USFS cost-cutting proposals for sectionals, regionals | Golden Skate

USFS cost-cutting proposals for sectionals, regionals

The big annual meeting of the USFS governing council is going on right now. Here is a report to the council from the committee charged with coming up with a plan to develop “successful business models” for competitions, with the goal of “reducing their dependence” on financial support from the national organization.

http://www.usfsa.org/content/events/200708/governingcouncil/Competition Task Force Report.pdf

The biggest money saving ideas are to charge a $150 registration fee for sectionals (projected savings to USFS, $67,000), the use of local officials instead of officials supplied by USFS (savings, $18,000), and a reduction of grants at regional championships (from $18,000 to $12,000).

There are also plans to combine events and to streamline lower level competitors directly to sectionals without mandatory regionals, and others directly to the U.S. junior championship without mandatory sectionals.

The bottom line is to require the local organizing committee to “become more self-sufficient” – in other words, to put on the show without financial help from USFS headquarters. Supposedly, USFS will give local organizing committees some tips about how to attract sponsors and raise money locally, to make up for the drying national well. :cry:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
The biggest money saving ideas are to charge a $150 registration fee for sectionals

ouch... this sport is just becoming more and more for the rich... not that it wasn't before...

Sylvia

Record Breaker
The $150 registration fee for sectionals went into effect this past season (2007-08).

skatergirl45

On the Ice
This is not too bad.
I am wondering, clubs are going to hurt with the lesser amount of money being awarded to them to host regionals. It is already getting hard to host regionals(at least in NE you have to have a 2 rink complex) clubs need more money to put this on.

Thanks to Sylvia and Backspin for pointing out that this is a progress report for an initiative that began last year. All the recommendations on the first 8 pages were already implemented in the 2007-08 season.

The last two years of the proposal appear to focus on ways that USFS can help local organizing committees to raise money and hold down expenses. What these ways might be seems a little vague at this point.

I think this belt tightening has to do with the expenses of 4CCs. Think about the cost for 18 skaters to go to Korea and 18 more to Junior Worlds in Capetown?

They do pay for chaperones too. Do they not? What about coaches?

What a budget!!!

Joe

chacha

Rinkside
USFSA does not pay for the chaperones. They take care of the athletes, coaches, team leaders, judges and team doctor. As for the Jr.Worlds, the host country takes care of the food and lodgings for athletes and the above authorities, except the chaperones. For the coaches, the parents still have to pay for their time and lessons during the competition.

USFSA does not pay for the chaperones. They take care of the athletes, coaches, team leaders, judges and team doctor. As for the Jr.Worlds, the host country takes care of the food and lodgings for athletes and the above authorities, except the chaperones. For the coaches, the parents still have to pay for their time and lessons during the competition.
Thanks Chacha - I really didn't know anything about the USFS Budget with regard to Team USA. Thanks so much. :agree:

Even without the chaperones, it is a big bill.

Joe

Nigel

On the Ice
Thanks Chacha - I really didn't know anything about the USFS Budget with regard to Team USA. Thanks so much. :agree:

Even without the chaperones, it is a big bill.

Joe

And Chacha...let's not forget the coaches' missed lessons that the parents of the skater also get to cover for the time that the coach is out of their rink. :laugh: It never gets less expensive!!!
Not to go off in another direction,....but when is USFS going to figure out that they need to market the sport differently and bring in some big sponsors again??

chacha

Rinkside
I agree. USFSA has done great job in these past few years. I hope they will continue to support young athletes to be able to compete internationally. Being in North America, the expense for traveling is much higher when we travel to Europe for most of the competitions. European skaters are very fortunate to be able to compete internationally, close to home. Our future financial status is not so bright, not sure what will happen to US skaters. Our coaches have been very reasonable, I can't complain. I believe that they understand parents' concern when come to money. Almost all of US skaters are self support, except for few who are on the top elite group.