Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Posing for "Playboy" Magazine

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar

Posing for "Playboy" Magazine

SkateFan4Life:

Funny you should mention that; I saw a old talk show program from Canada (Dina Petty) with Phillipe Candellero; she asked him if we would consider posing nude for "Playgirl" Magazine. The ladies in the audience seemed to think it was a great idea!

Master Procrastinator
    Well, as one of the prudish Americans, I simply do not see the purpose of posing nude except for men (and I suppose some women) to get their thrills from it. I don't see it as "art", and the people looking at the pictures are not having art discussions over a glass of wine.

That said, I do think there is a big difference in Kat posing nude and the others listed in the original post. There is a HUGE physical difference. I don't think seeing Tara and the others nude would get much excitement out of the average man reading (looking at) Playboy. No offense to those skaters, but they hardly have much of a figure. I can see why Viktoria's pictures would be successful for the same reason as Kat's.

I would just like to put in my two cents worth by pointing out that I heard that Katarina's photos were so heavily airbrushed, that to this day, it's a matter of conjecture as to how much of those snapshots were really her and not the handiwork of some photoshop ace.

That being said, I'd also like to mention that I've also heard that if Lipinski were to do a similar spread, she wouldn't be the first cast member of "7th Heaven" to've done so.

Originally posted by Norlite
    Toni,

Particularly because of the fact that you are an 18 year old American girl......... I am saddened by your use of the word "[color=red]*[/color][color=red]*[/color][color=red]*[/color][color=red]*[/color]" particularly as it applies to how young girls dress. It is understandable that in your opinion, these girls are dressing inappropriately, that's fine, and I agree to a certain extent, (being the mother of two teen-age girls myself, who constantly have to monitor what my girls are wearing :\ )

But please, let's stop using words such as [color=red]*[/color][color=red]*[/color][color=red]*[/color][color=red]*[/color], and b**** and wh*** and all other names such as these used only to describe women.
    I wasn't describing women in general...

I have changed my choice of words and I do apologise. I realize this is a touchy subject and I'm sorry to those I've offended. I didn't mean to in anyway.

Rinkside
    OK, well since this conversation is heading towards the difference between the European skaters and the American skaters. What American skaters do you see posing for a spread of some sort, be it nude or just sexy pictures. I will think of some and get back.

Custom Title
    The only thing that bothers me is that figure skating has always been a popular sport with young children, especially young girls. I wouldn't want my daughter posing in "Playboy" ever. But, at the same time, it is entirely up to the person as to whether they pose nude or not. I won't criticize someone's decision...I've never been in that situation and who's to say I wouldn't have done the same thing. (Probably no, and wouldn't be asked to, lol) I certainly couldn't see Michelle doing it, and I'd have my jaw surgically sewn to the floor if Sarah Hughes ever did anything like that. But Katarina and Maria weren't really surprising.

Custom Title
    Americans:

Sasha Cohen - She has a Katarina-esque attitude about her...a fiery, makes-her-own-rules type of personality.

Tonya Harding - LOL....she's tried everything else, it certainly wouldn't hurt.

Nicole Bobek - I think she always wanted to be a "sexy" skater...but I just never saw her that way. I could see her doing something like that.

I think I have to support Toni here. When 12-year-old girls deliberately set about to dress in "prostitute chic," they cannot then turn around and pretend that their feelings are hurt when people call them names.

Same with boys. If you wear your belt around your knees with the croch of your pants dragging the floor and tripping you with every step, and showing your polka dot underwear, you can't blame adults and older children from calling you a clown.

Where are the parents? We are supposed to be guiding our kids' fashion sense, LOL.

About adult skaters posing for playboy, I agree with Bronzeisgolden, that they should take into account the fact that they are role models for young children.

Mathman

Custom Title
    I saw Kat in an interview where they asked about the pictures. I can't remember where or when so hopefully someone else will. She basically admitted that it was the publicity and the boost to her self esteem.

She said Playboy had been asking her to pose for several years since her Olympic wins. She was completely against the idea but as she started to get older and they kept asking, she saw it as a compliment that an "older" lady was still seen as attractive.

Yep It's me!
    Originally posted by Mathman
    Same with boys. If you wear your belt around your knees with the croch of your pants dragging the floor and tripping you with every step, and showing your polka dot underwear, you can't blame adults and older children from calling you a clown.

Clown? Thank you Mathman, you have just made my point.

Toni,

I just think that we should be very careful in the names, and very graphic names at that, we are calling young women. Call them inappropriate, call them over-exposed, call them indecent, heck, If they wear their pants real low and expose their underwear, you can even call them clowns if you want

I realize you did not, nor do you ever mean to offend.
    Last edited by Norlite; 08-19-2003 at 04:46 AM.

Custom Title
    Originally posted by IDLERACER
    I would just like to put in my two cents worth by pointing out that I heard that Katarina's photos were so heavily airbrushed, that to this day, it's a matter of conjecture as to how much of those snapshots were really her and not the handiwork of some photoshop ace.

That being said, I'd also like to mention that I've also heard that if Lipinski were to do a similar spread, she wouldn't be the first cast member of "7th Heaven" to've done so.

Even Niki Taylor and Britney Spears get airbrushed. To say it wasn't Kat in those pics is pure speculation.

Custom Title
    There is another point which might be worth considering: in Eastern Germany, there used to be a whole "nude culture". There were a lot of beaches and camping grounds for nudist, and apparently nobody ever took offense. (This is probably where a certain reputation of ours comes from, about "naked picnics" etc. . ) I suppose that Katarina Witt's attitude towards posing nude might be somewhat different from the average Western point of view. But that's only a guess, of course.
    BTW, from what I've learnt on TV, the nudist tradition is regressing in Eastern Germany, people tend to believe it's a result of the reunification.

Custom Title
    Originally posted by Joesitz
    As to the Russian ladies posing and the French boys in the steam room picture, is just a European thing. Americans are far behind the Europeans in Au Naturel.

Joe
    Where does Alexei's famous sauna pic come from? Okay, he is Russian - but I used to believe it was from an American magazine, am I wrong?

PS: Panther's Alexei pic is the proof that a person can be totally dressed and still look ...... :D

Only my point of view. Lisa

I'm with Toni and Mathman. I say dress like you have a little bit of respect for yourself. For me that includes the leaving of the clothes on, in front of the camera, on the beach . . . .

Yes, I am an uptight prude and I like it that way.
    Last edited by Pookie; 08-19-2003 at 08:58 AM.

Norlite: Point well made. Point taken.

Lisa: ITA about Panther's Alexei pic. I could post a few pics of my favorite ladies, too -- fully clothed, but whoo-eeeeee!

Mathman
    Last edited by Mathman; 08-19-2003 at 09:53 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast