Skaters that could use improvement? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Skaters that could use improvement?

lavender

Record Breaker
Sarah Hughes- The gawkiest skater I've ever seen. She’s also the luckiest girl alive but I won’t go into that. Too bad she's taking a break because I actually thought she looked a little more graceful at Worlds '03 minus the bad, bad technique on her jumps.

Bonaly- never liked her skating but I do like when she just throws jumps out of no where but her choreography is just thrown in there too and it’s oh so not nice to me.

However I think these 2 skaters are very nice people. Can’t dislike them off the ice

Last edited:
S

SkateFan4Life

Nicole Bobek is another "least favorite" skater of mine. Lots of potential, but lousy training habits. She botched so many programs, pulled out of so many competitions, etc. I just never believed that she would be able to complete an entire program without splattering on the ice.

B

BeccaR

Michael Weiss
Timothy Goebel
Sarah Hughes
Maria Petrova & Alexei Tikhonov

astimegoesby

On the Ice
Okay, I'll be nice and limit my choices to one per discipline:

Pairs: Petrova/Tikonov (zzzzz!)
Men: Tim Goebel (take away the quads and, IMO, there's just not a lot left...and he's certainly had enough time--and access to one of the best choreographers in the business--to improve his artistry by now!)
Ladies: Surya Bonaly...although she's improved a little since turning pro (but only a little!)
Dance: Pasha and Platov

If I mention her name I will get bombarded with hate mail. But I am not overwhelmed with little girls who try their best to look all grown up especially if they master triple combos. But they do look cute and that's another topic.

Joe

Lcp88

On the Ice
I'm sure all of these people are prefectly nice and all, but on the ice, Yuk:
Sarah Hughes
Mike Weiss
Ilia Kilmkin/Stanick Jeanette - They both have really good basic skating , but those outfits distract you waaaaay more than they should (the same can be said for about 90% of the dance teams)
A&P
L&A
C&S
Emanuel Sandhu
Elena Liashenko

Laura

Norlite

On the Ice
I'll leave out any reasons as well. I don't enjoy the skating of:

Surya Bonaly
Michael Weiss
Sarah Hughes
Tim Goebel
Nancy Kerrigan
Ben Ferriera
Todd Eldredge
Meno and Sand

Jhar55

Medalist
least favorite skater

least favorite skaters
Nancy
Tara
Sarah

Michale
Takeshi

Too many Pairs &
Dance to name

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Least Favorite Skater(s)

I never really cared for A&P (ice dance team). Too many lifts and not enough foot work to really qualify as ice dance.

I am not thrilled with the Russian pair P&T; although they are technicians and I think with the right program they just might be able to change my opinion. I think they just have not found the right formula yet.

I also never liked B&B (ice dancers) at least their programs; they were great technicians as well, but I always found them a little too theatrical and over the top. They only did one program in their pro days that I found kind of interesting.

One has to be very careful when critiquing skaters; because it's not always the skaters fault; a lot of times it's the coaches and choreographers; I have seen skaters at different points in their career and with a different program they have ended up changing my mind.

rachelstarlet

Rinkside
I can stand pretty much anyone - you can always find redeeming factors somehow... usually with the people below I just watch their feet. Easier that way lol :)

Sarah Hughes (!!!!!!)
Irina
Tara
Elena Sokolova
Elena Liashenko
Todd Eldredge
And I agree w/ JHar 55 - too many pairs and dance teams :)

Lucy25

Final Flight
I think everyone has their likes and dislikes of skating, just like everything else in the world. No one is going to like everything. My particular tastes have never cared to much for the skating of:

Tara Lipinski
Kat Witt
Roslyn Sumners
Ilia Kulik
P&T
T&M
Brian Orser
Sarah Hughes
Viktoria Volchkova
Amber Corwin
Elena Liashenko
all the current Japanese ladies except Fumie

And I can't stand Ice Dance at all. All the skaters are talented, but no to my taste.

dewet

Final Flight
Sasha Cohen
Sarah Hughes
Yoshie Onda
Liudmilla Nelidina
Amber Corwin
Micheal Weiss
Tim Goebel
Todd Eldredge
Scott/Dulebohn
Pertrova/Tikonov

Won't go to reasons.

Last edited:

cianni

On the Ice
My least faves are Irina and Sarah, both nice as persons but flawed as skaters. Both beyond lucky in their wins but thats another story.

Linny

Final Flight
Least Favorite

The title of this thread throws me a bit since I don't really have least favorites: I admire anyone who can get out there alone or with just a partner and show an audience, particular one including judges, what they've got.

What drives me bonkers is undeveloped potential. Someone mentioned MW: don't you just go crazy when he takes the big fall in a program with moments of brilliance? How about Sasha, falling out of a spin? The young lady has so darned many possiblities. If she could just keep it together. Tim G drives me nuts. In the air, he is unsurpassed but on the ice his posture is so not elegant. Seems like such a simple fix. Stand up, Timmy. Yet...

Perhaps it's just that I root for every skater. I sit in front of the TV or in the stands, waiting for the program that is perfect, start to finish, and touches me in a way I won't forget.

Linny

Pookie

Final Flight
My least favorite of all would be Surya.

Petrova and Tikhonov
Michael Weiss - I agree with BronzeisGolden's opinions. :)
Katarina Witt
Oksana Gritschuk
Brassuer and Eisler - Too many lifts
Oksana Baiul

That's all I can think of right now.