Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Six Weeks to Curtain (Campbell's)

Yep It's me!
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Joesitz
    I believe Campbell's is an independent contest sponsored by the people at Campbell's. It's design is by the USFSA and approved by the ISU. Am I correct?

No, it is an USFSA event sponsored by Campbell's. The same way Smart Ones Skate America is a USFSA event sponsored by Smart Ones, and Mastercard Skate Canada is a Skate Canada event sponsored by Mastercard. It can be "designed" by the USFSA however they like, as long as it doesn't violate anything in the ISU rules governing Open Competitions.

SkateAmerica is a USFSA event designed by the USFSA and approved by the ISU. Am I correct?

Not really. It is a USFSA event. But, if they want to stay part of the GP series, it is "designed" if you will by the ISU GP commitee of which the USFSA has an equal voice with the other 5 participants. (Canada, France, Russia, Japan, and now China). Bofrost (Germany) was removed as an GP event this year, but the Germany Federation is still running the competion.

From the two examples above, I would dedeuce that only the design of the two contests are different. Am I correct?

Again, not really. See above post. BTW- there are many different types of competitions approved for elite (or senior) eligible skaters, and still sanctioned by ISU. And many skaters participate. Think France's "Toe Jump" competion for example. They just aren't usually televised.

Presume Hersheys at seasons end is similar to Campbell's.

It is the same type of competition (Open Invitational). Only different sponsor.

Neither Campbell's nor Hersheys is considered for seeding purposes?

Well, no....they are Invitationals, which means, the skaters that go, are the skaters invited. Would be pretty unfair, and easy to manipulate the seeding if they did. Actually, if you want to get really technical, the USFSA doesn't just "invite" these skaters, they "hire "them. Remember a year or so ago when the USFSA was fed up with Todd Elredge's contract demands and withdrew his contract offer for a couple Open's? I can't remember which ones....Hersey's maybe??. The event was in Detroit, and Todd has to watch, not compete in his home town. And last years Yag's still competed in the Open's, even though he was hurt, cause he had already signed his contract for $225,000 (or however much it was?) and he said he needed that money.

Hope that helps

Last edited by Norlite; 08-21-2003 at 08:48 AM.

Not exactly clear! The Campbell's Company sponsors a USFSA event and is given the title for that event. All this, however, must conform with the ISU rules of procedures.

Easy to understand SkateAmerica as a USFSA event as part of the overall Gran Prix which is governed by the rules of all the GP contests leading to the Gran Prix Final.

Individual countries design their own GP event.
    The ISU approves and designs the Final.

This should be it!, Norlite and thanks again.

btw, the GP Committee reminds me of the Security Council of the UN.

Joe

On the Ice
    I don't expect it but I'm sure we are going to see more emphasis on foot work this 2003-2004 season, from a majority of the skaters.

footwork has become the flavor of the month. Now that's something to watch everyone at Campbells.

Joe

Custom Title
    Footwork has always been a high light of a program for me. Some of Scott, Kurt and Yuka's footwork are heavenly. I also love Tara's patriotic program footwork.

It is hard to pull off real nice footwork. I think in the past couple of years, a/ some smart choreographer(s) designed footwork for a/ some skater(s) to hide his/her weakness. In another words, these brilliant choreographers designed footwork that looked more difficult, and also captured on the bravura style of the / these skater(s). Sasha Cohen's start /stop/ pose/ heavy on toe pick footwork last season is an example. I am not saying her footwork is not nice, just looks more difficult than what it really is, and style does not translate to edges, speed, and ice coverage.

OTOH, butter feet Yuka executes difficult footwork with ease, speed, ice coverage and makes it look easy.

PS, just my opinion.
    Last edited by rtureck; 08-21-2003 at 10:46 PM.

On the Ice
    Joe, I agree--foot work is now the "flavor-of-the month". I expect, because of the overwhelming crowd reaction to Michelle's (and to some extent Sasha's) foot work that many of the other top skaters are going to jump on the bandwagon and incorporate many of the same moves. It remains to be seen just how successful they will be in their endeavors. It's kinda like the "everything old is new again" philosophy. But be that as it may I am really excited to see what the elite skaters can do with this element and especially to see what Michelle and her team will do to improve upon her performances in Aranquez and TFB!

Custom Title
    Yuka is such a perfect skater. So good at so many things,Speed,edge,jumps,footwork,artistry etc. She is one of my all time faves.

patsue - Yup. Footwork it is and we will be seeing so much more of it. We must give credit to Yags, too. His footwork wakened the crowds and that's what it is supposed to do. Like a tap dancer, it's those special steps that blow the minds of the audience.

In all respect to Yags, I would say, it was Michelle who took the footwork theme to a flowing movement across the ice. Once you execute 6 triples, and then flow the footwork, you have the cake and icing. Can't beat that recipe.

And with all respect to Yags and Michelle (and of course Morozov), one has to turn to Kurt who was knocking off footwork way back in the eighties. Everyone appreciated it, but none of the competitors picked up on it. Probably because it is icing. And Kurt would fumble his jumps here and there and ruin the cake.

Joe

On the Ice
    Joe, in agreement with your statements re: Michelle, Yags & Kurt. However, I must add one more name--Scott Hamilton. In their respective "days" each one could light up an audience with their breathtaking speed and control across the ice not to mention the agility with which they demonstrated their complete and total mastery of the art of footwork. Scott has so many programs that are dismissed as being too nonessential by skating purists but oh how the crowds love him-- because his footwork makes what he is protraying on the ice come alive. He is truly a master. And I believe one of Kurt's best programs in a take on Singing in the Rain--the Gene Kelly dance scene--Kurt's use of music, props and emotions is truly a sight to behold. He is truly a master!! Most skaters on the current stage, in my opinion, have a long, long way to go before they can possibly attain the "master" categorization (sp?).

Well said patsue - I remember a ProAm where Kurt had skated incredibly like Gene Kelly and the camera then focused on Ilia who was still an amateur shaking his head in awe. Ilia then became quite a 'show' skater after he joined SOI.

Joe

Custom Title
    I don't expect much from the skaters at this year's Campbell's.
    It's their first real competition since World's. Everyone will be trying out a competitive program for the first time.

Last year, no one skated perfectly. It's true that Michelle's program was very rudimentary, but remember at Campbell's '02, she was a last minute substitute for a sick Irina. She literally threw that program together in a matter of days. The only pleasant surprise was AP, who skated beautifully, while Sasha collapsed on a simple spin, and Sarah was slow and lackluster. The men were just plain awful.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2