2008-2009 Programs by Discipline | Page 20 | Golden Skate

2008-2009 Programs by Discipline

lmarie086

Medalist
Hasn't been announced yet. Their's is what I'm most impatient to hear about, along with V/M; it's killing me lol! I'd really like to see innovative programs from both of them this season.

Someone will most likely post it in the 2008-2009 Programs thread when it is announced. :)

~tapdancer

On the Ice
I'm about to bust, too, waiting for this! And V/M, too. Like IMarie086 said, keep watching the program thread, that's where all the news has been being posted. Hopefully we'll hear soon!

all that

Final Flight
I have a feeling the music for either team won't be announced until September -- probably right before V/M skate at the Canadian national test camp -- unless D/W compete somewhere before then.

Phobiamaster856

Rinkside
SP Music: "Un Ange"
FS Music: Vivaldi's "Concerto Grosso No. 11 in D minor" performed by the BBC Philharmonic Orchestra and Tomaso Giovanni Albinoni's "Adagio in G minor" performed by the Eroica Trio Orchestra

Kimmie's music.

I can't wait to see Kimmie's programs I'm kind of upset that she chose Lori Nichol to do them again because IMO i don't think Lori can find a style for kimmie. Kimmie is still trying to develop her artistry while it takes Mao Yuna and Ashley just a couple of months. Who knows I could be wrong but it would be great if she one day works with Tarasova

bethissoawesome

On the Ice
Here's a repost of Mao's new exhibition... taken from the June 28th show in Japan. I noticed the other link was dead.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=BXNwCjsB1lQ

Out of curiosity, has Mao hurt her back? It might just be the choreography or not wanting to be strained, but I noticed that she does a layback with the low foot position (which she nearly never does), none of her single handed biellmann spins which are her trademark, and the one biellmann in her spiral looks a bit labored and not her usual arch. Any ideas?

inskate

On the Ice
Out of curiosity, has Mao hurt her back? It might just be the choreography or not wanting to be strained, but I noticed that she does a layback with the low foot position (which she nearly never does),

In this EX she is doing a side-layback, for which it would be extremely difficult to maintain a "classic" foot position. I don't think I've seen a skater who could do that.
Mao's side-layback actually improved 200%. Even since her growth spurt she had truobles getting into this position and constantly had her layback downgraded because of missing side-layback feature.
Here you can compare Mao's side layback at 4CC and now:
http://img75.imageshack.us/img75/5261/maosidelayback01dn8.jpg
Previously her back arch wasn't very deep in the side position and she leaned more to the front than to the side. Her free leg was also turned to the front rather than turned out.
She said in an interview after Worlds that she thinks of spins as her weakness (especially practicing layback made her feel sick :) ) and she plans to work on them thoroughly during the off-season. I assume that Tarasova put this side-layback in Mao's gala program because she wanted Mao to get used to the new position :).

none of her single handed biellmann spins which are her trademark,

She stopped doing them back in 06/07 season and replaced with both-hands-on-the-blade Biellman, a tighter position which allows her to rotate faster, which is important as acceleration is one of the features for a higher level. Putting both hands on the blade actually requires more flexibility, unless a skater can do a cross Biellman (catching right blade with left hand (or the other way around) Mao could). She did one-handed Biellman in a few exhibitions after that time though.

and the one biellmann in her spiral looks a bit labored and not her usual arch. Any ideas?

I think it's just the angle, it looked OK on the photos. Maybe because she entered it on higher speed than usual and it was a back spiral she could have a bit of problems with maintaining balance, but I didn't notice anything out of ordinary. :)

bibi

On the Ice
I think it's just the angle, it looked OK on the photos. Maybe because she entered it on higher speed than usual and it was a back spiral she could have a bit of problems with maintaining balance, but I didn't notice anything out of ordinary.
Actually, I think it's because she used her weaker leg to do the biellman position. This season, in her spirals (except for the 2nd spiral at SC, TEB and GPF which looked the same as in her Tango program) and spins, she used the right leg and in the Tango program for the back spirals she used her left leg, which is, I think her less flexible leg to do biellman positions.

bethissoawesome

On the Ice
Actually, I think it's because she used her weaker leg to do the biellman position. This season, in her spirals (except for the 2nd spiral at SC, TEB and GPF which looked the same as in her Tango program) and spins, she used the right leg and in the Tango program for the back spirals she used her left leg, which is, I think her less flexible leg to do biellman positions.

I wonder why she would switch. For awhile it seemed like all Mao focused on was flexibility and improving her artistry. I think she has great artistry now in a very unique way. But I really hope she isn't injured and that there isn't a problem making her use a weaker leg or getting rid of moves that require flexibility (although, sometimes I feel like if I see another Biellmann, I might vomit. Especially when, it's (what I like to call) a Kimmie Meissner Biellmann hehe). I'm going to rewatch it, as well as her programs from the last two seasons.

inskate

On the Ice
bibi said:

I know - I was comparing Mao's Tango spiral to the one she used to do in her LP. :)

I wonder why she would switch.

She was doing this very spiral (just the nad position was different) this season in her LP at Skate Canada, TEB, GPF and Nationals. It is a requirement to do spirals on both feet and in both directions. :)

But I really hope she isn't injured and that there isn't a problem making her use a weaker leg

In every program, including this one, Mao usually does spirals on both legs. :) Usually she does the forward spiral on her left leg and back spiral on her right.
Actually, I'd hesitate to call her right leg a weaker one - on right leg she does the fan spiral, one of her trademark moves. (http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/7873/fan01nl6.jpg & http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/4741/fan02dt2.jpg)

or getting rid of moves that require flexibility

I've been watching Mao's programs with great attention :) and I think her flexibility is improving. While watching the tango EX I've never had a feeling that Mao is giving up something; rather than that she is trying new things (new side-layback, broken camel, forward scratch, split jumps). Her side layback really improved a lot, as you can see in the screencap I posted previously, and her Biellman wasn't any worse than in her LP's. I think it actually is an improvement since 06-07 season, since back then when she did a spiral on her right leg it was usually a back catch-foot, not Biellman.

Here are a few recent photos:

Getting into a Biellman position

Supported Arabesque

Supported Arabesque 2

Unsupported arabesque: http://www.motionbox.com/video/player/d490d4b01017e25c (at 0:19)

A split jump

bibi

On the Ice
Actually, I'd hesitate to call her right leg a weaker one - on right leg she does the fan spiral, one of her trademark moves. (http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/7873/fan01nl6.jpg & http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/4741/fan02dt2.jpg)
As a figure skater, I know that for all types of spirals, we have a better leg. I meant that for biellman position, her right leg is weaker. But I agree with you that her right leg is her good one for fan spiral and Y spiral. That's absolutely normal.
If you look at this picture: http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/3323/russiansplit01gc5.jpg
You can see that if she was doing a spiral, her right leg would be the better one. But looking at the same picture, it's also easy to see that her left leg would be the better to choose to do her Y spiral ! Mao is so flexible that we get confused! lol!

Last edited:

bethissoawesome

On the Ice
*Phew* I looked back on Mao's old programs. You guys are right. Her side layback is lovely, and it is nice to see her doing new things... I guess I'm just not used to seeing it. I really love Mao's extension on her spiral (split position, not Biellman)... I wish she would do that more without the extra hand support from switching between positions. I prefer her spirals to Sasha's as I think the carriage of her upper body is higher and not quite as dipped towards the ground. Speaking of spirals... I wish someone would do the change of edge Y spiral (dropping the hand) that Shizuka did at the Olympics. That was absolutely jaw-dropping.

Eevun

Final Flight
Taken from icenetwork (I'll edit with link to the article)

Johnny Weir
SP: "On the Wings of Time" by Saint-Preux
LP: music from French-Canadian musical "Notre Dame de Paris"
and I'm assuming that choreography is done by Nina Petrenko because I read that somewhere here on the board before.

I totally L.O.V.E On the Wings of Time!! I've listen to it I don't know how many times by now :love: It went straight to my heart the first time... I'm touched to tears. I will love Johnny even more this year (I thought it wasn't possible, but it was :love: ). This music is perfect for him, this music IS Johnny.

Last edited:

Pikachuusb

On the Ice
Bebe Liang
SP music: "The Sorcerer's Apprentice" by Paul Dukas
FS music: Selections from the Memoirs of a Geisha by John Williams

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Bebe Liang
SP music: "The Sorcerer's Apprentice" by Paul Dukas
FS music: Selections from the Memoirs of a Geisha by John Williams

I am so happy too see the announced these! Her SP from last year was perfect, she should not change it! Very interested to see what she will do with Memoirs of Geisha. Just beautiful music on that soundtrack, a lot of emotion.

merrybari

Final Flight
From another board.

Evan Lysacek

SP: "Bolero" Ravel

LP: "Rhapsody in Blue" Gershwin

This is also posted on Icenetwork under the Skaters/bio information page. As far as I' know, there's no official announcement other than that so far.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what he and TT have come up with for these. Should be pretty spectacular, IMO.