphics. So people must have had no problem with the Greek. Or was it just professional scholars who could read it by that time.

Also, question number two How do we know how Latin (I mean the Latin of Julius Caesar) was pronounced 2000 years ago? It is somewhat different from "Church Latin," which is the only living representative of the language. Was there a time in the past where the two versions split or drifted apart, and if so, how do we know what the old version sounded like?

Very curious about these things.

To SkatePixie: There are a million interesting things to learn about. Maybe you are not curious about Greek and Latin. But what about art, or music, or history, or literature, or psychology, or chemistry, or astronomy? Plan for college. You will find things there that you never dreamed of (Horatio)!

OK, I'm off my soapbox now.

Mathman

I think for the first couple of years you can just take general courses and then eventually maybe you will think of what you love to do. They say find out what you really like to do and try to think of ways to make money doing it.

Skating Soprano
    Thing is, I know what I want to do.If I just want to learn on the side, I dont need to live in a dorm, take tests, take a bunch of general classes, write papers, exc. to enjoy learning. Which is why I most likely wont get a degree...

Skater Girl
    I'm going to go to Moorpark College for a year to get the gen. ed. requirements out of the way and am shooting high for UCLA or UC Berkeley with a major in archaeology or anthropology. Going to minor in classics, probably; or Russian!

I attended Rochester Institute of Technology - earned a BS in Computer Science with a minor in business. If I had to do it over, I should have majored in Business with a concentration in Information Technology. Majoring in CS is more for techie's who want to work for IBM or Microsoft, etc. I'm better at the organizational aspects and have always worked in a business environment (as opposed to R&D).

SKATEPIXIE: You are right - learning is a life long experience and all of it does not occur in a classroom - just don't think that college is an unneccessary evil. Since you haven't said what you want to do, can't offer much advice. I know many people who dropped out of college or never went to college who regret it. Some have even decided to earn their degrees years later when it is much harder to juggle work and family. Also, the best part of college was living with a lot of strangers. You meet all different kinds of people living in the dorms and it isn't just about parties. It's a nice way of transitioning from parents to the real world. It was definitely an experience I do not regret. I realize college isn't for everyone; I have many friends who are successful without degrees, too. Just try to be open minded about it. Also, many employers view a degree as a sign of accomplishment since it usually takes hard work to earn it.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast