2008-2009 Programs by Discipline | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2008-2009 Programs by Discipline

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Abott's choices are perfect. I am so happy that he chose great music again. his freeskate this past year had all my favorite waltzes in it and it was wonderfully choreographed.

He's currently scheduled to compete in two club comps -- at the Broadmoor Open at the end of June and at Liberty in mid-July. :rock:
I am looking forward to seeing this young man skate this season. Lot's of talent there.

Sylvia. Any news of Liberty?

Joe

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Any news of Liberty?
July 15-19 (Tue.-Sat.), 2008 at the IceWorks Skating Complex in Aston, PA (near Philly). It's too early for me to start a separate thread about which elite skaters are planning to compete at Liberty this year, but I can do so when I've compiled more info.

Let's try and keep this thread on topic in the meantime. :)

U.S. novice pairs champions Brynn Carman/Christopher Knierim (who will debut on the JGP this fall) have updated their official site with their junior program info:
Short Program
A Russian folkdance

Free Skate
"City Slickers" soundtrack (modified version of their novice program)
ETA: C/K's scheduled summer comps, as listed on their site, are Broadmoor Open, Skate Detroit (the week after Liberty) and Indy Challenge in August.

Last edited:
Reasons to go to Liberty: In addition to Jeremy Abbot, there is Carman/Kniernen, the Pairs Team that is bringing this discipline back to the US. Check out the Exhibitions of 2008 Nats. They are Good!

Joe

lmarie086

Medalist
There appears to be a rumor that S&S will use music from "Schindler's List" for their LP. I lurve the music from that movie, so a great choice in my book.

Medusa

Record Breaker
Considering Ingo's ties to the Stasi -- this seems like a really baaad idea.

1. What has the Stasi to do with Schindler? Granted, we are talking about two totalitarian regimes here - but come on, there is a difference between the Nazi-regime and the DDR.

2. Steuer collaborated with the DDR-regime - as have thousands of thousands other Germans. So he is not allowed to compose a program that celebrates a man who was one of the very few wise and brave enough withstand the Nazi-doctrine? How is that logical?

3. S/S (somehow this abbreviation seems very unfortunate in this context) skating to Schindlers Liste is, in my opinion, a way to honour and appreciate this great and interesting man, a way to acknowledge history! It's also fantastic music.

4. Yagudin skated to Revolutionary Etude, which was composed by Chopin, who was Polish, during the November Uprising in Poland. At time Poland was occupied by Russia (and Prussia and Austria of course), it tried to free itself from Russian rule - that didn't work out, the Russians sent a big big army, lots of Polish soldiers died. Chopin wrote the Etude to express his grief, his frustration and the helplessness he felt because of this failed revolution. And Yagudin, a Russian, skated to it. And nobody cared.

5. Wagner was anti-Semitic. But lots of people listen to his music and Jeff Buttle skated to it. The Godfather is practically a movie that glorifies violence, murder and criminal activities - never stopped people from skating to the soundtrack. Romeo and Juliet promotes teenage marriage, disobedience towards the parents, violence and suicide. Lots of music choices can be somehow controversial.

6. Katharina Witt skated to Schindlers Liste, and she never spoke against the DDR or its regime.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
you know what? it's a piece of music. It's haunting and beautiful... and I say more power to them.

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
Paul Wylie also skated to Schindler's List and it's still one of my favorite programs. I think Aliona & Robin could do a really wonderful job with that haunting music so I kind of hope that rumor is correct. They can almost skate to anything right now though. They are so talented. :)

eleonora.d

On the Ice
I think it's a good choice. Powerful and meaningful, a bit sad but I'm sure their interpretation will be awesome!

I can't understand why it shouldn't be skated. what is that? Like an american can do it and a german or an italian cannot?
I don't think so. On the contrary, could be a chance to express something more with their art besides skating, a meaning, an idea, a feeling..

Last edited:

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am so excited for Jeremy Abbott's and Aliona and Robin's programs. Is it really 5 more long months until the new season really heats up? :( I can't wait!

krenseby

Final Flight
Does anyone have any advance info on Zhang's programs for next season?

I am really curious about the programs Caroline Zhang plans to skate next year. I would like to see if she will start off the season with some major improvements to attempt to become more competitive at the Nationals stage against Mirai, Rachael, and perhaps even Ashley, who has been inconsistent but still poses a threat to Caroline. (Kimmie might make that list as well if she gains her jumps back.)

Anyhow, was anyone lucky enough to get a preview or obtain some advance info on her programs? If so, please give me the scoop. I'd like to see if her speed has improved, if she has added more turns and twists to her choreography and whether she has attempted to cut down on the preparation time for her jumps. (So far you she really slows down when she prepares for a jump and that really makes her skating seem less professional.)

Oldies

Rinkside
I hear from a friend of mine who skates down in SoCal that she skated a new exhibition today at the All Year competition.

poppy

Rinkside
There appears to be a rumor that S&S will use music from "Schindler's List" for their LP. I lurve the music from that movie, so a great choice in my book.

What a great, great news!!!!!!!! Perfect choise for them!(or at least I hope so)

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
My super-duper top secret sources say that Caroline will skate to music without vocals that everyone will say is too slow. :biggrin:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
My super-duper top secret sources say that Caroline will skate to music without vocals that everyone will say is too slow. :biggrin:

Well everybody will be skating to something without vocals....unless they want deductions.

There are so many good choices for Caroline. I thought that her SP last season was pretty much perfect and I feel that she should do somthing as lively and full of personality for her Freeskate next year. Off the top of my head, Rondo Capricssio would be excellent, or Violin Concerto in B Minor by Saint -Seans. Athough it is more gentle, I would love to see her skate to Daphnis et Chloe. The music from that work is really good and not overused.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=VI4CmgeJ0fI

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-HQyXWkABo0

http://youtube.com/watch?v=GBLdMySuaEg

of course she could do a ballet very beautifully. " The Swan " is very pretty, and not as overdone as "Swan Lake." it would make a great SP.

AwesomeIce

Match Penalty
Well everybody will be skating to something without vocals....unless they want deductions.

There are so many good choices for Caroline. I thought that her SP last season was pretty much perfect and I feel that she should do somthing as lively and full of personality for her Freeskate next year. Off the top of my head, Rondo Capricssio would be excellent, or Violin Concerto in B Minor by Saint -Seans. Athough it is more gentle, I would love to see her skate to Daphnis et Chloe. The music from that work is really good and not overused.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=VI4CmgeJ0fI

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-HQyXWkABo0

http://youtube.com/watch?v=GBLdMySuaEg

of course she could do a ballet very beautifully. " The Swan " is very pretty, and not as overdone as "Swan Lake." it would make a great SP.

I don't think that Caroline has the on-ice personality for a lively piece of music. She has virtually no facial expression at all, and her skating is the same regardless of her music choices. But maybe she just needs to find the right music to push her.