View Poll Results: Why do men watch figure skating?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • Because their wives/girl friends make them.

19 34.55%
  • So they can ogle pretty ladies in skimpy costumes.

15 27.27%
  • To root for their favorite against the enemy.

3 5.45%
  • Because they enjoy the beauty and grace of the sport.

5 9.09%
  • Because they admire the skill and athleticism of the performances.

13 23.64%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Why do men watch figure skating?

Mathman, you forgot to add "Because they take great pleasure watching them "splat" when they fall"...........that would be my husband's reason..............:( 42

How could I have forgotten good old "Shadenfreude!"

How long till the new season?
    Writing thank-you notes to GS for their kind hospitality......
    One thing is for sure, there will never be a TV figure skating contest on in a Sports Bar.
    I can name one exception I had to endure. Back in 1994, when I was an avid dart player, we had a league match the night of the Ladies Freeskate. I was all cranked to watch Nancy and Tonya, and I was thrilled that the sports bar actually had the broadcast on. Unfortunately, the whole experience was ruined for me because, as the sole female out of two teams (the other nine players were guys), I had to deal with a barrage of catcalls, typical 'guy' comments about physical attributes (or lack thereof) and sexual innuendo regarding flexibility. That said, even the guys took a bit of pleasure in Tonya's meltdown......

The other half was forced to endure endless hours of not only the broadcasts, but the numerous replaying of the recordings of each comp. He was foolish enough to think that sending me to Skate America would 'burn me out' on watching figure skating. Uh, wrong move, Dr. Frankenstein. What was funny was that the only skater he was ever impressed with was Alexei Yagudin!! Well, Yagudin and anyone with a spectacular crash.

What I find hysterical is that one of my football-obsessed, macho man dart buddies is a closet figure skating fan. He would come over to watch the tapes with me, absolutely gushing in one breath and threatening that he would kick my a** if I told any of the other guys in the next. I love having leverage!!!

Look at me! I'm doing a triple.....THUD! *ouch*
    I think the wives/girlfriends make them, but the guys sure do enjoy the costumes too!

Custom Title
    Originally posted by SkateCynic
    The other half was forced to endure endless hours of not only the broadcasts, but the numerous replaying of the recordings of each comp. He was foolish enough to think that sending me to Skate America would 'burn me out' on watching figure skating. Uh, wrong move, Dr. Frankenstein.

Don't they know that it's like giving a crack addict more crack?

Medalist
    Mr Cygnus will watch with me for a while. He likes the athletic skaters- men and pairs (no patience with Dance at all). And he gets turned of by the "effeminate" men (mentioning no names!).
    When he does watch the women- he likes Katerina Witt (pro) and Maria Butyrskaya ie more mature women rather than little girls.

Custom Title
    Originally posted by cygnus
    Mr Cygnus will watch with me for a while. He likes the athletic skaters- men and pairs (no patience with Dance at all). And he gets turned of by the "effeminate" men (mentioning no names!).
    When he does watch the women- he likes Katerina Witt (pro) and Maria Butyrskaya ie more mature women rather than little girls.
    sound so much like my bf.

on the other hand, my father likes watching jus to see the skaters(both men and women fall). He always says ..."now why are they
    always upset when they fall."

Custom Title
    My husband watches from time to time for about 15 minutes, usually he manages to read while watching . I think he would be a little bit more interested if we had successful skaters who could make the podium
    Nevertheless, I've voted for "skill and athletism" because one of my best friends actually watches with huge interest and knowledge of the sport. (He is not German btw. )

Custom Title
    Do boys count, too? My son (7) watches with me from time to time - not for long, though - and he is impressed with the jumps. Another point for athletism.

Custom Title
    My husband has evolved from "because my wife makes me" to "watching the girls in the short skirts" to a true appreciation of the sport for its athleticism and skill. He has played competitive hockey his whole life, and even he admits they could skate circles around the great hockey players. He truly feels that there is far more physical training involved in skating than there is in hockey. Hockey is all about natural talent and luck, you have it or you don't.

My husband has now joined the ranks of skating fans who will watch even if I am NOT home, and he even tapes events for me without my asking!!! How fortunate I am!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2