Christine Zukowski | Golden Skate

Christine Zukowski

EWalker

On the Ice
CHRISTINE ZUKOWSKI ANNOUNCES RETIREMENT FROM COMPETITIVE FIGURE SKATING

Colorado Springs, Colo. (April 28, 2008) – Christine Zukowski, the 2004 U.S. novice champion, 2005 U.S. junior silver medalist and 2006 World Junior bronze medalist, recently announced her retirement from competitive skating. In her most recent appearance on the ice, Zukowski placed 10th at the 2007 State Farm U.S. Figure Skating Championships in Spokane , Wash.

Zukowski suffered a lower back injury in the summer of 2006 but skated through it. She planned on competing during the 2007-08 season, but the injury acted up just before the regional championships, so she decided to take the year off.

“I love skating a lot but decided my health was more important,” Zukowski said.

Beginning in the fall, Zukowski will attend Temple University , where she plans to major in communications. Her long-term goal is to become an attorney. She participated in an exhibition show with the Delaware Ice Theatre last weekend to benefit the American Cancer Society.

“Skating has taken me places I never would have dreamed of going,” Zukowski said. “I am so thankful for the support I received from the University of Delaware , (former coaches) Jeff DiGregorio and Carla Briccotto and (most recent coach) Priscilla Hill.” She also gave special thanks to her mother, Theresa, "for all her support."

Zukowski says her favorite competition was always the U.S. Championships.

“All my friends from all around the nation would come,” she said. “Plus, skating allowed me and my mom to travel the world.”

sillylionlove

Medalist
Wait...a skater actually announced their retirement...instead of the usual taking time off to go to school, skate in shows, act, etc.and never really announcing anything and leaving us all guessing what they are going to do in the future.(Michelle, Irina, Alexi, Sasha, Evegny...take note.)

Well I wish her luck in the future.

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Wait...a skater actually announced their retirement...instead of the usual taking time off to go to school, skate in shows, act, etc.and never really announcing anything and leaving us all guessing what they are going to do in the future.(Michelle, Irina, Alexi, Sasha, Evegny...take note.)

^ Word.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker

As great as those skaters were - and indeed they were - and as much as I would cheer for them if they returned - and I would - I find I spend very little time lying awake in bed at night wondering what they plan to do.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
with all the juniors coming up I forgot about Christine this past season. too bad because I enjoyed her skating and thought she had potential. I think she had a 3/3?? i could be wrong about this though... 3 toe/3 toe?

well I hope she has a good time in college has the chance to learn new things. and yeah, kudos to her for actually saying "i am retiring."

We should remember her when we talk about the impact of CoP on young skaters.

I'm sorry her career had to end prematurely. She was doing so well before the injury. I enjoyed her skating and was looking forward to seeing how she would come along.

Best of luck in all you do, Christine! :rock:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm glad we got to see her perform at the University of Delaware and at Mike's shows. Wishing her all the best in college and beyond. :)

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
As great as those skaters were - and indeed they were - and as much as I would cheer for them if they returned - and I would - I find I spend very little time lying awake in bed at night wondering what they plan to do.

and you shouldn't. Everyone has to stop SOME day. And, as we say down here, "Next!" :cool:

And you two call yourselves skating fans... tisk tisk tisk... you are supposed to obsess, 24/7, about skaters, their intentions, their talents, and their flaws... didn't you get the memo??;);)