Advice for Competition | Golden Skate

Advice for Competition

skatergirl45

On the Ice
So, I have not competed since the beginning of February and will be competing again 2 weeks from now.
I now have a new program and an axel and a double sal in my program.

Does anyone have any advice for the mindset I should use going into this competition or any help/stories about your first double in competition?

Thank you so much!

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
Don't spend too much time worrying about the double. That's just going to throw off your timing. Treat the program like anyother program you've compeated. If you can land the double at home you can land it in competiton.
Plus jumps arn't everything, especially at test level interclubs, think about getting into the ice and your knees and skating the program through and performing. This will improve your jumps and take off the pressure.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Concentrate on what you need to do to skate a successful program. Don't obsess about one or two elements as a great skate can beat more technical content.

mskater93

Record Breaker
You were asking about stories? Well, my first clean 2S in competition came at 2004 US Adult Nationals in Lake Placid. My coach has the picture to prove it, too! :rock:

vlaurend

Final Flight
The first time I ever tried my 2S in competition, I landed it clean. It's every time since then that I've had problems with it, LOL!

I agree that you should not get fixated on the double. Just take one element at a time and do exactly what you do in practice. Let your music give you that sense of familiarity and guide you with the timing. If you do that, you'll probably end up skating a clean or nearly clean program.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Good luck as you train and compete, we're all behind you cheering ya on at Golden Skate! :rock:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Well think about how you looked at the previous competition? where you happy with the way you skated? if not think about how you can approch this one diffrently. When I compete I really take each element one at a time and think them through. If you start rushing then nothing will go right. Good luck and knock em dead!

skatergirl45

On the Ice
My last competition all I focused on was winning and it did not go to well. I did not skate well, but worse I did not perform well.

Thank you all for your help and I will tell you how I do!

mskater93

Record Breaker
You can't fixate on result. You must set achievable personal goals such as skating clean or taking one element at a time. When you fixate on a result, which you don't control, there will always be issues.

C_T_T_

On the Ice
I remember my first competition with doubles only too well. I started off well, couple of nice axels and then one off the best 2S I'd ever done, was so excited! Then with all the big jumps out of the way I started to 'sell the program', just at that, I cliked my blades together on a backwards crossover and slid the length of the ice in a rather unattractive position nearly hitting the barrier! So embarassed, even now, 9 years on, I still cringe thinking about it!

Just remember a program is made up of more than 1 jump, so don't worry about the double too much. If you land it, great but if not, just do everything else as best as you can. Most importantly just have fun! Good Luck!

skatergirl45

On the Ice
Hi!

I would like to thank everyone for their help!

I came in 5th out of 13 competitors. I skated really well, but lost concentration on my last axel and fell. Overall, I felt as if I skated REALLY well.

Every bodies tips helped SO much!

:)

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Hi!

I would like to thank everyone for their help!

I came in 5th out of 13 competitors. I skated really well, but lost concentration on my last axel and fell. Overall, I felt as if I skated REALLY well.

Every bodies tips helped SO much!

:)

that is great! you should be so proud!