Six Weeks to Curtain (Campbell's) | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Six Weeks to Curtain (Campbell's)

patsue47

Rinkside
Joe, I agree--foot work is now the "flavor-of-the month". I expect, because of the overwhelming crowd reaction to Michelle's (and to some extent Sasha's) foot work that many of the other top skaters are going to jump on the bandwagon and incorporate many of the same moves. It remains to be seen just how successful they will be in their endeavors. It's kinda like the "everything old is new again" philosophy. But be that as it may I am really excited to see what the elite skaters can do with this element and especially to see what Michelle and her team will do to improve upon her performances in Aranquez and TFB!

curious

Final Flight
Yuka is such a perfect skater. So good at so many things,Speed,edge,jumps,footwork,artistry etc. She is one of my all time faves.

patsue - Yup. Footwork it is and we will be seeing so much more of it. We must give credit to Yags, too. His footwork wakened the crowds and that's what it is supposed to do. Like a tap dancer, it's those special steps that blow the minds of the audience.

In all respect to Yags, I would say, it was Michelle who took the footwork theme to a flowing movement across the ice. Once you execute 6 triples, and then flow the footwork, you have the cake and icing. Can't beat that recipe.

And with all respect to Yags and Michelle (and of course Morozov), one has to turn to Kurt who was knocking off footwork way back in the eighties. Everyone appreciated it, but none of the competitors picked up on it. Probably because it is icing. And Kurt would fumble his jumps here and there and ruin the cake.

Joe

patsue47

Rinkside
Joe, in agreement with your statements re: Michelle, Yags & Kurt. However, I must add one more name--Scott Hamilton. In their respective "days" each one could light up an audience with their breathtaking speed and control across the ice not to mention the agility with which they demonstrated their complete and total mastery of the art of footwork. Scott has so many programs that are dismissed as being too nonessential by skating purists but oh how the crowds love him-- because his footwork makes what he is protraying on the ice come alive. He is truly a master. And I believe one of Kurt's best programs in a take on Singing in the Rain--the Gene Kelly dance scene--Kurt's use of music, props and emotions is truly a sight to behold. He is truly a master!! Most skaters on the current stage, in my opinion, have a long, long way to go before they can possibly attain the "master" categorization (sp?).

Well said patsue - I remember a ProAm where Kurt had skated incredibly like Gene Kelly and the camera then focused on Ilia who was still an amateur shaking his head in awe. Ilia then became quite a 'show' skater after he joined SOI.

Joe

euterpe

Medalist
I don't expect much from the skaters at this year's Campbell's.
It's their first real competition since World's. Everyone will be trying out a competitive program for the first time.

Last year, no one skated perfectly. It's true that Michelle's program was very rudimentary, but remember at Campbell's '02, she was a last minute substitute for a sick Irina. She literally threw that program together in a matter of days. The only pleasant surprise was AP, who skated beautifully, while Sasha collapsed on a simple spin, and Sarah was slow and lackluster. The men were just plain awful.