Six Weeks to Curtain (Campbell's) | Golden Skate

Six Weeks to Curtain (Campbell's)

For me it is just a dress rehearsal. And I will be checking out the improvements, the music and the costumes.

I expect decent performances of Irina (if she comes); Anne Patrice; Jenny. I don't expect the best of MK, Sasha and Angela (if she comes).

Tim will be nervous; Plush will be cocky; Yags is a mystery; Johnny (if he is coming) will prove he can do it; Michael will be Michael as will Matt. I hope to see Jahnke prove he is a top tier skater.

Joe

dewet

Final Flight
I will be looking foward to programs by Michelle, Sasha, and Irina.

I don't care for costumes.

NanSinger2

On the Ice
MK's first performance each season is usually a little empty as far as choreography. Her routines tend to build to completion. I always notice a big difference between the start and finish of each season. I'll bet Sasha comes out swinging.

Great. It's nice to see posters thinking about the contestants and what they expect (or hope) them to do.

At such an early stage in the 03/04 season, predictions are not based on anything but favorites.

Joe

Campbell's is an almost Pro skate. It is not an ISU sanctioned event. No short program. What you want to do is check out the skaters for the various components of an LP.

Do not try to pick a winner without checking everything out. It's not important anyway.

Think: costumes, music, choreography, improvements.

this is about a rehearsal for the all those international events that are about to take place. It is your first gauge in predicting a winner at SkateAmerica, which is an important contest.

Joe

Norlite

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
Campbell's is an almost Pro skate. It is not an ISU sanctioned event.

A little clarification:

This is an Open invitational. It is sanctioned by the ISU, uses ISU International judges, and is put on by the USFSA.

Norlite - You are correct. It is an event sanctioned by the ISU, but it is not an ISU event.

The "like proam" is just that the event is open to all. Proams are open invitations.

SkateAmerica as an ISU event, e.g., must conform with ISU rules with seeded skaters, number of events permitted, etc.

Joe

Norlite

On the Ice
Joe,

Campbell's is an ISU event in the same manner as Skate America. Meaning, governed by ISU rules, and sanctioned by the ISU.

Skate America is an USFSA event.

Strictly ISU events are: GP Final, 4CC, Europeans and Worlds (and comparable Junior events)

Please see ISU communication 1214. You will note that their are many events that do not follow the familiar "rules" that many fans are aware of. Also see ISU communication 1072 which notes the last rule amendments made for Open Invitationals at the 2000 congress. I don't believe any have been made since.

Open Invitationals are bound by and included in the ISU rulebook as well.

Last edited:
Norlite - Thanks for the info. I will have homework to do to grasp this.

I believe Campbell's is an independent contest sponsored by the people at Campbell's. It's design is by the USFSA and approved by the ISU. Am I correct?

SkateAmerica is a USFSA event designed by the USFSA and approved by the ISU. Am I correct?

From the two examples above, I would dedeuce that only the design of the two contests are different. Am I correct?

Presume Hersheys at seasons end is similar to Campbell's.

Neither Campbell's nor Hersheys is considered for seeding purposes?

Joe

Norlite

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
I believe Campbell's is an independent contest sponsored by the people at Campbell's. It's design is by the USFSA and approved by the ISU. Am I correct?

No, it is an USFSA event sponsored by Campbell's. The same way Smart Ones Skate America is a USFSA event sponsored by Smart Ones, and Mastercard Skate Canada is a Skate Canada event sponsored by Mastercard. It can be "designed" by the USFSA however they like, as long as it doesn't violate anything in the ISU rules governing Open Competitions.

SkateAmerica is a USFSA event designed by the USFSA and approved by the ISU. Am I correct?

Not really. It is a USFSA event. But, if they want to stay part of the GP series, it is "designed" if you will by the ISU GP commitee of which the USFSA has an equal voice with the other 5 participants. (Canada, France, Russia, Japan, and now China). Bofrost (Germany) was removed as an GP event this year, but the Germany Federation is still running the competion.

From the two examples above, I would dedeuce that only the design of the two contests are different. Am I correct?

Again, not really. See above post. BTW- there are many different types of competitions approved for elite (or senior) eligible skaters, and still sanctioned by ISU. And many skaters participate. Think France's "Toe Jump" competion for example. They just aren't usually televised.

Presume Hersheys at seasons end is similar to Campbell's.

It is the same type of competition (Open Invitational). Only different sponsor.

Neither Campbell's nor Hersheys is considered for seeding purposes?

Well, no....they are Invitationals, which means, the skaters that go, are the skaters invited. Would be pretty unfair, and easy to manipulate the seeding if they did. Actually, if you want to get really technical, the USFSA doesn't just "invite" these skaters, they "hire "them. Remember a year or so ago when the USFSA was fed up with Todd Elredge's contract demands and withdrew his contract offer for a couple Open's? I can't remember which ones....Hersey's maybe??. The event was in Detroit, and Todd has to watch, not compete in his home town. And last years Yag's still competed in the Open's, even though he was hurt, cause he had already signed his contract for $225,000 (or however much it was?) and he said he needed that money.

Hope that helps

:)

Last edited:
Not exactly clear! The Campbell's Company sponsors a USFSA event and is given the title for that event. All this, however, must conform with the ISU rules of procedures.

Easy to understand SkateAmerica as a USFSA event as part of the overall Gran Prix which is governed by the rules of all the GP contests leading to the Gran Prix Final.

Individual countries design their own GP event.
The ISU approves and designs the Final.

This should be it!, Norlite and thanks again.

btw, the GP Committee reminds me of the Security Council of the UN.

Joe

patsue47

Rinkside
I don't expect it but I'm sure we are going to see more emphasis on foot work this 2003-2004 season, from a majority of the skaters.

rtureck

Final Flight
Footwork has always been a high light of a program for me. Some of Scott, Kurt and Yuka's footwork are heavenly. I also love Tara's patriotic program footwork.

It is hard to pull off real nice footwork. I think in the past couple of years, a/ some smart choreographer(s) designed footwork for a/ some skater(s) to hide his/her weakness. In another words, these brilliant choreographers designed footwork that looked more difficult, and also captured on the bravura style of the / these skater(s). Sasha Cohen's start /stop/ pose/ heavy on toe pick footwork last season is an example. I am not saying her footwork is not nice, just looks more difficult than what it really is, and style does not translate to edges, speed, and ice coverage.

OTOH, butter feet Yuka executes difficult footwork with ease, speed, ice coverage and makes it look easy.

PS, just my opinion.

Last edited: