Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Skaters that could use improvement?

NM Pinon Picker
    Tara = IMO has no committment to the sport. Has not proven anything, both as an eligible & pro. Luck was on her side 3 times...

Sasha = Overrated. Needs a clean program. Needs to tame her ego/arrogance.

Custom Title
    I actually look up to all the skaters at the senior level. Just being out there doing what they do takes guts!

I'm just going to add a half a cent! I absolutely despise it when anyone does those pelvic thrusts. As much as I like the skater, I think it is repulsive.
    Even more, I dislike Phillippe's disrobing. Ok, I know I'm a prude but that's how I feel.

Granny - I'm with you on this. While I'm no prude, and I do look at musicals like Chicago and Cabaret, I think of figure skating as a sport, and why the pelvic thrusts? I'm not amused!!

If it's done in exhibition skating, I'll let it go but can they do it better than the dancers in Chicago and Cabaret? I doubt it.

Joe

Yes, I agree. There's a place for things like that. I did see Cabaret but haven't seen Chicago yet. You just know when you go to movies like that, it's going to be there. How could anyone miss seeing Liza in anything? We even went to see her live in that famous outside park in Boston in 1986. Too bad, people can't refrain from smoking in places like that. Ruined the whole thing. I think it might be called Boston Commons, but don't remember. I do expect to see Chicago sometime. Probably when it is on tv. I'm not such a prude as to miss something like that when there's good music or dancing.

Custom Title
    Least favorite skaters, which I really bored to watch
    TT/MM
    Sasha C.
    Petrova/Tikhonov
    Bytirskaya
    Yags
    Goebel

On the Ice
    I wanted to add two more skaters to my earlier opinion. Irina Lobacheva and Ilia Averbukh - simply because they acted really rotten when they won silver this year at Worlds. They made all the usual Russian competitor comments about how the crowd wanted the Canadians to win and how Bourne and Kraatz were just given gold b/c it was their last comp.

Perhaps being a gracious loser isn't something that is valued in Russia, b/c I've seen a pattern w/their competitors of sour grapes - Butyrskaya, Plushenko, and now Lobacheva and Averbukh. Granted, Americans aren't always perfect (think Nancy Kerrigan) when they lose -but, the Russians are always blaming someone else when they falter, whether it is the judges, the audience, the ice, or who knows what?

It makes me ill....

Custom Title
    Why do you put Plushy in that category? He always takes resposability for his loses. Never heard him give excuses or blaming anyone for them.

On the Ice
    Oh, sorry - I thought he was one of the ones who tended to blame everything else except for his own skating for any losses, but I think you are right about that one....

Custom Title
    I think the only negative I've heard regarding Plushy's attitude toward Yags, but we all know the feelings are mutual.

During one of the GPF's (I think) Peter Carruthers asked both of them what effect the other's skating had on their own skating. Yagudin admitted that Plushenko pushed him to do more. Plushenko said Alexei had nothing to do with his skating skills.

Obviously not true, but that's the worst I've heard about Plushy. He may have even changed his tune after the 2002/2003 season without the threat of Alexei at the events. No more challenges.

Tripping on the Podium
    Originally posted by merfsk8s
    I wanted to add two more skaters to my earlier opinion. Irina Lobacheva and Ilia Averbukh - simply because they acted really rotten when they won silver this year at Worlds. They made all the usual Russian competitor comments about how the crowd wanted the Canadians to win and how Bourne and Kraatz were just given gold b/c it was their last comp.

Perhaps being a gracious loser isn't something that is valued in Russia, b/c I've seen a pattern w/their competitors of sour grapes - Butyrskaya, Plushenko, and now Lobacheva and Averbukh. Granted, Americans aren't always perfect (think Nancy Kerrigan) when they lose -but, the Russians are always blaming someone else when they falter, whether it is the judges, the audience, the ice, or who knows what?

It makes me ill....
    Give me a break Everyone is setting out to lynch L/A for Ilya's comments. First i would like to point out that Irina and Ilya may be married, and may be partners, but they are not one person, nor do they share a brain. Irina may not feel has bitter about the situation as Ilya does, so let's not judge both of them for something that one of them said. And secondly I find it rather Ironic that you failed to mention B/K's whining and crying everytime they got a placement they didn't like.

SkateFan4Life
    I never really enjoyed Jill Trenary's skating. Perhaps it's because she was always held up by the judges. Time after time Jill skated long programs that contained one or more errors, yet she always received marks high enough to put her on the podium.

Case in point - her 1989 Skate America long program was nothing short of DISASTROUS. Trenary fell or missed every one of her triples, yet she received scores in the low to mid-fives, and that was good enough to give her the silver medal.

In my opinion, her 1989 World bronze medal was a gift from the judges. She doubled her planned triple flip, and then she slipped on her planned triple salchow. The rest of the program was little more than watering her triples to singles and doubles. She did not deserve to medal, in my opinion, not with that long program.
    Yet, the judges awarded her marks that were high enough to place her third. Granted, Jill had finished second in the school figures and the short program, so she had skated well up until the long program, and of course, with the combined results, she won the bronze medal fairly and squarely.

Just seems to me that Trenary was always held up by the judges.
    Perhaps the fact that she was coached by Carlo Fassi had something to do with it? Here we go again!

Rooting for the Kerrs!
    Originally posted by Smiley0884
    Give me a break Everyone is setting out to lynch L/A for Ilya's comments. First i would like to point out that Irina and Ilya may be married, and may be partners, but they are not one person, nor do they share a brain. Irina may not feel has bitter about the situation as Ilya does, so let's not judge both of them for something that one of them said. And secondly I find it rather Ironic that you failed to mention B/K's whining and crying everytime they got a placement they didn't like.
    ITA. Not to mention Jamie Sale after SLC. It's not always those "evil horrible Russians" who are the whiners or the bad guys. :sheesh: Quit with all the stereotyping/generalisations.

Custom Title
    Totally agree with everything Smiley0884 said.
    First of all we shouldn't pigeonhole skaters by nationality ie. "The Russians are always blaming someone else..." Have some Russian skaters blamed others when they did not perform as well as they wanted? Yes. Have skaters of other nationalities also blamed others? Yes. Not all Russian skaters have blamed others when they did not get the medal of their choosing.

I have nothing against B&K, but not mentioning their whinining, while mentioning Ilia's is sort of like the pot calling the kettle black.

Custom Title
    Plushy was right,Yags has nothing to do with his skating skills Mishin does.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast