Predictions | Golden Skate

Predictions

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
Okay, I had to start a "Predictions" thread. I love to read them after the competitions are over and see how far off (or right on) we were!

Ladies: This could be quite close. Michelle seems to be in her "zone" around January-March, and competing this early in the season has never brought out the best. I expect to see her skate a good program, but no rousing "bring down the house" performance. I'll be excited to see her new programs however it turns out. Irina usually performs very well (I think 2 of her best performances ever were 01 GWG in Sept, she was great!). Sasha is a big question mark. If she can skate cleanly it could also be her night. Even if Anne-Patrice is perfect I don't imagine the judges will be ready to give her the marks she deserves just yet.

My pick for Gold: Sasha Cohen

Men: WOW....nearly too close to call. I'd have to say Alexei anyday. But he's coming off of an injury and a season of sitting on the sidelines. I don't expect him to be at his best. I think Plushenko will be ready.

My pick for Gold: Evgeny Plushenko

dewet

Final Flight
LADIES
1.Michelle Kwan
2.Sasha Cohen
3.Irina Slutskaya
4.Fumie Suguri
5.Ann Patrice McDonough
6.Elena Sokolova

No one's at their best, so I'd have to say Michelle. Irina hasn't had much competing last season, so I think she'll behind Sasha. Go Fumie! Go Irina!

MEN
1.Evgeny Plushenko
2.Timothy Goebel
3.Alexei Yagudin
4.Takeshi Honda
5.Ryan Jahnke
6.Michael Weiss

Evgeny will be good, and Alexei will not be at his best. Timothy will be nervous and miss some quads.

aly*cutie

On the Ice
the top three for ladies:
Sasha
Michelle
AP

the top three for men:
Tim
Takeshi Honda
Alexei

We don't know if the costume fits; the choreography is any good; the music fits the skater; the inconsistencies are still there; bigger and better jumps and jump combos; improvements in general. So I believe all predictions in this thread will be based on:

either a) last year results; or b) favorites - or both.

The Campbell's is an interesting chance to see how one can predict the rest of the season. The Campbell's is a competitive Warm-Up! It's not really a major contest.

Joe

Last edited:

windspirit

On the Ice
aly*cutie said:
the top three for men:
Tim
Takeshi Honda
Alexei
Is that a prediction or a wish? If a prediction, why do you think Plush won't be on the podium?

aly*cutie

On the Ice
windspirit said:
Is that a prediction or a wish? If a prediction, why do you think Plush won't be on the podium?

Its just a prediction, I am just thinking maybe he won't get on the podium. He's a great skater, but this is just my prediction for who I think will make it on the podium. Just an opinion.

sk8ing_lady2001

Final Flight
Men
1. Alexei
2. Evgeny
3. Tim
4. Michael
5. Takeshi
6. Ryan

Ladies
1. Michelle
2. Sasha
3. Irina
4. Elena
5. AP
6. Fumie

NanSinger2

On the Ice
sk8ing_lady2001 said:
Men
1. Alexei
2. Evgeny
3. Tim
4. Michael
5. Takeshi
6. Ryan

Ladies
1. Michelle
2. Sasha
3. Irina
4. Elena
5. AP
6. Fumie

I agree with most of your predictions, but wouldn't count Fumie as 6th...it will be interesting to see what Elena brings to the table after her big showing at Worlds, and further will be interesting to see what Irina brings after her last season.

I CAN'T WAIT!

boggartlaura

On the Ice
Men:
Plushy
Ryan
Yags
Tim
Michael
Takeshi

Ryan's never done a fluff comp before, and I think he's going to want to impress people and prepare for this like he would a regular competition. And since many of the other men won't be ready, he'll be able to medal. Yags will still be too hampered by the injury. The others won't be ready.

Ladies:
Michelle
Irina
AP
Sasha
Elena
Fumie

Fumie started off so weak last season, and I think the same thing will happen here. Sasha will screw up something. Elena won't be in shape yet. Michelle will be more polished than Irina.

Other:
Some American will be robbed, at least according to Peggy and Dick. S/D's exhibiton will suck, while B/A's will rock. Nevertheless, B/A will still not be shown. There will be very few quads from the men, and everyone will look underprepared.

TaraFanatic4eva

Rinkside
LADIES
1.Michelle Kwan
2.Ann Patrice McDonough
3.Irina Slutskaya
4.Sasha Cohen
5.Fumie Suguri
6.Elena Sokolova

For ladies, I am going to put Michelle at first. I have a lot of faith in AP for this season, and I think with her new coaches and choreography this summer, she can hit it big! I think Irina will do well, and although I love Sasha I have to place her there. I am not sure that I count Elena to place very high right now, but I will have to wait and see.

MEN
1.Evgeny Plushenko
2.Timothy Goebel
3.Alexei Yagudin
4.Takeshi Honda
5.Ryan Jahnke
6.Michael Weiss

For the men, I see Evgeny at top and Tim second. With Alexei out last season from competition, I think it might take a little bit to get the competitve juices flowing again, although I would love to see him do well. I love Ryan Jahnke too, but I think Takeshi Honda will top him, and I don't know what Michael will do right now.

Fumie will do her new Mozart program, she'll come out of the blocks in mid-season form and she'll grab the gold.

No, I mean the silver.:)

For the men, Michael Weiss will skate a clean program with a quad Lutz.

Mathman

rtureck

Final Flight
Mathman said:
Fumie will do her new Mozart program, she'll come out of the blocks in mid-season form and she'll grab the gold.

No, I mean the silver.:)

For the men, Michael Weiss will skate a clean program with a quad Lutz.

Mathman

MOZART !!! am I dreaming WOW !!!!

I think Fumie is one of the best skaters for Wofie's music.

rockababy

Spectator
I think I'm going to write my predictions when the men are warming up and the ladies are warming up(If the show it).

I don't see much difference in the predictions. The same posters are predicting the same skaters as they always do.

Check out the following:

Best choreography

Best suitable music (for the skater)

Best technique in Jumps and Spins

Best Footwork

Best connecting steps (including flow)

Anything innovative?

Speed and flexibility (if you must)

Most relaxed and effortless skate.

THE SKATERS WITH THE MOST PLUSES FROM THE ABOVE LIST ARE THE ONES TO WATCH IN THE GP SERIES AND THE NATS.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
LADIES
1.Irina
2.Michelle
3.Fumie
4.Elena
5.Sasha
6.AP

MEN
1.Evgeny
2.Alexei
3.Timothy
4.Mike
5.Takeshi
6.Ryan

Lcp88

On the Ice
I'm having the most trouble trying to place Alexei. Who knows what kind of shape he's going to be in. With Plushenco, Goebel, and Honda in there, it could be VERY tough. He may be slightly held up, he is the Olympic Champ, and that seems to play a significant role with judges (like last year.)
soooo:
Men:
1. Yagudin/Plushenco
2. Which ever didn't win gold of the above
3. Honda
4. Goebel
5. Weiss
6. Jhanke

Or, Ryan could also do incredibly well and place ahead of Weiss and even Honda.

Ladies:
I'm not sure. I'd place Elena either 5th or 6th, and AP third, but I don't have a clue about the rest.

Laura

curious

Final Flight
sarah was not held up and she is also the olympic champ. he can get third but I'm not sure he will be in shape to be on the podium.