Why do men watch figure skating? | Golden Skate

Why do men watch figure skating?

Why do men watch figure skating?

• Because their wives/girl friends make them.

Votes: 19 35.8%
  • So they can ogle pretty ladies in skimpy costumes.

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • To root for their favorite against the enemy.

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • Because they enjoy the beauty and grace of the sport.

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • Because they admire the skill and athleticism of the performances.

Votes: 12 22.6%

• Total voters

mpal2

Final Flight
Mathman,

I think most men in the US start watching FS because the women make them. I've managed to push a few guys into watching because they were interested in me. After I didn't appreciate their efforts in the way they hoped, they lost interest. Sometime we manage to win some converts, sometimes we lose. :p

R.D.

Record Breaker
Interesting topic. I got myself into this thing, it's really odd. You can blame my computer and the internet, that's for sure. I always watched the olympics but after 2002 curiosity (and access to a computer- 1998 I was VERY interested but lost it fairly quickly because there was no way for me to keep up) got the better of me, and 1.5 years later, here I am. :D

My "interest" has always gone in and out. As time progresses, and now with a new found interest in sports like football, my interest in this sport is waning. The beginning of last season was kind of fun, the end was OK, I think this offseason about did it in for me. I may or may not watch next season but I'll definitely keep up online with results- at least I THINK I will.

Kara Bear

Final Flight
With my boyfriend its a combination of me making him and him liking when the girls skirts fly up. :)

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am very lucky that my whole family (men & women) likes figure skating .

I voted for watching the skill.

Dee

Tpangner

Rinkside
I voted "Because their wives/girl friends make them."

I don't say every men are that way but many of them (sorry guys) are that way (The ones I know, anyway )!

There was a poll somewhere and it was noted that men when they acquiese to their wives and watch figure skating, they prefer to watch the ladies in short skirts spinning. they are not keen on the Men even with quads.

One thing is for sure, there will never be a TV figure skating contest on in a Sports Bar.

From my experience at DCWorlds, I would venture a guess that 85 per cent of the attendance was comprised of Women with half that per centage with husbands. (Many were wives and daughters.)

The remainder 15 per cent was men none of which seemed sterotype gays. You figure.

Joe

Last edited:

Pookie

Final Flight
Mine is definitely because "their wife/girlfriend makes them." He lasts for about 30 minutes then he is looking for anywhere else he can find to go hide. :laugh:

mmandel

On the Ice
:love: Because I enjoy the beauty and grace of the sport and because I admire the skill and athleticism of the performances.
:love:

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I would say both of the last ones -- beauty & grace AND athleticism. As for being forced... there is no way my bf would force me to watch soccer -- so either he does not warch FS, or if he does, than it's for those reasons.

aly*cutie

On the Ice
The only way my dad or brothers will watch skating is if I beg them! hehe! So I chose the first one! hehe! :)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
hmmmmmmmm I wont vote until I can ask my dad(who is hiking up Round Mountain to shoot himself a Dall Sheep! GO DAD! LOL) but I think for him it's the last two depending on the skater and the competition(amature vs pro)

as for my little brother... he just likes the mens skating and the pairs mens for the jumps pairs for the throws... and pro skating for Kurt Browning(who is, 5 years later, still his hero![he still has a pic of Kurt in his wallet! LOL I really need to write to Kurt and ask him to send Duane an autograph!])

fanforlady2001

Rinkside
my husband wont even watch it, I go in the other room because he will disturb me on purpose during the free skate.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Mathman, you forgot to add "Because they take great pleasure watching them "splat" when they fall"...........that would be my husband's reason..............:( 42

SkateCynic

Rinkside
One thing is for sure, there will never be a TV figure skating contest on in a Sports Bar.

I can name one exception I had to endure. Back in 1994, when I was an avid dart player, we had a league match the night of the Ladies Freeskate. I was all cranked to watch Nancy and Tonya, and I was thrilled that the sports bar actually had the broadcast on. Unfortunately, the whole experience was ruined for me because, as the sole female out of two teams (the other nine players were guys), I had to deal with a barrage of catcalls, typical 'guy' comments about physical attributes (or lack thereof) and sexual innuendo regarding flexibility. That said, even the guys took a bit of pleasure in Tonya's meltdown......

The other half was forced to endure endless hours of not only the broadcasts, but the numerous replaying of the recordings of each comp. He was foolish enough to think that sending me to Skate America would 'burn me out' on watching figure skating. Uh, wrong move, Dr. Frankenstein. What was funny was that the only skater he was ever impressed with was Alexei Yagudin!! Well, Yagudin and anyone with a spectacular crash.

What I find hysterical is that one of my football-obsessed, macho man dart buddies is a closet figure skating fan. He would come over to watch the tapes with me, absolutely gushing in one breath and threatening that he would kick my a** if I told any of the other guys in the next. I love having leverage!!! :laugh:

Sadie

On the Ice
I think the wives/girlfriends make them, but the guys sure do enjoy the costumes too!

mpal2

Final Flight
SkateCynic said:
The other half was forced to endure endless hours of not only the broadcasts, but the numerous replaying of the recordings of each comp. He was foolish enough to think that sending me to Skate America would 'burn me out' on watching figure skating. Uh, wrong move, Dr. Frankenstein.

Don't they know that it's like giving a crack addict more crack? :laugh: