Irina Slutskaya | Golden Skate

Irina Slutskaya

kalle

On the Ice
Do you think Irina Slutskaya will be back for next season?Has she "officially" retired yet or is she considering a comeback?

On the other hand, do you know any skater who has had a baby and regained a spot on the World's podium?Do you think she has a chance with the way COP looks for the moment?Any recent news?

A video from last March:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-_6fM1CxiQ

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
I haven't heard about Irina making any official announcement, one way or the other (maybe, she and Michelle will discuss a joint announcement?) Katya Gordeeva and Tatiana Navka both won their OGMs after having had children, so it may be possible. However, they haven't had heart problems as does Irina -- and neither are singles skaters, so maybe (if Irina does come back) she will be the first.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I understood that Slutskaya wants to do TV work and won't be competing again. She turns 30 in less than a year, she's had medical problems in the past, and is of course a new mom. I can't see it happening - singles skating is just too demanding and she seems ready to move on to other things.

Kasey

Medalist
She's doing some of Averbukh tour shows, and could possibly be affiliated with his television show again this season. I think the burdens of eligible training and travel may be too much for her at this point, but from all reports, she looks healthy in the shows and appears to be enjoying herself, which is most important.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Katya Gordeeva and Tatiana Navka both won their OGMs after having had children, so it may be possible. However, they haven't had heart problems as does Irina -- and neither are singles skaters, so maybe (if Irina does come back) she will be the first.

I would put more money on Irina's return vs. Michelle/Sasha.

that being said, I agree that having a baby is not a death sentence concerning skating, but I HIGHLY doubt that she will return. She must be 30 years old, or close to it, and seems like a realist. She must realize that an Olympic Silver and Bronze are not at all shabby and that she could not possibly do better in 2010. She already has many National titles, At least one world title...i think she will do more ice shows in russia and get on with her life with her family.

Snowgirl

On the Ice
IrIna will not return and will never speculate on the possibility of it just to get attention like
Plushenko does. She takes part in both Averbukh and Plushenko tours, she recently tried herself as a theatre actress and never mentions a comeback. She moved on already.

kalle

On the Ice
Thank you for the news.If she has "moved" on with her career, why no "official" statement?
The same applies for Sasha and Michelle...well, in the case of Sasha it seems to be her way of keeping the media attention but for Irina and Michelle?
I always thought that Michelle wanted to finish her career on a good note and that's why I still think that she eventually will try to shape up for a last showing but Irina is a question mark!
Good for her that she has new opportunities in her career but it seems a bit odd with no statement saying that she will not compete again...I guess I am still too nostalgic regarding these skaters:)

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I get the feeling that many skaters never make an official statement - they just take some "time off" and turn their focus to other pursuits, and we as fans can eventually draw the obvious conclusions...

I can't see MK coming back and getting the same results she used to in the past - technically she probably won't get the same content in as some of the current group, which would really hurt her under CoP. Considering her record, why would she need to come back? Her accomlishments speak for themselves, there's no need for any sort of a farewell tour :).

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
As long as they don't violate their federation's 'rules' for maintaining eligibility, skaters can still return to competitive skating, so there is no need for skaters to 'announce' retirement from the eligible ranks. Some retirees have never made such an announcement (Sarah Hughes and Irina Slutskaya), and it looks as if Sasha and Michelle will go the same route.

As long as they don't violate their federation's 'rules' for maintaining eligibility, skaters can still return to competitive skating, so there is no need for skaters to 'announce' retirement from the eligible ranks. Some retirees have never made such an announcement (Sarah Hughes and Irina Slutskaya), and it looks as if Sasha and Michelle will go the same route.
Chuck - Since there is no such thing as 'amateur skater' why would anyone announce that they are retiring from 'eligible' skating?

I'm guessing they must pay dues to the Federation to remain eligible.

Joe