2008-2009 Programs by Discipline | Page 9 | Golden Skate

2008-2009 Programs by Discipline

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
It's already been quoted so it's on the thread anyways, but another poster asked me to delete the post reporting Yuna's music. I probably shouldn't have deleted the whole post, so I'm going to repeat some of it here.
Both Yuna and Cynthia where working on Choreography with David Wilson in Vaughn where I was taking a course earlier this week. I only saw them working on their LPs and I didn't get to see a full run through of either program unfortunately. Both pieces of music are familiar ones. Cynthia's program is elegant, similar in style to her LP last season. It includes a nice footwork sequence. Yuna's program is quite dramatic, the parts I saw, and very detailed. There is one section that is a gorgeous edgy bit that looks really good. From the parts I saw, both programs look like they suit the skaters well, Yuna's looks particularly good.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
So, Yuna did land triple Lutz-triple Toe?
I have never heard her practicing it before.

If she can land two 3/3's in a program she will be unbeatable. I think she already is unbeatable when she is clean.

inskate

On the Ice
Actually, I don't think it would change anything point-wise.. She already has her jump layout sort of maxed out, with 3F-3T and 2A-3T. If she replaced 2A with 3Lz, she would have to do 2A instead of solo 3Lz, and she already has 2 of those (3 if she does not do loop).

I think that, even if clean, she can be very much challenged by Mao. Mao used to lose a lot of GoEs because of 2-footing her jumps, but she fixed that. Her jumps became cleaner and higher since 4CC, too. At Worlds, in spite of 2 big mistakes, her GoEs were very close to YuNa's (in LP). ANd she has definitely the most challenging jump layout ever.

This will be an interesting season. :)

Do I read this right...so far no Carmen, Tosca or Romeo and Juliet!!! Can this be?? Please let it be so!!!

Nobunari has a new exhibition to Tosca... But the music edit is quite original and IMHO gorgeous. :love:

cassieandcheetah

On the Ice
If she can land two 3/3's in a program she will be unbeatable. I think she already is unbeatable when she is clean.

Does anyone know what chance Mao has at fixing her flutz? because if she does, I think she'll be as unbeatable as YuNa. I also heard she's bringing back her salchow....So I think at this point YuNa really needs to have a second triple-triple.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
By "fixing" I assume you mean getting onto the outside edge. The chances of this are slim. VERY few skaters completely stop flutzing. I think you start fluzing early, you really can't lose it without losing your lutz... something mao, or really anybody can't risk. All the skaters with a good outside edge have always had it.

And Mao adding her salchow (which I think personally will disappear from the program by the GPF) is not a big threat. the salchow is worth the least of the triples, and depending on the other jumping passes she has plans, she might lose points vs. gaining them because you are only allowed 7 triples, 4 of which she uses in 3/3 combos.

inskate

On the Ice
Does anyone know what chance Mao has at fixing her flutz?

I think she can do it. She managed to fix her other jumps problems pretty quickly - like toe-axeling and 2-footing. After not landing or practicing 3S for many (3-4?) years, she managed to land it cleanly (in practice, so far) after just weeks of practice.
There are skaters who managed to fix their wrong edge take off, and (IMHO) the best lutz jumper in history flutzed until the age of 17.

the salchow is worth the least of the triples, and depending on the other jumping passes she has plans, she might lose points vs. gaining them because you are only allowed 7 triples, 4 of which she uses in 3/3 combos.

This is not true. You are allowed 7 jumping passes and you can repeat only 2 triples. This means that ladies who do not have 3A can indeed do only 7 triples (provided they have a 3-3), but Mao has 3A (and is tentatively planning to attempt 3A combo this season), so she can do 8 triples, and having 3S would help greatly.
Theoretically, her jump layout could look like this:

3A-2T-2L
3A
3F-3T
3Lz
3S
3F-3L
2A

Of course, this borders on impossible because of the stamina issue, but even if Mao would repeat loop or (if fixed) lutz instead of 3A, the base value would be huge, especially considering the increased value of 3A.

Last edited:

merrybari

Final Flight
It's still early! Evan's already done Tosca and Carmen, maybe he's planning R and J? ;)

Keep in mind, Evan has said his choreographers choose his music and he's working with TT as I type. I suspect whatever is chosen it'll become his own.

He's said he's looking for a new perspective and direction for his skating. I for one am eager to see what it'll be.

Last edited:

TtonyV7

On the Ice
Just a correction.

Triple Salchow is not the least reward triple (4.5), the Triple Toe is (4.0).

I agree that having the salchow will benefit Asada in a 8-triple program.

fourclover

On the Ice
ewwwww, I hate Yu-na's LP music. It's the long, boring, stringy music again. I'm so disappointed at her music choice. What is Brian Orser thinking???? Yu-na's SP music is better. Still, Mao has even better SP music in Claire de Lune. Mao's camp is smart - they always pick music that are easy on the ears. Scheharaz- whatever - I don't even care to pronounce it right, is AGAIN, the galling, schizophrenic cat- like string music. I'm SOOO disappointed. Why can't she skate to something like Madame Butterfly or Oblivion Tango - something romantic that suits her style?? Does anyone know Brian Orser or David Wilson's email address so I can tell them what I think?

Also, I HOPE they come up with a nice costume for Yu-na this year:sheesh: GO STRAPLESS or HALTER NECK GUYS.

fourclover

On the Ice
OMG, Mao's LP is Khatchaturian's Masquerade. Such an excellent choice of music with lot of inflections and just the right balance of lyrical elements. I can see Mao skating to it already. Yu-na's LP music must go. Somebody email Orser and Wilson. They did it with Yu-na's LP music in 2007, they can't ruin it for her again in 2008.

cassieandcheetah

On the Ice
OMG, Mao's LP is Khatchaturian's Masquerade. Such an excellent choice of music with lot of inflections and just the right balance of lyrical elements. I can see Mao skating to it already. Yu-na's LP music must go. Somebody email Orser and Wilson. They did it with Yu-na's LP music in 2007, they can't ruin it for her again in 2008.

I guess you're not a fan of vaughn williams. I thought Lark Ascending was exquisite, much like Michelle's lyra angelica, but even better. Miss saigon I thought was a dud, like elevator music.

Last edited:

fourclover

On the Ice
I guess you're not a fan of vaughn williams. I thought Lark Ascending was exquisite, much like Michelle's lyra angelica, but even better. Miss saigon I thought was a dud, like elevator music.

I didn't like Lark Ascending OR Miss Saigon but if I had to pick one, it'd be Miss Saigon. Scherharazade must go. Replace it they must, with either Romeo and Juliet or Madame Butterfly or Tango Jalousie or Oblivion Tango. Whatever except that AWFUL music!

antmanb

Record Breaker
I think she can do it. She managed to fix her other jumps problems pretty quickly - like toe-axeling and 2-footing. After not landing or practicing 3S for many (3-4?) years, she managed to land it cleanly (in practice, so far) after just weeks of practice.
There are skaters who managed to fix their wrong edge take off, and (IMHO) the best lutz jumper in history flutzed until the age of 17.

Just out of interest which skater are you referring to?

Ant

kandidy

Final Flight
ewwwww, I hate Yu-na's LP music. It's the long, boring, stringy music again. I'm so disappointed at her music choice. What is Brian Orser thinking???? Yu-na's SP music is better. Still, Mao has even better SP music in Claire de Lune. Mao's camp is smart - they always pick music that are easy on the ears. Scheharaz- whatever - I don't even care to pronounce it right, is AGAIN, the galling, schizophrenic cat- like string music. I'm SOOO disappointed. Why can't she skate to something like Madame Butterfly or Oblivion Tango - something romantic that suits her style?? Does anyone know Brian Orser or David Wilson's email address so I can tell them what I think?

Also, I HOPE they come up with a nice costume for Yu-na this year:sheesh: GO STRAPLESS or HALTER NECK GUYS.

Be optimistic. It might be good. No matter how good music is, if the skater does not deliver the program or corporate to the music, no meaning. I always like Sasha's program no matter how often it is being used.

Last edited:

eleonora.d

On the Ice
I don't have much clear, which music Yu Na is going to skate to for the SP.
Anyway I don't think Sheherazade is boring, it's a wonderful piece of music.
The problem is, none of these girls wants to be innovative, I'm sorry about this. :indiff:

I don't have much clear, which music Yu Na is going to skate to for the SP.
Anyway I don't think Sheherazade is boring, it's a wonderful piece of music.
The problem is, none of these girls wants to be innovative, I'm sorry about this. :indiff:
I agree on innovation, but I would say just about all skaters have nothing to say about the use of the 'warhorse music'. Most skaters do the familiar technical and perhaps add a little touch of their own for presentation. The Ravel's Bolero allowd Kwan to put her signature on this tune along with many others, and Kwan skated it in her inimitable style with the usual Tech, but it did not surpass any other attempts with this repetitive music. Torvahl and Dean are the 'sit up and watch' something to this music that's never been done before.

Don Q - Has any other male or female done this better than John Curry?

Carmen - Hasn't everyone done this at some time, (and all of them look the same)?

I could go on about all the 'war horse' music being used but I believe there is one definitive version of each by a superior skater. Expecting more from a new user is wishful thinking in my opinion. But hey, prove me wrong.