Back 3 Turns - Need Advice | Golden Skate

Back 3 Turns - Need Advice

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
I've been practicing back 3 turns for my silver test (not taking it any time soon). I have the back right outside turn, but I am struggling on the others, left back outside and the right & left inside. It's funny how such a little turn can be so hard. Any suggestions out there that might help?

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
Use your knees. Knee rhythm is really important in turns. Soft, easy bend in and out of the turn, with the rise during the turn itself. It should have an easy lilting quality to it as opposed to the brackets which are quick and sharp.

skatergirl45

On the Ice
I am working on juv moves and all i can say is PRACTICE PRACTICE and PRACTICE.
I just started the back power threes a few weeks ago and they have already gotten better.
If you skate a moves session do double the amount of thress that you do anything else. That will also help.

gkelly

Record Breaker
I struggle with these too. Left back inside is my nemesis (although I like the RBI one better than the back outsides).

In addition to the knee bend, I also have to make sure my upper body is twisted far enough that I'm facing where I'm going rather than where I came from before I turn, and also to make sure that my weight is far enough back on the blade before I turn.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Back three turns are achieved much further back on the blade than the forward three turns, which seems to make problems for some people as they want to turn it on the toepick like the forward threes.

studek

Rinkside
I'm just starting on these (again) too - I had them down pat in less than an hour all four ways on my old skates, but when i changed boots and blades I completely lost them and it's taken me a while to get them back, so I can share in your pain!

*Definitely bend the knees and twist hard (my coach tells me to reach my free arm/shoulder across my spine),
*Pull your toes up so you're not tempted to crunch down and "grab" the front of the skate which will throw you up onto the picks,
*Make sure you're looking where you want to be going and keep the head still when you turn,
*Make sure that your free leg is far enough across the skating leg that your balance is over your skating leg - if you free leg isn't crossed enough, it can throw off your balance a lot, making the turn harder.

Also, don't force the turn - when you get your body in the proper position, the turn will just happen (not what you want to hear, I know, but it's true!) and it will be a lot smoother. Good luck!!

Last edited:

gkelly

Record Breaker
BTW, I had real trouble finding the right balance on the blade when doing the back inside threes with my free leg in front, but once I started doing them with the free foot tucked behind the skating foot (as in forward turns or in quick double threes) I found them much easier.