Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Skaters that could use improvement?

Custom Title
    Originally posted by Joesitz

For the Men, I think it is Plush's to lose. In which case I would give it to Tim. Yags will be hurting; takeshi just doesn't grab me; Li Cheng will be ready for the Olys;

Joe
    Joe, I agree with your on most of the men. But Li Chengjiang for Olys? How old is he? probaberly 25 now?

Back to the topic. I don't get the 'least favorater' ones. Dose that mean the one you don't like but the ABC broadcast his program anyway? To me the least favorater one could be a LONG, LOOO.........ONG list, since I don't even want waste time to watch them.
    Last edited by mzheng; 08-21-2003 at 10:22 AM.

Yep It's me!
    Originally posted by mzheng
    Joe, I agree with your on most of the men. But Li Chengjiang for Olys? How old is he? probaberly 25 now?

Close......24.

Custom Title
    Originally posted by Norlite
    Close......24.
    Thanks. He'll be 26 or 27 at 2006. Is he too OLD compare with Plush?

Don't get me wrong, I like Li, and I thought he was underscored at 03 worlds. He has very good basics edge, smooth, speed seems better than Tim. The presentation wide he is in his own class just that the Judges did not preciate his style. Did DB said he landed best quad at 03 worlds? And DB praised Li for his presentation, it is a rear case for ABC commentator, but I certainly appreciate DB's kind words toward a non FAV.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    I would have given Li 3rd at World's. I think even the judges would have given him 3rd if he had held the energy level up at the end of the program, but it kind of died off. By contrast Takeshi had more energy at the end, particularly in the footwork. (But I preferred Li).

Joe, how would you have scored it?

dpp

Doris - Yes, Li needs energy. One expects great quads at the beginning of his programs and he delivers. In fact I would not be surprised if he hit a quint. His spins have improved but they will never be 'good lookin' spins.

But he peters out after 3 minutes and the entire program goes down hill. My acknowledging his Oly potential is because I feel by that time the energy will be mastered.

As for the age thing. Boys to Men develop slower than girls to Ladies. 26/27 at 2006 is not old at all for the men. Plush, too will be in or approaching his mid-twenties, I believe.

But for now, Li, I am afraid needs to learn breathning techniques.

Joe

Least Favorite Skaters

Men
    Michael Weiss: I used to think he was hot, but his ego is much bigger than his skating skills. SPLAT!
    Evgeny Plushenko: He reminds me too much of Urmanov, who I could not stand.
    Tim Goebel: The Tin Man.
    Elvis Stokjo: I know he's a legend in the sport, but I find his style totally unwatchable.

Ladies
    Sarah Hughes: I like her personally, but bad posture, improper edge takeoffs, cheated landings ... blech.
    Maria Butyrskaya: She needs some muscle relaxants. Every time she (tried to) land a jump I would cringe.
    Tonia Kwiakowski: A very nice lady who just could not get it together and to be honest there wasn't anything in her skating which set her apart.
    Josee Chouinard: As Olga would say, she is in "fall, fall, fall."
    Viktoria Volchkova: zzzzzzzzzzz.
    Ludmila Nelidina: She cannot skate!

Last edited by Ogre Mage; 08-22-2003 at 12:07 AM.

Le Patineur et sa Petite Lulu
    Michael Weiss, Sarah Hughs Paul Weillly and Nancy Kerrigan.
    Daniel and Little Lulu

Alexander Abt- his skating does nothing at all for me zzzzz

Kat Witt- more zzzzz

Surya Bonaly- Too rough around the edges for my liking

Sarah Hughes- seems like a nice enough person, but the technical flaws (cheated jumps, fluting, bent leg sprirals) along with her sorta "gawkyness" on the ice is just too much for me to take.

Irina Slutskaya-again she seems like a nice enough person, but her skating just doesn't do it for me. its not zzzzz, but Its just kinda there...not much to it

Petrova and Tikhonov-zzzzzzz

Sale & Pelletier- well actually I don't mind David Pelltier too much, but Jamie Sale....well I won't go into that. Bashing isn't allowed on this board.

Carolina Kostner- I don't get the hype. At Worlds I found her to be boring slow and uninspired. She lost me after the first minute of the program.

Phillipe Candoloro- I don't even know what to say

Chengjiang Li- zzzzzz

Elvis Stojko- I'm not sure what it is about his skating I don't like, but something just doesn't do it for me

Thank God for Stephane Lambiel and Matt Savoie! shine's Avatar
    While I don't find Kostner the most exciting skater and had a boring long program last year, I don't think the word "slow" can ever been attributed to her. She's one of the smoothest skaters out there and has such a sailing quality in her stroking.

At this point, I'd have to say the only skater I truly cannot bring myself to like is Tim Goebel. Sorry Goebel fans, I think all the talk of his "improved" presentation is BS. Even his quads are unexciting and mechanical. He gets my vote for the most boring world medalist to have ever stepped onto the ice.
    Last edited by shine; 08-22-2003 at 01:32 PM.

Medalist

Gee

Least favorite skaters that I appreciate nonetheless, and why?

M. Weiss-- his skating lack depth and breath; a waste of music.
    T. G---his round shoulders and arm movements, and I admit he is getting better, go Tim.
    A. Abt--his failure to propel and complete his skating; he is so talented but just seems to come up short of the glory.
    Ondo& the Russian Lady w/the triple axle jump--too muscle-minded and no appreciation for artistry, but a few more years of dance will do the trick.

That's all folks

Eville Eastern Bloc Poster
    Actually I think Michael Weiss, at least his skating, is not that bad. He's elegant and musical, to me he's still the best us-american male skater recently (prefer him over Goebel and Eldredge any time, but haven't watched Johnny Weir
    yet ). His personality, his scary wife and his even more scary Dad, well, that's another story! If I'd have them in my staff, I'd screw up my double axels as well! Poor Mike! :D

Anke
    Last edited by Germanice; 08-22-2003 at 05:26 AM.

Custom Title
    Originally posted by shine
    While I don't find Kostner the most exciting skater and had a boring long program last year, I don't think the word "slow" can ever been attributed to her. She's one of the smoothest skaters out there and has such a sailing quality in her stroking.

Add this point, I'd have to say the only skater I truly cannot bring myself to like is Tim Goebel. Sorry Goebel fans, I think all the talk of his "improved" presentation is BS. Even his quads are unexciting and mechanical. He gets my vote for the most boring world medalist to have ever stepped onto the ice.

I have to agree with shine about goebel. Very consistent but also very boring. And that posture of his is just horrible.

It is not that I don't like certain Skaters. It is that I don't care for their style or lack there of. Like Most as a person in their own right. Well, not Michael Weiss. He just thinks that he is it.

Ladies:
    Sarah H. It's been said before. That god awful posture of hers. & her Gawkiness on the ice. Not smooth at all.
    [b]Surya B]/b]. Her skating was bad, No artist side what so ever. & her attitude & her mother did not help her skating career.
    Katt Witt: She was always more of a Tart on Ice. Sorry, But standing & posing isn't skating for me.
    [b]Nancy K]/b]. She had great Technical skill but lacks true soul.
    Oksana B. Great Artistic Skill ( But after olympics, She went overboard, She became addicted to the drama around her that she created)
    Maria B.She too made me nervous when she skated. Very stiff & no passion when skating.
    Irina S she only made my list because, she is a 1 sided skater. Jumps, jumps & more jumps. Her spins are good. But, Like Nancy she has no or very little artistic side. Flash isn't art. But, I love her as a person. Very happy & bubbly. Well, not after SLC. She too fell in with the crybabies.
    Men:
    Michael Weiss: Sorry, to say this but, I can't stand him. & was happy that he did not medal at worlds. That Hummer that he rented. Please. Did he really think that he cold beat plushenko. I could go on but, I think I am reaching the border line here.:D
    Elvis S. Sorry, But, never liked his type of skating. Short, choppy, no Soul.
    Timmy G: He is another one. All one sided. But, He is improving alot. So he is borderline.

Custom Title

Joe
    Yes. And eat more steaks.

Custom Title

Joe
    Yes. And eat more steaks.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast