2008-2009 Programs by Discipline | Page 11 | Golden Skate

2008-2009 Programs by Discipline

lmarie086

Medalist
Mao's new exhibition program by TT just uploaded.
http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=I14jAI0sg_4

Wow thanks for sharing that! She looks amazing, and just is exuding confidence. I'm officially a Mao Asada fan now-it wasn't official before but now it is!

Some more news; it seems KVDP has announced his music for the season.
SP: Night on a Bald Mountain (we'll be hearing a lot of this it seems...)
LP: Safri Duo
http://www.kevinvdperren.com/

mizu_iro

Final Flight
Mao's program is fantastic! She has turned into such a long-limbed, elegant presence on the ice, and Tarasova already seems to be doing a good job with bringing the musicality out of her.

bekalc

Record Breaker
Honestly, I'm not as thrilled with the program as so many of you are.. I mean she is lovely to watch, but I think her arms are too balletic like for this program...

I mean yes the balletic lines work for the softer parts of the music, but when the music gets to the tango, it really doesn't work...

I love Mao she's soo beautiful to watch, but it would be nice to see her branch out a bit, and I don't feel like her interpertation of this program is really doing that.

I mean I hate to do this but compare this to Yu-na's tango program, and I think you can kind of see what I mean.

Still she's very elegant and beautiful.

Medusa

Record Breaker
Honestly, I'm not as thrilled with the program as so many of you are...

I am not really into women's skating, but I am always cheering for Asada and I admire her guts, determination and her beautiful skating. But this program is in my opinion not really outstanding. It's a bit like Voronov's Tango LP last season, it looks good, the elements are great - but it is a good program skated to some Tango music - and not really a Tango in my opinion. I don't get the Tango feeling.

Love Takahashi's program so much more - what a cracker!
Takahashi DOI New SP

fourclover

On the Ice
I saw Mao's exhibition to my favorite tango music. It's deja vu all over again: great very famous music, stunning costume, lovely steps, BUT not really getting the feeling she's skating to the music (except for her step sequences). The choreography didn't look like it was for this music. I think Yu-na could do a better job to this music, NOT because she's better than Mao but because Yu-na is more of a tango-music-kind-of skater and she interprets music better. Let me guess. Orser and Wilson are gonna come up with less than flattering costume and some elevator music for Yu-na as always ... So sad. Why don't they learn something from Mao's coach and choreographer.

Last edited:

fiercemao

Match Penalty
I am not really into women's skating, but I am always cheering for Asada and I admire her guts, determination and her beautiful skating. But this program is in my opinion not really outstanding. It's a bit like Voronov's Tango LP last season, it looks good, the elements are great - but it is a good program skated to some Tango music - and not really a Tango in my opinion. I don't get the Tango feeling.

Takahashi DOI New SP

I agree. It's NOT a tango. Mao is becoming a generic 'pretty' skater. Going to TT is bad, bad idea.

Love_Skate

Rinkside

Takahashi DOI New SP

Ya... I couldn't feel it, either... If you put other non-tango music to her new choreography except for her footsteps, it could match!
I thought tango music is very unique... ;)

Takahashi DOI New SP
I do not think Mao's program ever had the feeling of being competitive. I think it was done as an entertainment, and I was entertined.

I watched Takahashi's yourube which was meant for competititve purposes by a Japanes choreographer. I thought it was fine. The music is quite wild and then the use of the wild arms are justified but I thought that would be standard. How it stacks up against Joubert's, Buttle's and Weir, remain to be seen.

Medusa

Record Breaker
I do not think Mao's program ever had the feeling of being competitive. I think it was done as an entertainment, and I was entertined.

I watched Takahashi's yourube which was meant for competititve purposes by a Japanes choreographer. I thought it was fine. The music is quite wild and then the use of the wild arms are justified but I thought that would be standard. How it stacks up against Joubert's, Buttle's and Weir, remain to be seen.

I was also talking about being entertained, and I wasn't much entertained. I do lots of ballroom dancing and the Tango is one of my best and favourites - and Mao's Tango just didn't seem "complete" to me - as I said, the elements were great, the steps seemed appropriate - but I missed conviction, the tango feeling...

Takahashi sold his program. He was the program. He reminded me of Yagudin, who could also sell most programs - even if the program itself seemed a bit generic. And the arm movements could have looked ridiculous and overly wild - but in my opinion they just didn't because they were so in character with the program, with the conviction and power Takahashi had on the ice. It also helped that every jump looked perferct, amazingly incorporated in the program - I was blown away...

I especially loved the one moment before the final step sequence, where Takahashi relaxed a bit and the music was very quiet, but I was full of expectation, I just knew that everything that followed would be incredible - and then Takahashi burst into these final steps - love it!!! And that moment isn't really about choreography, you can't choreograph that moment - you can help to prepare it, but the skater has to have the conviction, the self-confidence and the understanding for music and program to really create and live that moment.

Last edited:
I was always annoyed with Skate Dance for not following the moves of all the ballroom dances until finallly it hit me that they are just using the rhythms of the dances, not the steps. So I am more laid back on exact ballroom dance than I was.

My first impression of YuNa was that she is a better presenter of Free Skating than Mao, but my point is that Mao has improved tremendously in that area. Now I would like to see a recent exhibition of YuNa to see if Mao is really catching up.. Anyone have a youtube of YuNa in a recent exhibition?

Ms.Anthrope

On the Ice
My first impression of YuNa was that she is a better presenter of Free Skating than Mao, but my point is that Mao has improved tremendously in that area. Now I would like to see a recent exhibition of YuNa to see if Mao is really catching up.. Anyone have a youtube of YuNa in a recent exhibition?

I just got around to watching Mao's tango exhibition program, and I do understand what some posters are saying about it being a "pretty" program but not really wowed by it. I think it is a beautiful program & Mao skates beautifully, but she could have skated to any other music. If you stop trying to "tango" in that program, you'll enjoy it more! I did. My favorite ballroom dances are tango & quickstep. It's my understanding that tango is first and foremost a very passionate sexy dance, and it is also a very "masculine" dance.

Mao skates it so beautifully but I don't think she really feels the music. She skates "to" the music and not "with" the music, but she is getting so much better at presenting it to the audience than from a few years ago. She just seems a bit more connected this time where as I felt that music was always secondary to her even last year. Does that make sense?

I did a search on Youtube of YuNa's recent exhibition performance, and I think she has improved even more in presentation this year. She looks like she's getting more comfortable projecting to the audience. Her first number is that snooze worthy Mandy Moore's pop song, but YuNa hits every note. Her second number(encore) is "Just a Girl", a number I always felt uncomfortable watching because YuNa seems so uncomfortable skating it. I was really surprised this time because it just felt so different, and I think it's because she is really starting to understand the performing side of presenting her program.

http://tinyurl.com/5jnk3m

Love_Skate

Rinkside
I did a search on Youtube of YuNa's recent exhibition performance, and I think she has improved even more in presentation this year. She looks like she's getting more comfortable projecting to the audience. Her first number is that snooze worthy Mandy Moore's pop song, but YuNa hits every note. Her second number(encore) is "Just a Girl", a number I always felt uncomfortable watching because YuNa seems so uncomfortable skating it. I was really surprised this time because it just felt so different, and I think it's because she is really starting to understand the performing side of presenting her program.

http://tinyurl.com/5jnk3m

I remember that she said in an interview that she was uncomfortable with the costume she wore during "Just a Girl" last season, which she didn't wear in the clip you watched. It might affect. For me, it is no suprise that she skated so expressively with "Only Hope" and "Just a Girl" this time because one of my favorites is her "Reflection" in 06-07 season. :thumbsup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHPg2Ak-_Xo

Last edited:

Sulphur

Spectator
Has anyone seen and/or heard about the current men's champ's new programs? Or just the music? He's been quite around the media since Worlds but no clue about the new programs.. At least we know he should prepare two new competitive programs though. lol

vlaurend

Final Flight
Mao is looking soooo good. She's dancing to each beat of the music and with rhythm. Her flexibility is the best in the world, imo. She will be the skater to beat for gold in the forthcoming season.

I don't know any Japanese but she sounded so modest in the interview. Lovely.

That video link has been removed. Is it the same as this one?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtEiiL2iWnk

If it's the same clip, then what Mao says in her interview is that she is the only ladies' singles skater Tarasova is choreographing a program for this season, so she feels like she is getting a lot of personal direction from her and that will make her stronger. The TV show commentators are talking about her transformation this season into more of a mature lady rather than a girl, both in her costume and makeup. They also point out the recent string of Olympic gold medals won by Tarasova's skaters.

tripper

Spectator

If it's the same clip, then what Mao says in her interview is that she is the only ladies' singles skater Tarasova is choreographing a program for this season, so she feels like she is getting a lot of personal direction from her and that will make her stronger. The TV show commentators are talking about her transformation this season into more of a mature lady rather than a girl, both in her costume and makeup. They also point out the recent string of Olympic gold medals won by Tarasova's skaters.

If it's the same clip, ...

I think it's not the same clip.
That link was Mao's new exhibition and interview after the exhibition.

nippponophile

Rinkside
Takahashi sold his program. He was the program. He reminded me of Yagudin, who could also sell most programs - even if the program itself seemed a bit generic. And the arm movements could have looked ridiculous and overly wild - but in my opinion they just didn't because they were so in character with the program, with the conviction and power Takahashi had on the ice. It also helped that every jump looked perferct, amazingly incorporated in the program - I was blown away...

I especially loved the one moment before the final step sequence, where Takahashi relaxed a bit and the music was very quiet, but I was full of expectation, I just knew that everything that followed would be incredible - and then Takahashi burst into these final steps - love it!!! And that moment isn't really about choreography, you can't choreograph that moment - you can help to prepare it, but the skater has to have the conviction, the self-confidence and the understanding for music and program to really create and live that moment.

Medusa, I know the exact moment you're talking about. I was at Dreams on Ice to see him do it live, and I actually shrieked loudly with delight as he burst into that final, magnificent step sequence. So loudly, in fact that you can actually hear me in the Japanese broadcast. THIS is the kind of program that I live for, but so rarely see in figure skating - everything fits, is in perfect harmony with the timing and mood of the music and allows the skater full reign to display their strengths. Daisuke looke sooooo confident skating it, and it's obvious that he enjoys this new program too. Can't WAIT to see his new free!!:clap::bow:

lmarie086

Medalist
The Kerrs have announced their music for the upcoming season, and let me just say...:rock:
OD-'The boogie bumper' and 'Minnie the Moocher' by Big Bad Voodoo Daddy.
FD-'Ruled by Secrecy' by Muse.
Cannot wait to see these programs!!

And Yukari Nakano!
The music of SP for 2008/2009 season: “Romance” from “The Gadfly Suite” by D. Shostakovich
Choreography: Marina Zueva
All I can say is...:biggrin: