What college did/do you attend? Major? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

What college did/do you attend? Major?

skatepixie

On the Ice
thing is, my desire to learn isnt there. I only want to go because of money and because thats what you are supposted to do.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
To Lynn226

Lynn, why would you change your major if you had to do it all over again? Just curious. Is your current job related to your degrees?

Lynn226

On the Ice
At first, my degrees did not seem to be of much use. I was planning to go to law school and then decided against it. I was accepted to a doctoral program, but I could not afford it at the time. Now, they are proving useful in helping me to get promotions. I work for Uncle Sam. The pay isn't great, but the benefits package is excellent and I've started to reap some rewards after several years of service.

When I was a college student, there was a school on my campus for autistic children. I used to go by there quite often. I frequently considered changing my major to psychology, so that I could work with them.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I went to University of Vermont (UVM). I had a double major in Latin and Physics, MS in Solid State Physics. I am probably the only person ever to use a Latin TA to pay for my Physics/math courses. Minors in Ancient Greek and Math.

So what did I do at work mostly? Programming. Go Figure.

dpp

Doris, here is something that I always wanted to know. Is ancient Greek about the same as modern Greek, or is it much different? Would a twenty-first century Greek citizen be able to pick up Plato in the original and read it, or would it be like an English-speaking person trying to read Beowulf?

I am curious about this because when the Rosetta tone was discovered, and one of the languages was Greek, this immediately broke the code of Egypian hieroglyphics. So people must have had no problem with the Greek. Or was it just professional scholars who could read it by that time.

Also, question number two :laugh: How do we know how Latin (I mean the Latin of Julius Caesar) was pronounced 2000 years ago? It is somewhat different from "Church Latin," which is the only living representative of the language. Was there a time in the past where the two versions split or drifted apart, and if so, how do we know what the old version sounded like?

Very curious about these things.

To SkatePixie: There are a million interesting things to learn about. Maybe you are not curious about Greek and Latin. But what about art, or music, or history, or literature, or psychology, or chemistry, or astronomy? Plan for college. You will find things there that you never dreamed of (Horatio)!

OK, I'm off my soapbox now.;)

Mathman

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I think for the first couple of years you can just take general courses and then eventually maybe you will think of what you love to do. They say find out what you really like to do and try to think of ways to make money doing it.

skatepixie

On the Ice
Thing is, I know what I want to do.If I just want to learn on the side, I dont need to live in a dorm, take tests, take a bunch of general classes, write papers, exc. to enjoy learning. Which is why I most likely wont get a degree...

Lanie

On the Ice
I'm going to go to Moorpark College for a year to get the gen. ed. requirements out of the way and am shooting high for UCLA or UC Berkeley with a major in archaeology or anthropology. Going to minor in classics, probably; or Russian! :)

heyang

Record Breaker
I attended Rochester Institute of Technology - earned a BS in Computer Science with a minor in business. If I had to do it over, I should have majored in Business with a concentration in Information Technology. Majoring in CS is more for techie's who want to work for IBM or Microsoft, etc. I'm better at the organizational aspects and have always worked in a business environment (as opposed to R&D).

SKATEPIXIE: You are right - learning is a life long experience and all of it does not occur in a classroom - just don't think that college is an unneccessary evil. Since you haven't said what you want to do, can't offer much advice. I know many people who dropped out of college or never went to college who regret it. Some have even decided to earn their degrees years later when it is much harder to juggle work and family. Also, the best part of college was living with a lot of strangers. You meet all different kinds of people living in the dorms and it isn't just about parties. It's a nice way of transitioning from parents to the real world. It was definitely an experience I do not regret. I realize college isn't for everyone; I have many friends who are successful without degrees, too. Just try to be open minded about it. Also, many employers view a degree as a sign of accomplishment since it usually takes hard work to earn it.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I graduated from California State University in Fresno with a B.A. in English Literature and a California Elementary Teaching Credential.........Skatepixie, upon graduating from High School, you could always go to college part time and work part time. This gets your feet wet for college life without being over-whelming. My youngest son is doing this and it seems to be working for him.......42

heyang

Record Breaker
SkatePixie: Don't mean to harass you. I have no idea what the requirements are for being an FS coach. It probably depends on where you work and your personal background. I would imagine that classes in education and human development would be important in establishing credentials as a 'teacher' and other classes in physical therapy would be helpful, too. Anyway, you should probably ask FS coaches that you know about their backgrounds and follow up with the various skating clubs at all levels as well as local rinks.

NansXOXOX

Final Flight
I have a B.S. in Ed. from Ohio State University with a major in English, a major in Speech and a minor in Theater.

I worked my way through college as a cashier and as a result ended up doing the same thing for higher pay in the Bursar's office at Southern Illinois University. The degree only helped about six years ago when I took the position of Supervisor of Graduate Records exactly one floor above where I had worked for nine years. At this rate, it will take me another twelve years to work my way to the third floor (started off in the basement) to the office of the Director of Financial Aid, just in time for retirement!

Nan

Kara Bear

Final Flight
History nerd speaking

Hey Mike, heres something else we have common. What was the focus of your history courses?

mike79

On the Ice
I focused on modern history. I did a few courses in American history (one about 20th century, and a seminar on the era between the Revolutionary War and the Civil War), and a few European history courses. My favorite course I ever took was a Russian history course.

How about you?

Kara Bear

Final Flight
I took Russian history one year. I loved it probably because my prof was crazy and there was no exam! But the majority of my courses were Canadian, post Confederation. I took seminars in French Canadiian nationalism and Canadian women's history. But my real interest is old newspapers. I love to research how newspapers reflected and influenced the past. I don't know why, but reading old newspapers through microfilm fascinates me. If I ever go back to do my masters, I'd probably have a newspaper angle in there somewhere...and ruin my eyes in the process.

Can I ask you what are you doing today? I'm having a hard time finding a line of work involving my degree.

mike79

On the Ice
Well I'm doing the furthest thing from history. I'm a carpenter, for now at least until I decide when I'm gonna do my B.ED and start teaching history to all the youngins.

What line of work are you interested in? With a history degree you could get into law school if you wanted, or you could teach. You could try to get on at a museum or maybe even something like a Hall of Fame if you were interested in public history.