Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: What college did/do you attend? Major?

Skating Soprano
    Originally posted by skatepixie
    Im going into 10th grade and havent made up my mind on school. I do want to coach fs though.
    That was the first page. so, collage isnt needed...

I graduated from California State University in Fresno with a B.A. in English Literature and a California Elementary Teaching Credential.........Skatepixie, upon graduating from High School, you could always go to college part time and work part time. This gets your feet wet for college life without being over-whelming. My youngest son is doing this and it seems to be working for him.......42

SkatePixie: Don't mean to harass you. I have no idea what the requirements are for being an FS coach. It probably depends on where you work and your personal background. I would imagine that classes in education and human development would be important in establishing credentials as a 'teacher' and other classes in physical therapy would be helpful, too. Anyway, you should probably ask FS coaches that you know about their backgrounds and follow up with the various skating clubs at all levels as well as local rinks.

Moving Forward
    I have a B.S. in Ed. from Ohio State University with a major in English, a major in Speech and a minor in Theater.

I worked my way through college as a cashier and as a result ended up doing the same thing for higher pay in the Bursar's office at Southern Illinois University. The degree only helped about six years ago when I took the position of Supervisor of Graduate Records exactly one floor above where I had worked for nine years. At this rate, it will take me another twelve years to work my way to the third floor (started off in the basement) to the office of the Director of Financial Aid, just in time for retirement!

Nan

Custom Title
    B.A. in history from St. Mary's University.

History nerd speaking

Hey Mike, heres something else we have common. What was the focus of your history courses?

Custom Title
    I focused on modern history. I did a few courses in American history (one about 20th century, and a seminar on the era between the Revolutionary War and the Civil War), and a few European history courses. My favorite course I ever took was a Russian history course.

How about you?

I took Russian history one year. I loved it probably because my prof was crazy and there was no exam! But the majority of my courses were Canadian, post Confederation. I took seminars in French Canadiian nationalism and Canadian women's history. But my real interest is old newspapers. I love to research how newspapers reflected and influenced the past. I don't know why, but reading old newspapers through microfilm fascinates me. If I ever go back to do my masters, I'd probably have a newspaper angle in there somewhere...and ruin my eyes in the process.

Can I ask you what are you doing today? I'm having a hard time finding a line of work involving my degree.

Custom Title
    Well I'm doing the furthest thing from history. I'm a carpenter, for now at least until I decide when I'm gonna do my B.ED and start teaching history to all the youngins.

What line of work are you interested in? With a history degree you could get into law school if you wanted, or you could teach. You could try to get on at a museum or maybe even something like a Hall of Fame if you were interested in public history.

+ Medalist +
    I graduated from the University of Delaware with a B.A. in Communication (Mass Concentration).

Hey, I'm thinking about doing my B.Ed too. I'm thinking about starting in January at the Uiversity of Maine - Presque Isle. Its only a year and half compared to 2 years here in NS.
    What would you teach, elementary or secondary?
    I'm crazy, I think I would actually like to teach junior high!

I had an interview at the Maritime Musuem of the Atlantic last week and it went very poorly!

Custom Title
    I would teach high school without a doubt. I couldn't imagine teaching junior high kids, they'd drive me insane!

If you do your B.Ed in Maine you should know that it's not a very well recognized program in NS for some strange reason. Canadian schools seem to want their teachers to have been taught in Canada.

Kara, did you know I lived in Caribou for a year? Quite an experience.

Kara, bummer about the interview. What happened?

Mike,
    I had never heard of U of M until a friend of mine decided to go there. Her father used to be our principal and is now quite high up in the school board. So I figured if its good enough for her, it will be good for me. When I was talking to the school itself, they said theres a certain clause in effect. NS wants their teachers to take 2 year education degrees, but if you graduated from high school in 1999 or before, you can do a shorter degree. U of M's degree is only 2 semesters at the university and one semester practice teaching, which you can do at home. And they have rolling admission, which is good for slackers like me who can't decide what to do.

Grgranny,
    Caribou!!! What were you doing there?

RealtorGal,
    Where to begin with my bad interview.
    I had sent in a resume a few months ago but didn't hear back. So they called last week and said they had so many people apply for the original job, that they couldn't bring me in for an interview, but they had another position available and was wondering if I could come down. So I said sure, not really knowing what it was about. I get there, on my birthday no less, and they tell me more about the position. It turns out they wanted me, not for my lovely history degree, but for my cashier experience. They wanted someone to ring in tickets...for 7.50 an hour. YUCK!
    The interview itself went fine until the end when they started asking questions like, "What were the two boats that collided during the Halifax explosion?" and "How do you get to Peggy's cove from here?|" Well, I suck at remembering details about history and am even worse at directions. So that was it for that, haven't heard back from them. It was just as well, for 7.50 an hour it wouldn't be worth it for me to commute 45 minutes into the city. So the hunt continues.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast